Quantcast

Buying my first REAL bike...

Well the time has come. I'm finally going to drop some money and start taking my riding seriously.

I've been riding crappy department store bikes since I was a wee lad, and I'm tired of them. When I was younger I could use the excuse that it was all I could afford. But as an adult, and intermediate level rider, I am embarrassed by my POS bike. I can’t seem to go a week without breaking something and I know I could do a lot more with better equipment.

So this is my new beginning, no longer will I just be a guy who rides mountain bikes, I will be a mountain biker. I have an unnatural draw toward Konas as I grew up near their distribution center in Ferndale, WA. I need something that can take some abuse and decent size drops, so I’m thinking about a Coiler. It’s inside my $2000 price range, but would offer upgradeability down the road.

Does anyone want to convince me to buy something else? I know Konas don’t use real cutting edge suspension designs, but I am looking more at value and durability, plus you have to remember that I am upgrading from a POS walmart bike, so the difference will be huge (especially in the weight department).

I have already bought some books and DVDs so I can start learning the ‘proper’ techniques to fix an maintain a newer bike, but the mechanical stuff has always been pretty easy for me.

So does anyone else have any suggestions for my ‘rebirth’? Tools or equipment I should look into, etc.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i think kona has the value/durability market covered, sounds like you've got all yr angles covered. end of the season is a good time to buy as well.

The problem is, i'm in florida right now. The nearest Kona dealer (that they list on their website) is 2 hours away and doesn't stock any Coilers. The guy can special order it for me @10% under retail, which comes out to $1529.10. I would really prefer to have a shop assemble it, so I may go this route. I don't know, there just aren't that many shops in this part of Florida. But I really want to get the bike now so I can start getting used to it and training before I move back to Washington next year.

Well, I was already pretty sure I wanted the Coiler, but you guys have reenforced that decition.

I'm going to get the Coiler. I've been checking online to see if I can get it cheaper anywhere, but there aren't a lot of places that ship Kona. I'm trying to avoid going used. But we'll see.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well, I was already pretty sure I wanted the Coiler, but you guys have reenforced that decition.

I'm going to get the Coiler. I've been checking online to see if I can get it cheaper anywhere, but there aren't a lot of places that ship Kona. I'm trying to avoid going used. But we'll see.
Go new. Also, I'd go with the shop, that's a great deal...and they'll prolly also be able to build it for ya. All in all, I think that would be the best option. Solid bike, solid deal, and the ability to upgrade...sounds like a match made in heaven.

Tool wise:
-Crank extractor (ISIS)
-full set of Allen wrenches (2mm - 10mm at least),
-various screwdrivers (flat and phillips),
-Torx heads (usually you can find a handle with swappable Torx bits),
-Open ended wrenches (8mm - 16mm).

-Tire levers (I use the metal moto levers...they work well.)

That's all I can think of at the moment, unless you're going to be all up in your bike's shizz from the get go...I've just amassed a lot of the specialty tools as I've gone along and learned more about how my bikes work.

Hope that helps.

Well, it's taken a little longer to get my bike than I thought it would. Unexpected financial emergency. But the tax return comes in a few days and I'm going still going to pick up a coiler, but now I can afford the deelux. I found a guy selling new ones fully assembled for 1500.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hahaha! The Coiler is mashed by my friends, who are all 200+.

Conversely, many "trail" bikes are bulked up XC bikes. The Coiler should hold up for you!

Well, I was going to find a used or closeout '06, but that's not panning out. No one rides these type of bikes around here and the closest Kona dealer is 3 hours away.

Talked to him and he is more than happy to order and build me an Coiler. No '06s left though, So I'm going to be paying almost full price for an '07.

Not bad, since I really want this bike, just disappointing that I can't find one cheaper.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I know several guys that all own konas and they cant speak highly enough about them. As long as it fits you well I think you will be really happy with your choice.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I know wheelworld.com has some coiler frames for sale cheap. If you want to go that route and look into one of their build kits, you could have it all shipped to you and could have any shop build it for a pretty nominal fee.

