Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So playing with some ideas last night, it actually looks feasible.

$10k 14' Freightliner stepvan 5.9L Cummins sub 100k miles
$1500 Appliances and hardware
$1500 furniture build out (bed, cabinets, etc)
$1500 theater seating (wife's request)

I could have this built out for well under $20k. The 14' isn't too horrible to park and I was able to steal the floorplan from a 14' trailer.

Big difference being I want to do a horizontal mount Murphy bed so the back is like a toy hauler. It's crazy, but not THAT crazy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So playing with some ideas last night, it actually looks feasible.

$10k 14' Freightliner stepvan 5.9L Cummins sub 100k miles
$1500 Appliances and hardware
$1500 furniture build out (bed, cabinets, etc)
$1500 theater seating (wife's request)

I could have this built out for well under $20k. The 14' isn't too horrible to park and I was able to steal the floorplan from a 14' trailer.

Big difference being I want to do a horizontal mount Murphy bed so the back is like a toy hauler. It's crazy, but not THAT crazy.
go to youtube and search "most compact camper van bed ever"

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
go to youtube and search "most compact camper van bed ever"
You have no idea what it took to get my wife to accept a queen vs king. After seeing a few Murphy beds in trailers, it made sense.

The queen is too big to do a tilt unless you do it horizontal. This also leaves room for an 18" counter along the wall with bed out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Will you actually want to drive that anywhere? Stepvans are noisy heaps of shit, afaik.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't see driving it anywhere I wouldn't be dragging a trailer to. It would get a proper insulation treatment and a stereo to offset the road noise.

It is easier to drive/park than a truck + trailer, would get about the same mileage as that combo, and would cost about what we were looking to spend on the trailer and not have to upgrade the truck.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't see driving it anywhere I wouldn't be dragging a trailer to. It would get a proper insulation treatment and a stereo to offset the road noise.

It is easier to drive/park than a truck + trailer, would get about the same mileage as that combo, and would cost about what we were looking to spend on the trailer and not have to upgrade the truck.
you should paint it snapon themed, and then go kidnap @Pesqueeb

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Debating getting truck shell and turning that into a mini camper, going to have to see if I could suspend the shell from the roof of garage when not in use.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hey @eric strt6 , what do you use for a bike rack? I'm debating either hard mounting some fork ups to the back of the camper or going with a swingout hitch mount on an extension off the rear. I'll need to carry two MTBs. Would prefer to avoid a front mounted hitch and rack if possible.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Cool little Nissan NV200 conversion which they're going to have available at dealerships.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey @eric strt6 , what do you use for a bike rack? I'm debating either hard mounting some fork ups to the back of the camper or going with a swingout hitch mount on an extension off the rear. I'll need to carry two MTBs. Would prefer to avoid a front mounted hitch and rack if possible.
I mounted bike trays to the ladder using factory roof rail footers and cut down crossbars. Forks pointed skyward

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, we had a water leak inside the trailer. It was leaking in the window, so we thought it was that. Took the window out, and while on the ladder, I thought to look at the roof...sure enough, the membrane had split on the edge, and water is coming in from the top . Hope the special roof sealing tape does the trick, or this will become really expensive fast.
And I just said I was having no issues whatsoever...

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So, we had a water leak inside the trailer. It was leaking in the window, so we thought it wad that. Took the window out, and while on the ladder, I thought to look at the roof...sure enough, the membrane had split on the edge, and water is coming in from the top . Hope the special roof sealing tape does the trick, or this will become really expensive fast.
And I just said I was having no issues whatsoever...
Prep the area of the leak with denatured alcohol and scrub it good using that and a clean rag. dry it then apply eternabond tape. seal the tape edges with non self leveling dicor lap sealant and you should be good to go for many years. I did a similar repar almost 4 years ago and have not had a problem since

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I did the entire edge after Ruth tore up the edge when she grazed a tree. This photo was taken 3-4 years after I did the repair. That is dicor on the right side sealing the space between the metal gutter rail and the side of the camper covered by eternabond tape

roof edge repair.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Prep the area of the leak with denatured alcohol and scrub it good using that and a clean rag. dry it then apply eternabond tape. seal the tape edges with non self leveling dicor lap sealant and you should be good to go for many years. I did a similar repar almost 4 years ago and have not had a problem since
How many feet did you get per tube of dicor?
Shopping now.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
How many feet did you get per tube of dicor?
Shopping now.
I could easily do a bead around both edges of eternabond tape that wrapped around my camper with one tube if I was judicious in applying it..so get at least 2

Self leveling is for flat horizontal surfaces as it flows and flattens as it cures, non self leveling can be applied at any angle but needs to be physically spread.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Remember my MIL's Mercedes?
You could sleep sideways in that trunk!
I've one of these for the back.

http://www.habitents.com/

Not a 100% fit, but it works very well considering when I'm camping out the back of the car, it's usually just me. I'm short, so it works. It's also usually spots where I'm just getting up to ride the next day/quasi-legit parking lots. I'm also usually only 3-5 days at a time. It seriously take slike 2 minutes to set up, and even less to take down.

Wifey going along = full camp ground/big tent or B&B type action. Neither of which I'm averse to.

If left to my own devices, I'd do a truck/topper setup.