Quantcast

Can Anyone Recommend a Repair Guide?

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've seen a CD in the bicycling mags for repairs along with several books - I'm very confused. Are any of the books especially written just for mountain bikes? I'd be most interested in disc brake & fork maintenance.

Also - I'd like to make a bike stand - anyone have any plans for making one yourself?

Thanks,

OD

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I use the ZIN one and it has been good so far.
I'm sure there are SOME things that won't be in there, but not any I have run across.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It would be hard for a book to give specifics on forks because they change every year. The manufacturers websites usually have downloadable manuals which cover most stuff. I know Hayes web has the complete manual on it. That manual describes all work you can do. www.angryasian.com has some fork tips too as well as a forum. I've used the other mentionned sites too and they are excellent. When I worked at a shop we called Sutherland's manual "the bible". I think Sutherland's has a website too.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks - I guess I'm too old school, but I really prefer to have a book in front of me while I'm trying new things (home repair, bike fixing, tax preparation, copulation, blah, blah, blah).

I bought the book "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance 3 Ed" from Amazon.com. I'll bookmark the other sites mentioned.

Thanks to all.:)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
The best suggestion I can make is to get a few books that really deal with specifics, and search the manufacturers web site for manuals and tuning tips. Marzocchi's site for example has a pretty deep tech area, and some of the retail sites have repair class type pages. Mountain bike technology has enjoyed a computer industry type acceleration the past few years, so a book with general info is ok, just keep up the with manufacturers for the latest info.

One bad-ass book I love is "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt, put out by Avocet. Looks at the wheel from an engineering stand point. Cool

Old_Dude

Monkey
I got the Zinn book today - I was pleasantly surprised to find it covers Hayes disc brakes which came on my new bike.

The illustrations are nice - overall, it looks like a great book.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

JimmyPistons

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
SEATTLE, WA
Zinn is a good book for covering the all around aspect of the mountain bike world and the Barnetts manual has come in handy bunches but like the rest of the guys are saying here the best way that I have found to get info is definitely from the manufactuers sites and if they are not available you would be suprised what some of your LBS mechanics just might have hidden up there sleeves knowledge wise. Yeah sure I generally will go to th old guys for the stuff that was around before my time but with respects to most of the newer stuff I go to the youngsters because they are generally the ones I find who are actually busting out work on it. So get both perspectives and then find the way that you like doing it the best and if you have enough space on your 'puter, don't hesuitate to store that knowledge you get there.
Jimmy:)