Quantcast

Cam Zink on Hyper bikes. WTF?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Hyper-Bicycles-Signs-Zink.html

Hyper Bicycles is proud to announce the addition of Cam Zink and Pablo Tafoya to the Hyper Bicycles Family! Hyper has officially licensed Tafoya's designs that were previously manufactured under the Corsair moniker, the same bikes that Zink had his 2010 dream season on, winning both the Red Bull Rampage and Kokanee Crankworx to clinch the overall FMB World Championship.
So now you can get a Corsair with wallmart quality?

Also why the hell Cam changes sponsors every 2 weeks. Can't a rider of his caliber get a decen't contract with a big company?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fixed it for you.
Look at the companies he has been with before you claim he was illoyal. Especially after basicly riding an am felt on rampage in 2008. Than what? Corsair that was falling apart, Evil which also has problems. Wasn't he also on some other small company after evil?

I'm with manhattan on that. The graphic designer was blind and on acid.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Look at the companies he has been with before you claim he was illoyal. Especially after basicly riding an am felt on rampage in 2008. Than what? Corsair that was falling apart, Evil which also has problems. Wasn't he also on some other small company after evil?

I'm with manhattan on that. The graphic designer was blind and on acid.
Come on now, I was just trying to be funny!! Plus im loaded on caffeine and work is slow this morning. :)

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This guy definitely needs a manager that tells him what to do. He is one of the best riders out there, no doubt.
But I think this guy has no sense for business.

Let's face it:
It doesn't last forever. You can't be on top of the game forever. Search a decent contract with a large company and try to evolve the relationship with them (R&D and whatnot). People like Shandro are still in the business because they are still useful for their companys and were loyal to their sponsors.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Come on now, I was just trying to be funny!! Plus im loaded on caffeine and work is slow this morning. :)
I'm just a bit cranky because I'm working from home but have left my flat once in the last 7 days because of it and probably will stay for today and tommorow. Caffeine seems like a good idea now.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I'd like to see the Crown DH return, that frame was sweet. Best of luck to Pablo, I think he whips up some nice stuff, I just hope it gets executed better this time around.

Agree, not a fan of the graphics at all.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I'm just a bit cranky because I'm working from home but have left my flat once in the last 7 days because of it and probably will stay for today and tommorow. Caffeine seems like a good idea now.
Well since yer working from home, why not revert to Alchool??? :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
isn't it cold as eff in poland right now?
It got better. Now it's -8C in the day. Was -20. Wanted to ride out local indoor dirt spot but it's not heated. Didn't even make 200m. Went back to home.

Routier I'd gladly do but the work requires my reasoning skills to be on certain levels. Not to mention a ton of reading and I suck at that when I'm drunk ;)

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
To me, there must be a 'hidden' reason that no one big wants Cam Zink.

That's the only explanation for the string of mediocre sponsorship, even though his performance seems to be top notch. Maybe he's just a PITA to deal with?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
To me, there must be a 'hidden' reason that no one big wants Cam Zink.

That's the only explanation for the string of mediocre sponsorship, even though his performance seems to be top notch. Maybe he's just a PITA to deal with?

I'm thinking the same thing, but maybe the hidden reason is that companies don't value a "top of their game" freeride guy as much as they did 10 years ago. Every "freeride" guy that is with a big name sponsor right now seems like they are pulling off all sorts of other side projects, edits and generally helping out with the companies. Not that Zink isn't doing these types of things, but I think they aren't valued like they used to be.

edit: I also think it's unfortunate if this is the case.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
look at kona's global team for example... only 2 classic "free ride" cats left.

freeride is a shrinking sport, and the best riders are being pushed into the periphery brands as big brands fall all over themselves to have the top johnny racers.

andreau lacondeguy: kona->mondraker->yt in 2 years. less to do with athletes themselves IMO, more to do with the bike market and where brands are putting advertising budgets.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think you forget that Zink also get great results at comps. He was 2nd at Crankworx. He is not purely a freeride guy so I don't think he should be put in the same cathegory as Romo, Sorge and the other guys.

@Marshalon Andre has had bad results at comps and he has been a prima donna at some of them complaining all the time that the jumps are too small. I get that he wants bigger jumps but he had some bad runs come 2010.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
andreau lacondeguy: kona->mondraker->yt in 2 years. less to do with athletes themselves IMO, more to do with the bike market and where brands are putting advertising budgets.
From the stories i heard about that relationship it sounded like he was a huge PITA to deal with complaining about courses and just refusing to compete. I would be pissed beyond pissed if I was running a team and he did that at crankworx (which happened). The guy doesnt seem to be doing much as of late except posting photos on facebook of jumps...

I personally think that freeride is bigger than ever right now, these guys probably do better having dif sponsors for every piece of gear they ride. Shoes, goggles, grips, frame...etc...Zink seems like a really stand up kinda guy, to me it sounds like bad luck...

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
look at kona's global team for example... only 2 classic "free ride" cats left.

freeride is a shrinking sport, and the best riders are being pushed into the periphery brands as big brands fall all over themselves to have the top johnny racers.

