Quantcast

calorie intake....help me, mommy

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so now that my girlfriend's gone on her internship, i really don't eat as much. she's got like a hyperfast metabolism, i don't. so when she was here, i'd generally eat whenever she did. it hasn't killed me, i've been at the same weight for 2.5, 3yrs.

but now that she's gone, i eat very little. for example, i had about 1000 calories yesterday. today so far today i've had 435. most of this comes from cereal (dry and with milk), and plain turkey sandwiches. it basically comes down to i don't know what else to eat. but, my question, is this bad? consuming that few calories? is it taking a toll on my metabolism?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
the Inbred said:
so now that my girlfriend's gone on her internship, i really don't eat as much. she's got like a hyperfast metabolism, i don't. so when she was here, i'd generally eat whenever she did. it hasn't killed me, i've been at the same weight for 2.5, 3yrs.

but now that she's gone, i eat very little. for example, i had about 1000 calories yesterday. today so far today i've had 435. most of this comes from cereal (dry and with milk), and plain turkey sandwiches. it basically comes down to i don't know what else to eat. but, my question, is this bad? consuming that few calories? is it taking a toll on my metabolism?
Actaully it's great for you lol. Supposedly the slower your metabolism and there fore the less you eat, the longer you will live. The oldest ppl in the world didn't eat alot. It has something to do with toxins entering your body and the fact that your body simply burns out faster if it has a high metabolism, so all the power to you. :thumb: BTW I'm like that to, I'm almost 6'3'' and about 180# last checked, all muscles btw, and I don't need to eat very much at all maybe 1200cal when not training at all to feel satisfied. However, I love food.....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
If you aren't active at all, then that's probably fine. I know that when I'm training, eating that few calories would cause me to pass out.

Of course, I should probably point out the obvious that you are missing some of the food groups...that ain't healthy.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Heidi said:
Of course, I should probably point out the obvious that you are missing some of the food groups...that ain't healthy.
well yeah, i tend to incorporate them in. they just aren't as consistent as a plain turkey sandwich, and cereal (which are both just about everyday...can't believe i'm not burned out on turkey)

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
you sound like me...it's hard to want to eat when there's no one else to really eat with, and I almost never cook when I'm on my own. My weekends usually are my calorie intake cuz I'm with Steve and we tend to both want to eat more when together.

However, I nearly passed out at work a couple months ago from not enough food the past few days. I love fruit, and had been living on a banana in the morning, an apple sometime during the day, coffee and a glass of milk. Dinner time was a chicken breast or soup or something quick and easy that could cook while I showered.

Now I try and get into a routine - though that's only sorta fun :). I have a glass of milk before work with my vitamins (so 5am)...coffee when I get to work...a banana around 8ish...the night before work I pack a lunch, usually rice and some sorta meat product (this week it's leftover pork), usually it's a quick stirfry I throw together Monday night and live on at lunchtimes, or yogurts and more fruit...
Dinners tend to be one thing each week...I make a big something on Monday and live on it....my usuals are: chicken breasts or nachos if I made guac that week; a huge salad that stays in my salad bowl all week; or rice and soup...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
exactly! though, during the day, if i get the jitters, i realize i need to eat. at that point i find a Snickers to hold me over till i get home.

i'm gonna try that big chicken on monday. well, tuesday actually. mondays, wednesdays, and sundays i have meeting from 7 - 9 or later.

now i'm off to eat my soup.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Try stocking up on things you love that are small and easy to carry with you during the day...I hate the vending machine lure, or the lure of the munchies in the office snackroom.
Usually when I go grocery shopping I grab things in sets of 5 or 10 - so I have enough to get me through a week without needing to return to the store. 5 yogurts, 5 apples, 5 bananas, and so on.
I've also found that things like soy crisps are quite tasty and have enough protein and other healthy goodies that I can "munch" in the afternoons...It's not so much calories as it is putting good things in my body.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I see this all the time with my clients. Somehow a lot of people between the age of 15 and 30 never got into the habit of eating well. I blame the rock-music. Or the violent video games.

If you aren't loosing weight you are eating enough. If you add exercise into the mix you need to kick it up a notch BAM!

