Quantcast

Buying a fixed gear

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Not sure of how big the fixed gear crowd is, but for those of you that frequent this site, I gots me a question. I'm looking at doing the fixie thing, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Here's my options:
1. Convert a road frame I have laying around, buying parts for it (Probably run me about $600 total)
2. Buy an old fixie off Ebay (probably about $300-400)
3. Buy a new fixie (about $550-650)

Things to consider:
1. I'm about 210, 5'10", therefore I put down a lot of power
2. I don't have much experience/tools to deal with older parts, conversions,etc. I've converted a mtn bike to SS, but never a road bike
3. For the price difference, all options are equally attractive.

I'm leaning towards Option 3, so that I won't have to worry about things breaking, finding old parts, dealing with the headache, etc.

Any thoughts?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm pretty sure the only difference between a singlespeed and a fixie is that you use a gear instead of a freewheel on the hub right? Or do they make special hubs just for fixed gear?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Echo said:
I'm pretty sure the only difference between a singlespeed and a fixie is that you use a gear instead of a freewheel on the hub right? Or do they make special hubs just for fixed gear?
Mine has a special hub... and it's surprisingly expensive for a hub w/out anything fancy.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I borrowed a fixed gear from a friend for a few weeks last year. The first time I went to coast up to a stoplight I almost went over the bars :D

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
At 210 I wouldn't get a Bianchi. I'm a chick, and 135 and I can flex the bb on one of those pretty bad. It's an AWESOME bike, and I recommend it highly but yeh, it deffly is a flexy frame.
Other than that there is the Surly Steamroller, Soma, etc etc. I would look into building up something. I bought a pista and ended up just keeping the frame, then I just sold it to build up from an old frame. There's much more asthetic (sp) view in an older bike, and usually they are less flexy with the lugs if u can get them, then almost any new fixed frame.
Hope that helps. Oh Steal is REAL, especially for a fixed. If you have more detailed questions just shoot me a PM. I deal with couriers and fixie yuppies all darn day so i'm sure if I dont know the answer one of them will!

Good luck

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Well after doing some net research yesterday, think I'm actually going with the-build-up-it-with-parts route. It actually came out cheaper that route. Got a Jamis Nova frame (steel CX frame), to start with, Van Dessel fixed/free hub, and various cheap yet reliable parts. Should be a blast to ride :D