Quantcast

Camelbaks ?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
who here rides with one ? used to but eventually went back to a bottle for the freedom of movement, but with summer here now (s.hemi) I did 3 hour plus ride on the weekend and feel a bottle just isn't enough, thought I might dig out my old camelbak, but then was looking at the camelbak website and there are some really smart looking ones now with a lot of features without being to bulky, eg. Siren and Rocket.

must admit I like the look of my bike with no bottle cage/pumps/co2 cannisters etc.

what do you think ?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Better to ask who rides without one. I hate the things, but on the trail I choose the cargo space, the ability to drink hands free, and the additional weight off the bike over freedom of movement every time.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I use one. I also tend to carry half a bike shop with me when I ride as well...

I like the Vaude packs. Can hold a ton of gear without putting stress on your shoulders as they have a well designed hip belt to support the load as a backpack should. A Camelback feels like an expension book-bag in comparison...

A downside of the Vaude is it's huge - the support system keeps the pack away from your body, but can get caught on stuff until you get used to it. It can also be tricky to adjust. If you have experience with expedition-style hiking packs, it's not bad, but otherwise some knowledgable help is useful.

I also like the Vaude as it's the only pack I've tried that will stay in place over my body armor when doing DH runs.

I drink a lot of water when I ride, so I usually have a water bottle or two on the bike as well.

When XC racing, however, I don't use a pack. Bottle and seat bag only. Making sure I'm well hydrated before the race.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I use one... mine is a Rogue (now discontinued, I believe) and I love it. Much easier to drink from than a bottle, plus the added volume lets me ride longer. I can go a good 3 hours on 1 pack, while a bottle only lasts me 45 minutes, max. I also like being able to carry some gear in my pack... just enough room for the essentials.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by wooglin
Better to ask who rides without one.
:stupid:

The HAWG is my bag of choice. It fits a 100oz reservoir and a ton of gear. Me and the wife own about seven CamelBaks of different sizes between the two of us. Every bag has its purpose. :)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
100 oz. of H2o, room for tools galore plus raingear plus clif bars plus camera plus tubes plus....well you get the point. I think mine is the Lobo. It kicks ass. And it doesnt get all muddy like a bottle.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I have the Lobo. couldn't ever immagine going to back to carying to water bottles with me. This holds more plus I can keep a spare tube and tools to change it plus a snack, a map and whatever else needs to come along. Holds 70 oz, only once have I emptied it on a 20 or so mile ride.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I ride with a Camelbak on most XC rides but only sometimes on DH and never on the road or if I'm riding my CX bike. It never feels like my movement is really restricted that much or the heat is too bad. Plus, they can carry so much water it's ridiculous

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have a HAWG and Rocket? I don't understand why racers don't use them more. On the road its not needed as its almost always easier to drink and in races you can get a handup quite easy. I used to race quite a lot. I went to camelback when they first came out after a race where I ran out of fluids at about 2 hours in a 2.5 hour event. I suffered and lost ground to my fellow competitors who had camelbacks. In all my years riding I have never seen some one loose their camelback because it was rough, but I do see waterbottles all over the place. I ride small bikes too and often the second bottle mount is under the downtube and nearly impossible to grab while riding.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Blowfish. The right size for epic rides, esp. when you're hauling tonnes of food for a 6 hour ride or when riding in the winter and ya' need gobs of extra clothes. Expansion zips to better handle pads, etc.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Never had a WB cage attached to any of my bikes. I've been using a Camelbak since day one. I use my MULE every time I ride, for pump, extra tube, and trail tool storage. Usually only fill the 100oz. reservoir halfway unless doing an epic. I'll be replacing it soon with a LOBO, but will probably get a very compact one for XC races. God knows the damn thing has cushioned my back on plenty of wrecks, too!

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I use one most of the time. I like the blowfish---lots of space and lots of water. It's great for long rides, hikes and keeps my back warm on cold winter night rides. I still use bottles for short rides when I'm in a hurry or when I'm working on speed.

I wouldn't pull off the bottle cage though. Sometimes it's nice to have the option to take extra water and the battery of some lights also fit in there. But I must admit, the look of an uncluttered bike is very nice.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I have & use a few different types
The Cambelbak Mule is for over 3 hour rides, lot's of space, lot's of water...

But often the shoulder straps do bug me, I have a hip bag that holds enough water & stuff for under 3 hour rides; sits low on my lower back, frees up my arms & feels light & comfy...

Water bottle(s) I'll fill w/ gatoraid on the hot summers day's to supplement the water.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
the only problem I've had with mine is that the damn valve came off in my race yesterday, and it was like 50 degrees out. You guys think teflon tape wold hold the next one into place?

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I ride with a M.U.L.E. and think it is great. It holds 100 oz of water, but storage is an issue if the resivoir is full. I fill it up half way most of the time and can put a lot of stuff in it then.
________
Box vaporizer

Last edited:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i use the blowfish.
it has the 100 oz. resovoir like the mule and can expand to hold essentially the same amount of goods as the mule. But you can a zipper to "cinch" it up making it more average sized when your using it more for normal gear and water.

Tweek is not the only one to thank his Camelbak on crashes, it's an added benefit to wearing one.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I've been using one since the first generation. Still have it in fact- and my wife used one just like it until a few months ago when we both upgraded to the Blowfish.

