Quantcast

Can I re-valve my 09 Fox 40 like a 40 RC2 WC Fit ?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Played with my shock yesterday and now its time to do my fork.

I searched the forum and found a few interesting ideas floating around but I couldn't find anything on how to make a 2009 Fox 40 feel better.

Im wondering if it would be possible to play with the shims and turn my not so special 09 into a very special WC edition.:thumb:

I dont even know if they share the same damper unit actually, Im bored and wanna try different experiment.

There's nothing wrong with my fork although it'd be nice to improve the feel on small bumps and just make the thing overall track better.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The WC version of the Fox 40 has the HSC stiffened up, that won't really help your small bump sesnitivity.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Do you have a 40 R or a 40 RC2? If you a 40 R you might be able to find an RC2 Cartridge and put that in. That will help you a bunch. If you have an RC2 then your best bet is to try some of the tricks mentioned in the other threads to dial it in a bit more. I think that would be the most cost effective thing to do. Like boogenman said, I don't think the WC edition/mod would necessarily achieve what you are looking for.

I would do simple things to eliminate stiction and experiment w/the lsc to improve small bump compliance before diving into a bigger and potentially more expensive project on a fork you are already happy with.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
40s and 36s can be revalved, but it is usually very difficult to get to the shim stack. The piston is held in by the bell housing which is bonded very tight and easy to damage if you don't know what you are doing. There's not many shims in there and if you don't have a nice supply of the right shims you are wasting your time.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
40s and 36s can be revalved, but it is usually very difficult to get to the shim stack. The piston is held in by the bell housing which is bonded very tight and easy to damage if you don't know what you are doing. There's not many shims in there and if you don't have a nice supply of the right shims you are wasting your time.
Ok thanks , that helps a bit.I've been rebuilding my damper for years and I know how to get to the shims stack , been in there severals times actually but thats about it.

I dont personally have a nice supply but I know someone who could provide me the needed shims.That being said , I have to idea what I'd be doing and was hoping I could get the info from this thread.

SOoooo, it is possible then , does anyone know the exact combination of shims stack?Like I said, nothing's wrong with my fork ,better small bumps compliance would be a bonus but my goal is to turn it into a WC, mostly for the learning experience and make it a better fork at the same time.

The fork is an RC2, did a complete search on 40's and didnt find anything relevant actually in terms of upgrade for the 2009

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Acording to this article you can, just put a firm spring in, change to 10 wt oil and add moar shimz.
The like isnt working but I think I know what review that is.Im trying ot find an image or even better the schematics with the exact shim stack dimensions and all of a WC Fit.

Im sure some Monkeys here have the WC edition, anyone has ever taken a photo of their shims stack?