Quantcast

Bye bye Netflix

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
60% increase for entry level rate....

article said:
Netflix Inc. boosted by 60% the price of its cheapest movie-rental plan that includes streaming and DVD rentals, triggering an outcry among customers who still use the disc format despite the growing popularity of online movies.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company said it will no longer offer a $9.99-a-month plan that allows members to stream an unlimited number of movies over the Internet and to rent one DVD at a time. In its place, Netflix subscribers will have to pay $15.98 a month for a plan that combines an existing $7.99-a-month streaming-only movie service with a new $7.99-a-month DVD-only rental plan that lets them check out one disc at a time.
I went to Netflix after cable TV got too expensive ($85/month). Now looks like I'm back to live streaming video from various sources, bittorrent, Redbox and the good old faithful, the library.

Phuck Netflix.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We are debating this now. I watch a ton of streaming while Wifey watches DVD. This just pushed me over the edge to get rid of all but my internet subscription.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone has their panties in a bunch over this. Companies have to raise their prices sometimes. I would pay double that if they could stream their whole library.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i also pay the $3 premium to get bluray. as of right now its $20 / month. Even if Liz and I only watch 1 movie a month (which never happens, we watch a lot of movies), its still worth it to us because its cheaper than a movie theater with all these NJ mouth breathers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would pay double that if they could stream their whole library.
ultimately that's their goal (ceo said in an interview somewhere). 2 limiting factors right now:

-movie studio people are greedy and want more money $$$ (pretty much why this price increase is happening)

-network infrastructure

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone has their panties in a bunch over this. Companies have to raise their prices sometimes. I would pay double that if they could stream their whole library.
Because a 60% increase in price means I have a 90% chance of saying fvck it, cancelling Netflix, and getting Showtime back.

I miss seeing Susan Sarandon's daughters' boobs on Californication.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Because a 60% increase in price means I have a 90% chance of saying fvck it, cancelling Netflix, and getting Showtime back.

+ rep

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

and for exactly $0 i'm sure you could find them on the internet

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville

But this 60% increase we're talking about amounts to a worst case scenario of $5 per month. Mine will only be going up $3. Just skip one of your venti soy low fat caramel macchiatos and problem solved.

Though I do agree with the bewb situation.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
But this 60% increase we're talking about amounts to a worst case scenario of $5 per month. Mine will only be going up $3. Just skip one of your venti soy low fat caramel macchiatos and problem solved.

Though I do agree with the bewb situation.
Math fail? Currently $10/month. New cost, $16/month. $6x12=$72/year extra.

Yeah, we have it because it's a nice little package and worth it at $10/month. We watch ~3-4 DVDs per month (usually around one per weekend, on average), and probably stream about the same. For $10 it was worth the legitimacy of not illegally streaming or downloading via bittorrent. The selection sucks, and the video quality wasn't that great, but it was worth it to have a legal option.

Now they're saying "thank you" for our subscription for the last couple years by jacking up rates? No thanks. Tell you what, Netflix, maybe when you improve your infrastructure and get more movies available for streaming, we'll come back. Till then, it's bittorrent, Redbox ($1/movie), free library movies, and online streaming.

edit: I also don't drink fru-fru coffee drinks....

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
My bad it was an increase of $5.98 per month instead of $5 per month. I didn't include the change. Still though - I perceive the increase as being totally worth the services. They were undercharging in the first place.

The coffee drink thing was aimed at Silver (hence why I quoted him). I was trying to figure out what super liberal types consume on a regular basis that's in the neighborhood of $5 and that's what I came up with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Math fail? Currently $10/month. New cost, $16/month. $6x12=$72/year extra.

Yeah, we have it because it's a nice little package and worth it at $10/month. We watch ~3-4 DVDs per month (usually around one per weekend, on average), and probably stream about the same. For $10 it was worth the legitimacy of not illegally streaming or downloading via bittorrent. The selection sucks, and the video quality wasn't that great, but it was worth it to have a legal option.