Coilers are sweet though. Good luck with it!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
so you grew up in ferndale eh? why not support transition the dirtbag is similar to the kona, just better quality and more unique. 7point series by ironhorse is good value as well.

edit, you could also buy my bike for $2200 :spam:

I've stuck with my gut and ordered the Coiler. I haven't ridden any of the Iron Horse bikes, and while I hear they are a great deal, I'm just more comfortable buying something I have demoed. Plus having a local shop assemble it and help me set it up properly is a big deal to me since I haven't owned decent bike before and I'm sure it's a little more complicated than my current POS.

Straight from the Kona site:

LIMITED WARRANTY

Kona Bicycle Company ( "Kona" ) makes the following limited Warranty:

*For Europe warranty details download 24KB Word document HERE, for the rest of the world please read on

ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON COMPLETE BICYCLE

Kona warrants to the original owner that this new Kona bicycle shall be free of defective materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of original purchase in the United States or Canada and operated under normal conditions and use. During this one-year period, Kona shall repair or replace, at its sole option, all parts that are found by Kona to be defective and subject to this limited warranty. The original owner shall pay all labor charges connected with the repair or replacement of all parts.

FOUR YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAME

Kona further warrants to the original owner that the frame of this new Kona bicycle purchased from an authorized Kona dealer shall be free of defective materials or workmanship for the first 4 years of ownership by the original owner, with the exception of Kona "Out of Bounds", "Downhill" and "BMX" bicycles which have a

1 year warranty. During this warranty period, Kona shall repair or replace, at its sole option, the bicycle frame if Kona determines the frame is defective and subject to this limited warranty. The original owner shall pay all labor and shipping charges connected with the repair or replacement of the bicycle frame.

GENERAL PROVISIONS

This limited warranty is made only to the original owner of this Kona bicycle purchased from an authorized Kona dealer, and it shall remain in force only as long as the original owner retains ownership of the Kona bicycle.

This limited warranty is not transferable. In order to obtain service under this Limited Warranty, the original owner must deliver the Kona bicycle to an authorized Kona dealer, together with the document identifying the Kona warranty card and the bill of sale or other dated proof of purchase document identifying the Kona bicycle by frame number. This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear, nor to defects, malfunctions or failures that result from the abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, alteration, modification, accident, or misuse (including, without limitation, bicycle racing, bicycle motocross, stunt bicycling or similar activities) of the Kona bicycle.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE ONLY EXPRESS OR LIMITED WARRANTY APPLICABLE TO KONA BICYCLES. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SHALL BE LIMITED IN SCOPE AND DURATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. KONA SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES SUFFERED BY ANY PARTY. THE FOREGOING STATEMENTS OF WARRANTY ARE EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER REMEDIES.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS; YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE OR PROVINCE TO PROVINCE. SOME STATES OR PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; SO, THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS SET FORTH IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

THE LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH HEREIN MAY NOT BE EXTENDED, ENLARGED OR OTHERWISE MODIFIED BY ANY KONA DEALER, AGENT OR EMPLOYEE, AND KONA DOES NOT ASSUME ANY LIABILITY OR MAKE ANY WARRANTY EXCEPT AS STATED IN THE LIMITED WARRANTY.

WARRANTY ONLY APPLIES IN U.S.A. AND CANADA. SEE YOUR DEALER FOR THE SPECIFIC WARRANTY IN YOUR COUNTRY. WARRANTY VALID ONLY IF BICYCLE IS ASSEMBLED BY AN AUTHORIZED KONA DEALER.

I understand, and accept the terms of the above warranty.
Entrance to this area consitutes acceptance, by the registered owner,
of the terms and conditions set forth in the warranty.

Already picked up my Coiler at the dealer last Saturday. Had it out for a couple of quick rides, but weather hasn't allowed anything epic yet.

It's a night and day difference from my old piece of crap bike. I know longer have to worry about it not shifting correctly, I can actually slow down and stop in a reasonable distance (vice the length of a runway with the old bike), and the suspension rolls over anything and doesn't rebound and bounce me back off. Plus it pedals and climbs pretty well for a big hit bike.

Oh yes, I definitely love my new ride.

Thanks everyone for the input!

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Woo, go Kona!
also, go Bellingham!
(I picked up an 06 Scrap the other day, so I know the 'new' kona feeling pretty well right about now)
snow at the beginning of march sucks eh?