If you cared about performance and whatnot you would really need to revamp your entire lifestyle, for instance I would wager that a large proportion of your calories are coming from beer and liquor.

Something to consider when you count your daily energy intake. Eating a real breakfast, real lunch and real dinner will do amazing things for a body, like make you smarter and better looking.

You should build a big metal box inside your appartment and seal yourself in to it naked. Measure the temperature for a day to get an idea of your basal caloric consumption, and then pay $5000 a month for Tony Little to cook for you.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, the one thing i can comment on is the beer and liquor. i don't drink liquor, and maybe drink 2 beers a week.

i am trying to get into the habit of eating a real breakfast and dinner, though. lunch is the hard one.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SuspectDevice said:
I see this all the time with my clients. Somehow a lot of people between the age of 15 and 30 never got into the habit of eating well. I blame the rock-music. Or the violent video games.
That or the lack of true dedication to sports. I for the last 2-3 year (17 now) have been eating crazy well, almost zero bad food. I haven;t had a hamburger in 3 years.....of course I'm a cyclist and runner but I have 2 good friends who are both aiming to make the NHL one of them I think will, and they both eat ALOT but very well...so it's just to do with if your into sports, not football thouugh or DH though.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've never eaten well. many factors went into that.

did you see the MTV True Life with the kid who wanted to play football at Notre Dame? that guy ate anything and everything in sight, good or bad. i was always under the impression that if you burn the calories you take in, you can eat whatever you want. (that kid is now one of the better players on the ND offensive line)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
the Inbred said:
i've never eaten well. many factors went into that.

did you see the MTV True Life with the kid who wanted to play football at Notre Dame? that guy ate anything and everything in sight, good or bad. i was always under the impression that if you burn the calories you take in, you can eat whatever you want. (that kid is now one of the better players on the ND offensive line)
That is pretty true for power atheletes, but endurance or speed atheletes need to pay attention to getting enough carbs...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I don't know how accurate these things are: Calorie calculator

Claims to maintain my svelte 220lbs(6'3") riding 10 miles/day, I need to consume 4200 calories/day. Holy batman, that is a lot of food. I do start feeling crappy if I don't eat enough for a couple of days.

This one is a little more invloved.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
how do i go about deciding what a single serving of chicken breast is? i don't have a scale or anything. and what about nutritional info of plain, grilled chicken breast?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
fitday is a great site. a serving size of chicken is about the size of a deck of cards. you sound a lot like tn. it is so hard to get him to eat. i just pre cook a laot of food and put it in the fridge. if its easy and accesible he will eat it. if not he won't eat anything all day it seems.

peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat is an easy portable way to get in a good 400 calories in the middle of the day if you are having issues with lunch. i find on days when my appetite is lacking pb and j is on of the easiest things for me to get down. it is very rare for me to have a lacking appetite though.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
laura said:
fitday is a great site. a serving size of chicken is about the size of a deck of cards. you sound a lot like tn. it is so hard to get him to eat. i just pre cook a laot of food and put it in the fridge. if its easy and accesible he will eat it. if not he won't eat anything all day it seems.
yep. me to a T.

i'll give PB&J a try tomorrow. gonna be an all-day marathon on campus, as well as thursday. and today. i'm craving grilled chicken though. i hear it calling my name from the freezer.

by the way, size of a deck of cards before or after it cooks?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the Inbred said:
yep. me to a T.

i'll give PB&J a try tomorrow. gonna be an all-day marathon on campus, as well as thursday. and today. i'm craving grilled chicken though. i hear it calling my name from the freezer.

by the way, size of a deck of cards before or after it cooks?
after it cooks, but it certainly won't hurt you to eat a little more than a serving size, especially if you are eating boneless skinless chicken that isn't battered or fried. i don't know if you can stomach cliff bars/luna bars or pria bars,( i like those cliff mojo bars), but those are good supplements, every now and then, to a diet that is lacking. they make good pick me up snacks in the afternoon. kinda high in carbs but if you are active that's no big deal.

there are so many fitness and nutrition websites that will answer a lot of basic questions you have about calorie intake, serving sizes, best choices etc. I keep up with everything i eat and am pretty anal about knowing exact measurements most of the time. once you get the habbit of paying attention to what you eat, it will become more of a habbit and less of a chore.