Quantcast

Cable-actuated disks???

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

As a proponent of hydraulic disks (Magura), I wonder why so many of you are so stoked with cable-actuated disks? For roughly the same price as a set of Avids, you can get a set of Magura Julies or Shimano Deores and have the added bonus of low-maintenance and incredible stopping power.

This isn't a flame - I'm just curious what the draw is. Why is it that YOU like them?

ant:

Chimp
May 17, 2002
Long Island, NY
Avid mech's have amazing stopping power, great modulation & adjustability without tools...

For serious dowhilling or heavy trail riding I would stay wit hydros, but when its mostly freeridign and street avids do the job...

Having used both types, the cable actuated(Avids's not Hayes) are at least as powerful as hydro's, much simpler to install, and require no additional maintance over the Hydraulics. Unless adjusting the pads as they wear is considered maintaince. That function takes under ten seconds front and rear once a month or so. If you have Avid's speed dial levers then the brake modulation is actually better as well.

I guess it could be posted the other way too. Why would you use expensive brakes that are a bugger to set up and can leak when the Avids are better, cheaper, and cannot ever leak?

I'm glad so many people have not yet "seen the light". If they were all using the Avid brakes the price would not be so good. It's the Hydraulic brake users we have to thank for the price Avid charges. They are cheap to lure the shopper from the hydraulic choice. If everyone was on track Avid could charge as much as Hydro's and they would still sell them!

No Flame or Really any debate. Thank goodness both types are available for the different opinions and the people who like the various choices. I'll be using Avids for the foreseeable future, With the 8 inch front rotor on my Stinky Deelux they are simply the best I have ever used.

I also think the Phrase " hydraulic disc brakes" was a status statement when they first showed up on the market. If you were serious about high speed or down hills they were the brakes to have, nothing else even came close. However like every thing else in life the competition was nipping at their heals and what do you know a better idea emerged!

I hear this contamination issue with cables all the time regarding Avid's brakes. I ride year round and many many days in snow, slush and mud. I have never had a single issue with contaminated brake lines. My housings are sealed from the lever to the caliper with little rubber boots. Similiar to the XT derailler. If contamination was an issue why do deraillers work so well when in the exact same location and with the exact same connections?

Good cables and proper installation are all that is needed. I have 998 miles on my XC bike with Avids since Jan 3rd. I was also out of the country for two months working in Africa. So in five months of riding with about 1000 off road miles I have never adjusted the cables or had to remove them to clean anything yet. However I have had to adjust my derailler cables twice in that time.

I wish you well on you choice of brakes, thanks for helping to keep the price of Avids affordable for the rest of us!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've never used avids before but all those positive reviews can't be wrong...but what about in high heat situations, ie DHing. That plastic Red dial seems that it could actually melt on a long DH run...can anyone confirm?

zazen

Chimp
Dec 2, 2001
san francisco
I had Hayes HMX on my stinky and had nothing but problems.
I finally toasted them on a DH race and the little plastic dial (black on hayes) indeed sort of melted.

Mechanichal do have a great modulation (from dragging to slowing down, no braking to be found)

Happy owner of hope now

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

As a proponent of hydraulic disks (Magura), I wonder why so many of you are so stoked with cable-actuated disks? For roughly the same price as a set of Avids, you can get a set of Magura Julies or Shimano Deores and have the added bonus of low-maintenance and incredible stopping power.

This isn't a flame - I'm just curious what the draw is. Why is it that YOU like them?
My buddy has Deore Hydraulics. They're a fine brake, but my Avid's have much more power. In fact they have easily as much power as a Hayes 6" hydraulic... they just require a little more effort, which I don't have a problem with. I really want an 8" rotor for the front though.

Low maintainence? Haven't touched my front (the older one) Avid in 8 months. Still works like the day the pads burnished in. Only thing I've had to do is adjust for pad wear, and if I feel the need, adjust the modulation via the lever.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I think as far as Avid goes, you get the following that you can't get with Deore hydros, for example:

-modulation adjustment
-pad engagement adjustment

and when compared to all other hydro brakes:
-CHEAP

All other things being equal (maintenance, power, reliability), wouldn't you rather be able to make those two adjustments? And have better stopping power than Deore (according to some), and equal to that of Hayes for less $$$? Sign me up....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I think a good rule of thumb is simple. If you are going for the Avids congrats. Hayes suck. I have no true stopping power and intend to replace them in the fall. I need to REALLY pull the levers to stop. They are great for slowing down though :)

B

bighitfsr

The weak spot of a hydro disc brake is the lever.
I run the levers of my XT hyrdo's on my dh bike loose so they wont get dammaged in a crash.
Replacing a hydro lever is often as expensive as a whole new brake.
I wouldn't use Hydro's on a Dirt Jump/urban/trials type bike which gets dropped all the time because I'd be worried about dammaging brake levers.
Avid speed dial levers offer more adjustment than any hydro lever.
Avids have as much power as hydros but do lack some fine control of 4 pot hydros which makes a hydro front brake worthwhile.
Avid are also lighter than cheap hydros.