Quantcast

Campers

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^I'd go with good used over a project if you can swing it. There's a lot to be said for instant usefullnesss, and you'll have plenty of maintenance/issues to deal with either way.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I spent some time on modmyrv.com and saw the idea to remove the crap dinette and replace it with a loveseat or other better seat options. Since it will likely be the wife and I alone, we don't need extra sleeping spaces and the dinettes are all crap.

I am still torn on the good used vs needs work since the cost savings doesn't seem to be worth the effort. If I had a shop, then doing a restore or renovation would be WAY easier.
TBH and having been there done that, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a "needs work". These things are so cheaply built that "needs work" often becomes needs to be rebuilt.

When I rebuilt our last camper, I ended up ripping out the dinette entirely and going with an open floor plan. Figured a table that folded up from the wall + folding camp chairs meant we could have that space free when we wanted and have a table when we wanted. It felt much more spacious and pupper friendly with that configuration.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
TBH and having been there done that, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a "needs work". These things are so cheaply built that "needs work" often becomes needs to be rebuilt.

When I rebuilt our last camper, I ended up ripping out the dinette entirely and going with an open floor plan. Figured a table that folded up from the wall + folding camp chairs meant we could have that space free when we wanted and have a table when we wanted. It felt much more spacious and pupper friendly with that configuration.
We are going to the RV show again this year (this weekend) now that we have a better idea of what we would actually use. I refuse to buy new knowing we can get a barely used one for a steep discount. The only dinette I have seen that we like it the u shaped ones on the end, otherwise it seems like wasted space.

Problem is it really will just be the two of us and the pooch 99% of the time, so we don't need bunks, or convertible sofa, or additional sleeping spaces. I want as much usable space as possible, but I don't need a monster.

My BIL and sister got out in theirs this weekend. This thing is ridiculous.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We are going to the RV show again this year (this weekend) now that we have a better idea of what we would actually use. I refuse to buy new knowing we can get a barely used one for a steep discount. The only dinette I have seen that we like it the u shaped ones on the end, otherwise it seems like wasted space.

Problem is it really will just be the two of us and the pooch 99% of the time, so we don't need bunks, or convertible sofa, or additional sleeping spaces. I want as much usable space as possible, but I don't need a monster.
Pretty much why we bought a used truck camper off Craigs List. Its just me and the wife plus the dogs. Why a truck camper? we owned a F350, I hate towing and anyplace i can park the truck = we are camped. It has a queen sized bed, fridge and freezer, range oven and microwave, AC and furnace, toilet shower and sink. dinette and no slide outs. 200 watts of Solar Panels and a Honda 2000 generator After 9 years and tens of thousands of miles we still see no need for anything else

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I spent some time on modmyrv.com and saw the idea to remove the crap dinette and replace it with a loveseat or other better seat options. Since it will likely be the wife and I alone, we don't need extra sleeping spaces and the dinettes are all crap.

I am still torn on the good used vs needs work since the cost savings doesn't seem to be worth the effort. If I had a shop, then doing a restore or renovation would be WAY easier.
rocky mountain fourwheel campers....you can order a bare shell if you like...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pretty much why we bought a used truck camper off Craigs List. Its just me and the wife plus the dogs. Why a truck camper? we owned a F350, I hate towing and anyplace i can park the truck = we are camped. It has a queen sized bed, fridge and freezer, range oven and microwave, AC and furnace, toilet shower and sink. dinette and no slide outs. 200 watts of Solar Panels and a Honda 2000 generator After 9 years and tens of thousands of miles we still see no need for anything else
Decent storage space? That was the issue I we faced when figuring out which direction we wanted to go, it didn't seem like the slide-ins had enough space to carry 2 people and 3 dogs worth of shit for 6+ months.

campers like that....the old land rover series dormobile campers....the land cruiser campers.....neat but i think would be cramped....
Plus those Earthroamer Jeeps were notorious for leaking. If you find those cool, take a gander at this thread (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/51254-EarthRoamer-XV-JP-quot-Northwest-Edition-quot). It has it all, meteoric highs, the lowest of lows, tragedy, heartbreak, and redemption. Been following for a few years now and it's amazing to see how much one vehicle can go through.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Decent storage space? That was the issue I we faced when figuring out which direction we wanted to go, it didn't seem like the slide-ins had enough space to carry 2 people and 3 dogs worth of shit for 6+ months.
TCs have lots of wasted space that you can use. Next to our bed you could build a nice storage cabinet. over the dinette in our we have a huge cabinet that I need to add some partitions to to make it more storage friendly. We use the shower in the dry bath for waders, boots and wetsuits when not showering. The roof rack can hold a roof box plus two kayaks. Some guys have mounted fishing rod holders on the inside ceiling. I have bike racks mounted to the roof ladder.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I rip the dinette out and put in a couch, this one is about perfect. The ability to get into bed from either side is huge.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
How come no one buys a truck bed trailer and puts a camper like Erics on it? Cheap tow behind right?
I know a guy that did that so he could tow his snowmobile on his cross country trip. It looked real redneck, I will see if I can dig up a picture.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I know a guy that did that so he could tow his snowmobile on his cross country trip. It looked real redneck, I will see if I can dig up a picture.
Sled in truck bed, then hook up the trailer after loading it?!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Went to the RV show, saw some cool crap, but nothing major. There were 3 (2 in budget, 1 a little crazy) we were really interested in, but the one I really want to see in person wasn't there. The murphy bed while cool in concept isn't the best idea, or at least the execution is lacking. But it's looking like a 20ish in a light form factor is the most likely option.

Jayco Jayflight 212qbw is the current front runner.