Quantcast

Calling all nerds/geeks. Setting up VPN?

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Here's the scenario.

I've got about 5 computers at work, and one "file-server". File server holds all of our files, majority of them MS word or excel. I need to be able to make these accessible out of the office.

Now. All 5 computers have XP Home loaded on them.. I'm not so sure upgradin the OS is much of an option, so I'll have to deal. I've created a VPN connection on the file server, so I think I have all that set.

My problem is with IP's. The IP's are all private IP's, 192.168.1.**. If you use the WAN IP in the router (linksys), it's the internet address, am I correct? However, that internet address points to the router, not to a specific computer. I did some research and I guess I need to set up some sort of IP/route forwarding? I tried tooling around with the tab in the linksys control panel and I just can't figure it out.

Would appreciate some help :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This won't be VPN you are setting up, but port forwarding...so I'm assuming that you have the security issues figured out.

Type your router's ip into your browser (probably 192.168.1.1) and authenticate.

Port forwarding will be in there...under Applications and Gaming or Forwarding, depending on how old your router is.

You know which ports you need to forward?

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Silver
This won't be VPN you are setting up, but port forwarding...so I'm assuming that you have the security issues figured out.

Type your router's ip into your browser (probably 192.168.1.1) and authenticate.

Port forwarding will be in there...under Applications and Gaming or Forwarding, depending on how old your router is.

You know which ports you need to forward?
No I don't know which ports. And no on the security issue. Am I lost between two completely different things?

I thought VPN was "dialing in" to a network. Not a dialup connection in, but you're online, and you can enter the IP of the network you want to access and then it'll be like you're on that network, just out of the office. That's what I want to do, I followed it a long time ago but I can't duplicate it this time. I just need to figure out what IP to put in?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by DLo
No I don't know which ports. And no on the security issue. Am I lost between two completely different things?

I thought VPN was "dialing in" to a network. Not a dialup connection in, but you're online, and you can enter the IP of the network you want to access and then it'll be like you're on that network, just out of the office. That's what I want to do, I followed it a long time ago but I can't duplicate it this time. I just need to figure out what IP to put in?
yes, you are. some routers will let you set up a vpn. port forwarding != vpn tho. what i do for my company is port forwarding + vnc. totally insecure :thumb: heh

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Toshi
yes, you are. some routers will let you set up a vpn. port forwarding != vpn tho. what i do for my company is port forwarding + vnc. totally insecure :thumb: heh
Ah right. I know VPN is not the same as port forwarding. But I want to figure out how or what IP I need to enter in from a client side in order to make this work. And how to set it up on the server side.

I could do port forwarding + VNC, but I'm not sure how to work this port forwarding either ;) In the linksys router, under port forwarding tab - these are the options I have. Customized Applications, Ext. port, protocol TCP, Protocol UDP, IP addy, enable.

I don't know what the TCP and UDP are, and I'm not sure what ports to enter for VNC. I thought it would just be 5900 to 5900, but I guess I was wrong?