Quantcast

California roll appreciation

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am becoming addicted to these things. I like the spicy shrimp rolls (not fried). I tried tuna last week too and it was awesome, served with fresh wasabi that was so hot it made my eyes tear. Who's with me?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well in that case, try some eel avocado rolls :drool:

spider rolls are great too (softshell crab), much better has a handroll than a regular roll (handroll is basically like a sushi ice cream cone, the fish - crab in this case - and rice are wrapped in seaweed that is cone shaped)

spicy scallop rolls are great too

philadelphia rolls aren't bad either (its either salmon or tuna and cream cheese)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so come visit :)

I learned about some stuff that way (recommendations / ordering with others). I kinda just experiment now... get a few rolls I know I like (or would like - based on contents) and then something out there.

Roe is something I still haven't really acquired the taste for...

I'd say that sea urchin is probably the most uh, out there that i've tried (and it was pretty good. then again we were pretty deep into the sake when we tried it)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am just not down with fake crab. Or cream cheese in a roll.

To me rolls serve the (valuable) function of inexpensively rounding out a japanese meal. But there is so much flavor and texture lost once you roll your ingredients that I prefer to stick with sashimi and nigiri, and keep the rolls simple (often veggie, since there is usually plenty of protein).

As for what to order, sit at the bar and talk to the chef throughout your meal. Be honest about what you like ask for ideas. Or ask for an omakase meal, which means chef's choice. ("Putting yourself in the chef's hands" is a more literal translation.) You'll usually get a range of raw and cooked dishes and a much better glimpse of what the chef is about that ordering a la carte. I always learn something when I do omakase.

Worst case, you don't like some of your food. It's ok, you will eat again. Probably that same day!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The OP never mentioned eating fake crap ffs. I live in New England for crying out loud...there is awesome crab everywhere. Shut up about the fake crab.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Sushi FTW! I like most of what i've tried, but unagi is for sure near the top. Spicy salmon or spicy tuna are always good. I like a nice combo/mixture of rolls, sashimi and nigiri. And dont forget lots of wasabiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maine lobster is great and all, but it doesn't quite compare to catching a bunch of spiny lobsters by hand and then grilling them once you get back to the dock :drool:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yes. They're only found in tropical areas. Living in warm water gives them incredible flavor, but no claws (so you'll need to bag yourself 4 or 5 cuz you can only really eat the tails).
They aren't true lobsters and there are some species that live in the colder Australasian waters (like around NZ - Kaikoura is named after them). Also called crayfish or rock lobster depending on where you are.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm going for sushi after work tonight. As you can see from this pic of my dinner the last time that the unagi, soft shell crab AND spicy tuna are all well represented. I almost always sit at the bar so I might take OGRipper's suggestion and see how the Chef can surprise me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They aren't true lobsters and there are some species that live in the colder Australasian waters (like around NZ - Kaikoura is named after them). Also called crayfish or rock lobster depending on where you are.
call 'em whatever you want, those buggers are delicious.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I've dropped so much coin at the sushi place that's 4 blocks from me. I don't think I've ever gotten out of there for less than $50 for just myself but it's one of the best joints in the greater Seattle area. I've done omakase a few times and it rules.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ok kids, I went to a sushi restaurant yesterday and had a variety of rolls. All were great except for the peanut one. Four of us split eight rolls.

Spider roll was awesome omnomnom
Philadelphia roll (raw salmon)
Veggie tempura
Chicken tempura
shrimp roll
one was raw yellowtail
the one with peanuts
spicy raw tuna with caviar on it

These all had names but I can't remember. Eight rolls though...five were cooked/veggie and three were raw. It was good eats. I think I prefer the non-tempura ones because you can actually taste the fish if it's not fried. Next time maybe we'll get more adventurous and order up some sashimi. I told our friends to go easy on me, so they stuck to the rolls.

I suck at teh chopsticks.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I don't think anyone has mentioned salmon skin rolls yet. Delicious.

On a related note, abalone sashimi is quite tasty.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Parents took me out for a bday lunch today for sushi....mmmmmmm.
Ordered a big variety of rolls/nigiri/sashimi...sooooooo goood. I LOVE unagi.