Now they're saying "thank you" for our subscription for the last couple years by jacking up rates? No thanks. Tell you what, Netflix, maybe when you improve your infrastructure and get more movies available for streaming, we'll come back. Till then, it's bittorrent, Redbox ($1/movie), free library movies, and online streaming.

que? what setup were you using. i've been getting really good quality streaming through my ps3.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
que? what setup were you using. i've been getting really good quality streaming through my ps3.
Streamed onto a 15" laptop with a 6mb downstream service. Not sure whether it's the fact it notices that we're on a laptop, or whether we're between "preset download speeds", but the quality pretty much sucked, especially compared to Hi-Def sporting events that we've watched in the past (Olympics, World Cup, etc). The Olympics was an amazingly clear signal, and was only a 3.5mb down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Streamed onto a 15" laptop with a 6mb downstream service. Not sure whether it's the fact it notices that we're on a laptop, or whether we're between "preset download speeds", but the quality pretty much sucked, especially compared to Hi-Def sporting events that we've watched in the past (Olympics, World Cup, etc). The Olympics was an amazingly clear signal, and was only a 3.5mb down.
wireless or wired? i noticed the difference between the 2 on my ps3.

FWIW i run it on a 61" tv and looks as good as a dvd, in some cases better.

check your settings; i know netflix has bitrate control options in canada for streaming, and i'm pretty sure they've been rolling it out in the states too.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's still the same price as when it first debuted, only now they offer streaming. Don't forget, a few years back they dropped the price a couple bucks and actually told their existing customs...something cable would never do.

3 dvds at a time and streaming is still less than $20.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The coffee drink thing was aimed at Silver (hence why I quoted him). I was trying to figure out what super liberal types consume on a regular basis that's in the neighborhood of $5 and that's what I came up with.
I roast my own beans. I don't buy $5 milk drinks.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
wireless or wired? i noticed the difference between the 2 on my ps3.

FWIW i run it on a 61" tv and looks as good as a dvd, in some cases better.
If it's running through your PS3 how come the quality isn't HD? PS3s have hdmi don't they? Is it an option to get a HD service or is it a speed problem?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
He isn't white.
Does his mum know?
To be fair, I'd watch this again in SD
It's a sickness in your brain,
just like trying to pass for white.

I'm not white?

-Sit down.
-This is a scandal!

What do you mean, I'm not white?

Why didn't you tell me this before?

-My own sister!
-Sit down.

Goodness gracious!
A lot of adjustments have to be made.

I have to cancel the swimming lessons.

What will the guys at the club say?
I'm not white!

It feels like it.

Goodness gracious, you're right!
-Lord, help me.
-Does Dad know?

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
not all hd. bandwidth.
Was coincidentally reading about this today.
Aussies can soon rent movies online via Quickflix, watching them on Sony TVs and Blu-ray players or their computers

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/quickflix-comes-to-sony-gear-and-pcs-20110713-1hd00.html#ixzz1RzHnDFcd
More interesting was the comments section section.
Yeah, picture quality on PS3 and Xbox 360 movie rentals is pretty average compared to Apple TV and TiVo. These days, I reckon an entry-level Sony Blu-ray player (or maybe a Boxee Box) makes more sense than a PS3 as a media player - which as you say is annoying for those who backed the PS3 is their all-in-one device.
Was looking at a PS3 or an Xbox for just that, might have to reconsider my options.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm keeping it. It'll be just shy of $23/month for our plan (2 Blu-Rays at once so that teh wife and I can keep separate queues + streaming). That's still a good deal, imo, even if it is an increase.

On the other hand, I think I'm going to ditch our fancy FiOS for something cheaper when the contract is up. Although it is awesome to download the latest Top Gear torrent at 3 MB/s (big B, not little b), it seems too expensive at $70/mo for 20/20 Mbps up/down.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If a change of $6 a month puts you in such a financial bind that you're contemplating dropping this service and cable altogether, I highly suggest you find a new job/career/lifestyle.

Or, drop the DVD/streaming options to get a cheaper rate.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
not everything they have is in HD
It depends on your connection speed too. I have cable (30mbs) and during busy times when my speed drops to 1/2 that I notice the resolution decreases, but overall I think it's fine.

I will end up paying $5 more a month, just got the email, but would pay even more if everything was streaming. It's so convenient it makes simply waiting 2 days to exchange a disk seem ridiculous.