Man! They have come a long way. My old one was basically just a bag. One side was cloth covered foam, the other side was mesh. It had two basic unpadded nylon straps, and nothing else. Your only choices were the 70 oz. fullback, or the 30 oz. halfback for racers. The hose had a ring around the end, and the bite valve wasn't tapered and had a ring around its inside. When the two rings overlapped, that is how your valve was attached. I used to always have to carry an extra valve on rides because sometimes it would come off and get lost. Then, one time while buying a valve they had the current style that fits right over the hose. I trimmed off the excess and voila'. They also didn't have screw caps. It was more like a small, pull-off water bottle lid. You had to be careful to not pull the lid right off the resevoir and ruin it. Bitch to clean too. I love my blowfish now though. It is 100 oz, which was my primary reason for upgrading because I'd empty my 70 oz one on every ride.

I still run a water bottle cage on my road bike though, because it is mostly just used for a short commute to work. I don't need much water for the ride, and don't even bother taking tools or a tube with me. It is a pain in the butt to tilt your head back to drink.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I just rode with a friends 2003 Rocket today, so awesome. It weighed more than my old classic as had more drink, and all kinds of other stuff, pump, tube, energy bar, some small tools etc, but when I put it on it actually felt lighter that my one.

No straps digging into my shoulders, very comfortable, definately looking into getting one.

Accordvsick

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
any of you guys have problems with a "plastic taste"?

i have had mine for about a year now and it has a plastic taste whenever i use water (since day 1). I am forced to use gatorade to mask the taste.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by Accordvsick

i have had mine for about a year now and it has a plastic taste whenever i use water (since day 1). I am forced to use gatorade to mask the taste.
Leave the bladder in the sun until it turns green. Plastic taste will be the least of your worries, but you won't have to worry about eating your vegetables anymore.... ;)

Drew360

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
California
Originally posted by Accordvsick

hmmm i dont ever really notice a funny taste in mine unless i leave water in it too long then drink it.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I love mine but I'm sort of scared to drink out of it now. I went too long without cleaning the bladder and it turned green, brown, yellow and just about any other color thats not the blue it should be. now I just put a little bleach in it before I start drinking out of it.:) mmm, bleach :dead:

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by rockracing
I just rode with a friends 2003 Rocket today, so awesome. It weighed more than my old classic as had more drink, and all kinds of other stuff, pump, tube, energy bar, some small tools etc, but when I put it on it actually felt lighter that my one.

No straps digging into my shoulders, very comfortable, definately looking into getting one.
just got the rocket, very stoked, swopped at a bike shop for a new set of wheels that I've been trying to sell all year.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by RideND
I ride with a M.U.L.E. and think it is great. It holds 100 oz of water, but storage is an issue if the resivoir is full. I fill it up half way most of the time and can put a lot of stuff in it then.
Same with me. I may upgrade to a larger model next year.

F5000sl

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Richmond
I love em.
I dont notice it. And it carries all my goodies.

Last time I rode without it, I lost my sunglasses as the fell out of my shirt pocket.

Never leave home without the Camelbak.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by F5000sl
I love em.
I dont notice it. And it carries all my goodies.

Last time I rode without it, I lost my sunglasses as the fell out of my shirt pocket.

Never leave home without the Camelbak.
My mini pump jumped out my back pocket when I did a little jump on Saturday, luckily I found it, rode with my rocket for the first time yesterday, really liked it, did notice that it jumped up a bit when I bunny hopped, not too serious though, it definately has a different feel, almost a little bulky on me (5'6") but so light when filled up as you dont feel that weight hanging on your shoulders anymore, its gonna be great on those 3 hour rides in the heat of summer now (southern hemi)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MULE here as well. Like having all that water sloshing around, it's soothing like a day at the shore. Also like having a tube, mini-tool, pump, gels, etc.. Also, also, it makes for a softer landing when thrown on your back. I ride with it DH and XC. :cool:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
By the way...

Please do not buy Camelback brand.

They support Sierra Club and Sierra HATES bikers.

Buy a blackburn or some other brand. Just not Camelback.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I love my M.U.L.E. :love: I use it all the time. I have used for a couple of years now and it rocks! Saved my back a couple of times as well.

Originally posted by -BB-
By the way...

Please do not buy Camelback brand.

They support Sierra Club and Sierra HATES bikers.

Buy a blackburn or some other brand. Just not Camelback.
So, I guess it would be alright to buy a SUV then. Since the Sierra Club seems to hate them so much, buying one would show my disdain for them and their narrow, selfish views regarding access.

Gimme a break!

Camelbak also supports many other activities. They sell to the military. They are a business. It is their job to sell hydration devices to as many people as possible. And in that quest, showing support to a specific user group who obviously like their product is a no brainer.

Back in '93, when I ran an off road race, Camelbak came through bigtime with some Classics for my prize list. I think they sent me a dozen with no strings. As far as I am concerned they are a top flight outfit who actually take some of the profits they make and spread them around. The Sierra Club, being just one of many.

IMO, of all the reasons to boycott a product, this reason rates a big fat zero.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
i use them on rides, so i can do longer rides w/o having to stop and fill up. i used them in races up until the last 2 laps of my last race and it seemed like a huge burden off of my back. i think im going to stop using them altogether in races.

i do have a question: does NORBA allow water bottle hand-offs?

Originally posted by NRSracer
i do have a question: does NORBA allow water bottle hand-offs?
The Maine Points Series not only allows them, but some races provided water in cups. Every race was a NORBA race. I guess NORBA allows water hand off, and if they don't then the local promoters are not paying attention to the rules. And that's great.