As much as I love the guy, Andreu is a pain in the ass from a sponsor's perspective.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I am Cam's team manager here at Troy Lee Designs. I renewed his contract in December, with 100% enthusiasm. Cam is so easy to work with, he is eager to contribute to our business and the sport. He gives a sh1t about many aspects of the business and the sport, in a way I have not seen with too many riders.
Easy for you nitwits to say "why doesn't he just get on a big bike brand?"...guess what, all the big brands have guys already, in addition, the big guys don't pay as well as you would think. Just because you have never heard of Hyper, doesn't mean they are some fly by night deal. This move is part of a bigger plan for the company, and they should be applauded for hiring some talented people, USING those people to enter the market.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am Cam's team manager here at Troy Lee Designs. I renewed his contract in December, with 100% enthusiasm. Cam is so easy to work with, he is eager to contribute to our business and the sport. He gives a sh1t about many aspects of the business and the sport, in a way I have not seen with too many riders.
Easy for you nitwits to say "why doesn't he just get on a big bike brand?"...guess what, all the big brands have guys already, in addition, the big guys don't pay as well as you would think. Just because you have never heard of Hyper, doesn't mean they are some fly by night deal. This move is part of a bigger plan for the company, and they should be applauded for hiring some talented people, USING those people to enter the market.
amen. good post.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
After reading stiks post, I have to agree. MTB isn't as big as snowboarding for example. Money is limited, yes.

On the other hand: Mike Montgomery went to Specialized. Think about Zink and the Claw in one team, riding in Utah...:drool:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the info. I was kinda suspecting that after I noticed they got Mike Spinner for bmx. That is a big name too.

As for other companies I wasn't really complaining he doesn't ride for spec. Just suprised he switches companies so often after that whole felt crap. I just though he had some bad luck and as a fan I wish him the best. Seen him ride at Chatel air style and all I could say is Wow.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Hey folks EC here....throw'n two cents in as i have over on PB.

The bike in the image is one of Cam's Corsair bikes from BITD...the Hyper bikes will be different and i assure you not at the level of what we produce for Wal Mart...Two different worlds....the only thing we really are keeping off the bike in the PR is the rear adjustable drop outs and the UNIT linkage system...We have tested the system and we are very happy about the performance.

As far as Hyper from a company standpoint....We aren't a fly by night deal...we are however entering into the high end line of Mountain Bikes which is why some of you may not have heard of Hyper?...I don't know the management/ financial or design details of the previous companies projects that Cam rode for....but i do know that the Owner of Hyper is committed to making a great line of bikes and that we don't have to save cans to turn lights on.

This team of Pablo and Cam was very attractive to us for a number of reasons here are 3

*We love the performance of the design...the suspension system works really good.
*A lot of the devo has already been worked through, meaning hopefully less hiccups on the way to market
*It's a system that Cam has won with at the highest level of what he does.

Fire off questions if you have them and i will answer best i can.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
To answer your questions

1.The high end side needs to know because we want everyone to know we are transparent about it....the last thing we want is to try to hide that we sell bikes in Wal-Mart because some people don't like that type of store....we sell bikes in Wal Mart...and we will continue to do so...not everyone can nor wants to afford a mutli $1000 dollar bike....i know growing up if it wasn't for a big box bike i would have never owned a bike.

2.Yes.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks, it's easy to speculate fruitlessly. I see Zinks performance and it just seems so at odds with his ability to keep a deal under him.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
To answer your questions

1.The high end side needs to know because we want everyone to know we are transparent about it....the last thing we want is to try to hide that we sell bikes in Wal-Mart because some people don't like that type of store....we sell bikes in Wal Mart...and we will continue to do so...not everyone can nor wants to afford a mutli $1000 dollar bike....i know growing up if it wasn't for a big box bike i would have never owned a bike.

2.Yes.
I think The Truth doesn't have a problems with cheap bikes but wallmart as a company.

A bit how I feel about Rockstar.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Congrats to Cam for hooking up with a bunch of great guys that not only love their sport, but helping a brand that has been around for a long time do things right entering into the MT Bike Market space. Its not easy and takes a lot of $$. I have seen a lot of companies try in the past 18 years.

Good luck!!!

Cecil

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Variety is the spice of life and everyone with an individual opinion is one of the things that makes the world interesting....

I can respect and appreciate a persons choice to shop at different stores, drive different cars and drink different beverages....Heck me and my wife don't even like the same things.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
This is the first time I've heard about Hyper entering the mtb market.
It's totally awesome.
Correct me if wrong by what used to be a small pro-owned bmx race brand that went huge but still has high-end USA made bmx frames that were raced in the Olympics turned the key on what is essentially a brand new bike company that is already nearly ubiquitous in the lives of a huge number of 13 year old kids who's lives revolve around riding skids and wheelies on their cheap bike to the store to buy a 3 liter Monster or Redbull or Rockstar? The same brand that had a few frames at the Olympics under of the favorite pros of the parents of tons and tons of bmx race rats?

Now they have a cool patent and the dude the good looking young guy that did a backflip through a phalanx of powerfull coporate logos in the middle of the desert on Sportscenter and a dude who has won(including bmx) somewhere far north of 15 national titles and run a super succesfull grass roots racing program on the payroll making decisions too?

And those guys worked and sweated together, under likely quite stressful conditions to make that happen because they really believe passionately in what they're doing together and now they have jobs where they have benefits and are making a living wage?
Totally baller.

The people who already work there must be f#cking stoked to go win some more championships and contests and sell as many bikes as possible to the long term consumers of the future, especially since a lot of them started a bike company to win bike races.
I actually had no idea Hyper was anything except a small high-end race brand, because a lot of the fast people at my local track race them.

Even if they do it half right Hyper is going to help trim some fat off the competition especially if Cam keeps getting himself on TV and up in the YouTube views, maybe snags an add in a magazine that comes with cologne samples.

Last edited: