Quantcast

Camelbak for racing

Which Camelbak would you/do you race with?

• Siren

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Razor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OK, this kinda depends. How hot is it outside? How far is the race? Will there be any aid stations along the way? I voted for the Siren, it's the smallest and lightest. I don't like to carry a lot of weight on my back, the razor is my second choice if you want more water. I like the feel on my back better. Notice how long the Rogue is compared to it. Good god, the classic weighs 8.1 lbs when the reservoir is full!!

Originally posted by Heidi
OK, this kinda depends. How hot is it outside? How far is the race? Will there be any aid stations along the way? I voted for the Siren, it's the smallest and lightest. I don't like to carry a lot of weight on my back, the razor is my second choice if you want more water. I like the feel on my back better. Notice how long the Rogue is compared to it. Good god, the classic weighs 8.1 lbs when the reservoir is full!!
new racer - so relatively short - probably hot!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I'm racing with the hawg. I plan to phase it out by the time I move up to the sport cat. I don’t think I can stop using right now because I noticed that not all the races handup water to the beginners. go small with a little storage. I think something with a 50oz reservoir for beginner distances of approx 10 should be sufficient.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I wanna change my vote to the Razor, you can always just fill the reservoir with around 50oz instead of filling it all the way up. You don't want to carry extra weight but somedays you may need the full 70.

So you're gonna race huh? Woohoo, another female racer!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Originally posted by Heidi
Well, I wanna change my vote to the Razor, you can always just fill the reservoir with around 50oz instead of filling it all the way up. You don't want to carry extra weight but somedays you may need the full 70.

So you're gonna race huh? Woohoo, another female racer!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I may try it - but it's really more for baboon.

sssshhhhhh!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yes, but I can't help it. I must learn how to create them myself. There is a website that explains it. Oh, back at ya!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I usually don't use a pack at all when racing. 2 bottles and a saddlebag for a tube and tools with a pump on one of the bottle cages seems to work for me. Food goes in the jersey pockets.

I use a Vaude pack for general mtb rides and for DH practice when I want to carry water.

Of all the packs I've tried - and I've had them all since the first Camelbacks - the Vaude has the best retension system. The weight of the pack sits on your hips instead of your shoulders. I've worn mine for 8 hour epic rides without any shoulder soreness.

It's also the only pack I've tried that stays put when worn over Dianese armor.

I also use the Vaude for short backcountry skiing trips, but without a bladder.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by edoz
HAWG all the way, baby!!!!!
Actually, I plan to race more next year (yea, right!) and maybe I'll get a Rocket or something. With the Hawg though I know I'm covered if I get 5 or 6 flats!:thumb:

I am looking at the Rocket for racing as well. But I just don't know if it is big enough.

I like to know that I have plenty of H2O and all my gear (pump/tube/chainbreaker/allen keys/tirelevers/American Express Card/truing stand/boomstick/jet propulsion system......)

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
I was using the Rocket - it's not bad, but not quite big enough for endurance, and not sufficient padding for downhill (we don't all always fall forward down the hills!). Currently am using an Overflow by Hydrapak - seems to work pretty well; I especially like being able to lock the mouthpiece when it's not in use.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I too use the Rocket and have been quite happy with it. It seems that of all of them this one fits the best. And, while it doesn't have the most cargo room and doesn't carry a lot of liquid (when filled to capacity the bladder doesn't really fit in the pack), it's been my favorite. I hardly know it's there and find the cargo space just enough. When there is a threat of rain I put my rain jacket under the snap closure flap and essentially strap it to the outside.

I carry extra tubes, a pump, a spoke wrench, multi tool, extra cable, energy bars, keys, and a cell phone (sometimes) and have yet to totally fill it up. It's capacity is deceiving because the pack actually expands a bit if needed.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by spincrazy
I carry extra tubes, a pump, a spoke wrench, multi tool, extra cable, energy bars, keys, and a cell phone (sometimes) and have yet to totally fill it up. It's capacity is deceiving because the pack actually expands a bit if needed.
Thanks for the info, I plan to get one of these for racing. Maybe a Christmas present to me.