Quantcast

By best batch of chili yet...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Here is the base recipe I used;

Mrs. Owen's Cook Book Chili

The original version of this recipe was first published in 1880. According to John Thorne, "This may be the earliest printed recipe for chili con carne and it is surprisingly authentic, save for the suspect addition of `espagnole,' a white sauce seasoned with ham, carrot, onion, celery, and clove." Mrs. Owen wrote, incorrectly: "This might be called the national dish of Mexico. Literally, it means `pepper with meat,' and when prepared to suit the taste of the average Mexican, is not misnamed." We have revised the recipe to add ingredient amounts, which, in the recipe-writing fashion of the day, Mrs. Owen omitted. We have retained most of Mrs. Owen’s original instructions.

2 pounds lean beef, cut into ½ -inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
Beef stock to cover
2 tablespoons white sauce (espagnole–see Joy of Cooking)
1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
5 New Mexican red chiles, seeds and stems removed
Water
Salt to taste

Take the lean beef and put to cook with a little oil. When well braised, add the onions, a clove of garlic chopped fine and one tablespoon flour. Mix and cover with water or stock and two tablespoons espagnole, 1 teaspoon each of ground oregano, comino (cumin), and coriander. Take the dried whole peppers and remove the seeds, cover with water and put to boil. When thoroughly cooked (soft) pass through a fine strainer. Add sufficient puree to the stew to make it good and hot, and salt to taste.

To be served with a border of Mexican beans (frijoles), well cooked in salted water and refried.

Yield: 6 servings

Heat Scale: Medium
I used 2lb of Angus steak, 1lb of hamburger and a couple Andouille sausages. I skipped the espagnole and used a bit of arrrow root instead of flour to thicken it. I also put like 4oz of tomato sauce in it for some body. Although next time I think I am gonna use alot more beef and sausage, I like it chunky like that.

I cooked it all day over low-medium heat (enough to keep a slow boil), and had a bowl. But it was definately better after sitting in the fridge overnight and reheating the next day. I served it up with some homeade cornbread, and was a happy camper.

I would call it two alarm chili, but the amount of heat seemed just right.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I always add a bottle or so of dark beer to my chilli. seems to always be what it's missing.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchiro said:
I had heard about that and actually thought about doing it, but my girlfriend is averse to beer...
like she can't drink it or doesn't like the taste?

I bet if you slipped a bottle in the batch, she wouldn't even notice. unless she has some allergic reaction or something.

try it. :D

or do what I do sometimes. make the batch of chilli, then take some out or cut it in half and make one how I want it.(usually really spicy). that way you have two kinds and everyone is happy. (cept for the person who gets to do the dishes...:))

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
berkshire_rider said:
Dice up 2 Jalapeno's for 3 1/2 alarm, or 2 Habanero's to breath fire for 5-alarm.
I would just throw in some more chipotle's or some Daves Insanity Sauce for more heat.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
pnj said:
like she can't drink it or doesn't like the taste?

I bet if you slipped a bottle in the batch, she wouldn't even notice. unless she has some allergic reaction or something.

try it. :D

or do what I do sometimes. make the batch of chilli, then take some out or cut it in half and make one how I want it.(usually really spicy). that way you have two kinds and everyone is happy. (cept for the person who gets to do the dishes...:))
She doesn't liek the taste, I had wondered about using some tequilla in it though and see what that did.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You need to throw in some 6am reserve - hottest food additive in the world - some batches are as high as 16 million SU:

THIS IS A MASTERPIECE. THE CONTENTS OF 6AM RANGE FROM A LOW OF 10.3 MILLION TO A PURE 16 MILLION...IN ADDITION TO SEAL THIS WORK OF ART, WE CREATED TWO NEW WAXES; FIRE YELLOW AND POWER PURPLE
Price:$124.95
They also make some normal hot sauces that are really tasty and make dave's seem like weak and unflavorful in comparison

Here is a chart of the various top hot sauces/additives: http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot Sauce/hothome.htm

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think additives are kind of cheating, you gotta incorporate the heat into the food naturally. It doesn't take very many Habanero's to make something unbearable.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Tenchiro said:
I think additives are kind of cheating, you gotta incorporate the heat into the food naturally. It doesn't take very many Habanero's to make something unbearable.
That's why I like Blair's Sauces - they have natural ingredients and have a ton of taste. They aren't just hot like some other brands. I've never tried Blair's reserve additives - too expensive

http://www.deathsauce.com

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchiro said:

I agree. raw ingrediants is the only way to go.