Quantcast

Camera gear

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
With my Grandfather recently gone, I have some inheritance money coming my way. My Dad was a photographer before he died, so I thought a nod in his direction would be a good idea.

So, I was thinking of upgrading some equipment and attempting to take photography further. The money isn't a whole lot, but enough to spend comfortably on camera gear. About 5 grand (in euros).

Here's what I have already:

Canon EOS 1000D
Sigma 28-200 f2.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8
soon to come- Tokina 10-16 fisheye
2x Vivitar 283s
CyberSync triggers/receivers
Various other stuff

I'm happy with the lenses, but would like to upgrade the camera and flashes.

If I am to keep the glass, what body would I need to pair them to? Can I go the leap to 1D or the 5D? Should I make that leap? Or should I go more 50D/XXD? One step at a time kinda thing...

Help a brother out here. Any other suggestions more than welcome.

Main interests: snowboard & mtb photography, but check out
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpinekiwi/
for what I've been doing recently.

Anyway, I am away for 2 weeks now, so discuss amongst yourselves and I'll get back here soon.

Cheers guys & gals.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1DMk2N+Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (sell the sigma)+85mm f/1.4+Canon 24-70 f/2.8+Full AB lighting complement with Vagabond battery packs.

If I were you, I'd pawn the Canon junk and get a Nikon D300/D700 setup...but that's me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
that 24-70 sure is a purty lens...and heavy too.

why does the lens tho full extend for 24mm?
I have one...It makes the best use of the deep hood for wideangle applications when it's extended like that. IIRC the Nikon version does the same.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
1DMk2N+Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (sell the sigma)+85mm f/1.4+Canon 24-70 f/2.8+Full AB lighting complement with Vagabond battery packs.

If I were you, I'd pawn the Canon junk and get a Nikon D300/D700 setup...but that's me.
I'm a Nikon guy, but at the same time I never encourage anyone to switch systems without a ****ing good reason (3 years ago you needed to shoot at ISO 1600 on a regular basis? Nikon isn't doing it for you...you need wireless remote controllable flashes indoors...don't go Canon.)

I like the Mk2N idea, but I don't know if you need to get rid of the Sigma 70-200. Do you shoot anything that needs IS on that lens?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always felt the subject is more important than the equipment. Instead of buying gear get some donkeys and a few hookers for a nice photo shoot.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Sitting in a cyber cafe in Aigues Mort (southern France on the Med) now.

Cheers for the ideas.

I'm going to stick to Canon
I meant 28-70 f2.8

I'm wanting to upgrade the body and the flashes.

I'm happy with basic strobes, until I realise otherwise and get some big bastards...

I'm deciding between the new 5D and an older 1D like Blue said.

I have a while to think about it anyway, so no hurry.

The lenses I have can do me for now, I don't really need IS, I'm sure the quality is far better with Canon glass, but eh.... Unless I pawn stuff off and replace.

My idea is not to become a professional photographer, but just to take it to another level. I have no idea what that level is called... "Punter with gear" sounds about right...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Another question then:
Will these lenses work fine on a full crop body?

I still like the idea of a 5DII or a 1DII, but would a XXD be better with the lenses? I'm kinda put off by the size of the 1D, I wouldn't want to look out of place in a crowd right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another question then:
Will these lenses work fine on a full crop body?

I still like the idea of a 5DII or a 1DII, but would a XXD be better with the lenses? I'm kinda put off by the size of the 1D, I wouldn't want to look out of place in a crowd right?
yep, they'd work fine. i'm still quite pleased with my 5D MkII. :boss:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok, so looking around, I have come up with this shopping list:

Canon EOS 5D MkII
2x Canon EX 580II
Sigma 15mm Fisheye
Dakine Sequence bag to hold it all in.

But I'm noticing something new here: The 1DmkIII and the 5DmkII are the same price.

Now thinking aloud here, I'm torn between these two bodies:

5DmkII:

+: 21mp, full frame, excellent high ISO quality (if I ever decide to shoot weddings etc, this would be great)
-: only 3.9fps, not weather sealed.

1DmkIII:
+: weather sealing, 10fps
-: 10.1mp (but is that a bad thing?), 1.3 crop, its pretty damn big. I have no problems at all with the size, I use a battery grip on my camera, but it's a bit big to just take on holiday with you...

I'm still leaning towards the 5DmkII, but would love to hear from any out there who knows a bit more than I do...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
damo, quickly on the 2 cameras u list, 5d2 and a 1d3.

AF for mountain biking sucks on a 5d2, as well as the 9 focus points and a smaller circle of focus VS the one series cameras. Not saying you wont get many sharp shots, you will, just bear in mind your keeper rate will be much lower than with a one series body-shooting action anyways.

1d3 is a great camera, but I wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole at this point due to the inconsistent AF on that model. If you can find one that works, you will be the owner of a great camera. I had 2 and both had issues, sold them.

I have used 5d2's as well, shot san diego sx with it along side my 1ds2 and the 1ds2 has WAY more keepers than the 5d2.

I would buy a used 1d2 or 1ds2 and a real nice lens...