Quantcast

Cam Zink is evil for 2011!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Cam Zink - For 2011 I will be riding for Evil bikes. I think with Corsair there were some things going on internally that prevented them from getting bikes in the stores and taking the next step.

Wow! That's bummer! (for Corsair)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I like the way that Zink says one of the reasons he's leaving Corsair is because there were problems getting the bikes to people. So he joins Evil?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
yeah that's the quote I was alluding to....seems he could have gone anywhere really after the year he's had. I hope bike problems don't mess up his next season

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
great rider, no tact...good job burning more bridges like he did at felt. Maybe if he were better at advertising, he'd be on a big brand making more money

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Well, I think there are not so many big companys searching a freeride/slopestyle guy. They all have their lineup... Trek: Mccaul and Semenuk, Specialized: Claw and Soderstrom. Scott reduced their gravity team this year. Kona also. And the other big names are not so into the freeride/slopestyle market.
And, yeah, evil had to come with a big name after loosing two of them...

And if they pay good, why not? It's just a frame sponsor after all...

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
great rider, no tact...good job burning more bridges like he did at felt. Maybe if he were better at advertising, he'd be on a big brand making more money
I disagree.
The thing with Felt, yeah, that wasn't good.
But this time, he didn't badmouth Corsair, he was just honest about what happened. He still said they make a great product. I guess I prefer that over avoiding the question or making some lame PR statement.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I think its good to see that Evil is still clawing at it and staying in the game. Eventually everything will get sorted out and all will be well with them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The evil hating has climbed to new levels around here...

Obviously they have longer range plan to ink a deal like this, obviously the doors aren’t shutting, and obviously they will have a short travel bike for him to ride in 2011.

Psyched to see evil is making commitments like this...I dig their bikes and want to see them do well.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I disagree.
But this time, he didn't badmouth Corsair, he was just honest about what happened. He still said they make a great product. I guess I prefer that over avoiding the question or making some lame PR statement.
i think being honest and tactful is a hazy line sometimes. Point being, it didn't need to be said. I reread it though...he did say some nicer things after that point. i guess i was surprised he said that and didn't read the rest well enough. If it were me, i'm a more of the avoid the question to lessen controversy, but i guess that's why i work in PR/marketing

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I disagree.
Not trying to start anything, but saying negative things about a previous employer or pointing out their flaws is always bad business. And this is his business.

Nobody wants to hear that your previous employer sucked...they want to hear what you did and that you were grateful for the opportunity. We are all left to assume that this is just part of why he is not on a major team with his resume.

When you're the best at something, usually the money finds you?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
You guys see this- Steve Smith to Devinci

Steve Smith
DEVINCI GLOBAL RACING TAKES ON THE WORLD | CHICOUTIMI, CA—Cycles Devinci is proud to announce the formation of Devinci Global Racing as a UCI MTB race team for the 2011 World Cup Season. Devinci’s close proximity to Mont-Sainte-Anne, home to the longest running event on the World Cup circuit, makes the launch a natural move for the brand.

The Devinci Global Racing squad features a mixture of podium threats and young standouts; paired with experienced management and top mechanical support.

Leading the DGR charge is 21-year-old Canadian Steve Smith. Smith recently demonstrated his prowess in the most prestigious race of the season, storming onto the podium in 2nd place at the World Championships at Mont-Sainte-Anne. In addition, he captured multiple top-10 World Cup finishes throughout the season.

Smith says, “I’m stoked to have a strong Canadian bike company like Devinci backing me with the bikes I need to win. I know Devinci will be able to offer what I need to achieve all of my goals I have set.”

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody wants to hear that your previous employer sucked...they want to hear what you did and that you were grateful for the opportunity. We are all left to assume that this is just part of why he is not on a major team with his resume.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bizutch again.

Well said. Great rider, but Zink hurts himself and others when he comes up with this stuff. He's not even "keeping it real" - he routinely spews the company line during his contracts and then burns the bridge to try to save a little cred.

Unless they really screwed him over or are intentionally jacking customers, a sponsor should be able to count on an athlete's confidence and discretion. Athletes need to be reliable on the PR side for sponsors to spread the cheddar around.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It is great that Zink is on Evil! With such an honest and outspoken rider we will finally be able to read what is really going on with Evil.....on Pinkbike! :D

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Shhhh....

I think everyone will be pleased once the official 2011 roster gets released. Still a lot of interesting names to be announced.

...and YES... there will be more info in the near future regarding EVIL. :)

Keep those ears open and congrats to Zink on joining the team!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Shhhh....

I think everyone will be pleased once the official 2011 roster gets released. Still a lot of interesting names to be announced.

We can be sure we're not going to hear it from their website. It hasn't been updated in 2 years, not even a mention of Zink, you would think that would be front page.

Don't get me wrong, I was stoked on Evil when they started and I would love to see them turn things around but right now all signs point to the contrary.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
cmon who really thinks Zink is riding for only a free bike after the banger season he had last year.

I think this one is written on the wall, it's a good sign.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You guys see this- Steve Smith to Devinci

Steve Smith
DEVINCI GLOBAL RACING TAKES ON THE WORLD | CHICOUTIMI, CA—Cycles Devinci is proud to announce the formation of Devinci Global Racing as a UCI MTB race team for the 2011 World Cup Season. Devinci’s close proximity to Mont-Sainte-Anne, home to the longest running event on the World Cup circuit, makes the launch a natural move for the brand.

The Devinci Global Racing squad features a mixture of podium threats and young standouts; paired with experienced management and top mechanical support.

Leading the DGR charge is 21-year-old Canadian Steve Smith. Smith recently demonstrated his prowess in the most prestigious race of the season, storming onto the podium in 2nd place at the World Championships at Mont-Sainte-Anne. In addition, he captured multiple top-10 World Cup finishes throughout the season.

Smith says, “I’m stoked to have a strong Canadian bike company like Devinci backing me with the bikes I need to win. I know Devinci will be able to offer what I need to achieve all of my goals I have set.”
Does this "GLOBAL RACING" have anything to do with the old Orange GLOBAL RACING Team? Meaning "GLOBAL" is a sponsor? If so they put a lot of $$ into the sport and their riders. They had the Squad back in the day!!!

Cecil

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Does this "GLOBAL RACING" have anything to do with the old Orange GLOBAL RACING Team? Meaning "GLOBAL" is a sponsor? If so they put a lot of $$ into the sport and their riders. They had the Squad back in the day!!!

Cecil
Do you think Martin Whitley (main man behind GLOBAL RACING) would start a competing team to Trek World Racing (his current team)?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Shhhh....

They need follow the Lapierre approach, up the NZ rider quota and give Brook "Pitbull" MacDonald a Kiwi practice buddy.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Do you think Martin Whitley (main man behind GLOBAL RACING) would start a competing team to Trek World Racing (his current team)?
I just realized it was GLOBAL RACING Distribution as the Sponsor. Martin is a smart man and great at Marketing. Have spoke to him a few times. I think he could get away with running two competing teams due to the Riders and the Team are the main Marketing Tool, not Martin. He just puts the programs together and lands the sponsors for each team or rider then manages the programs. Much like a Sports Agent. Most Sports Agents have many different clients that are sponsored by the same or competing sponsors. So yes, he could do it.

Cecil