Quantcast

Can i separate my shimano shifter and brake lever?

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Hey i was wondering if i could seperate my Shimano ST-EF29-8 shifter and levercombo thingy. i feel i have no need for the front deraileur, and i was wondering if i could get rid of the shifter and deraileur.
heres a pic :

If i can separate it, how do I? and is to take the front deraileur off, do i just unscrew her and stuff? or do i have to get a special part for my front cassette?

thanks

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Unless you have some type of chain retention device, you will find that you probably need the front derailer to keep the chain from jumping off.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
aw man.. but if i do get one of these things what would it be called, or look like? and would i be able to separate my shifter and brake lever?

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
oh yea if anyone is wondering, or if it even matters, i have 16 gears. 2 rings in the front, 8 in the back. aaand, i have an old 1983 norco bigfoot, that i just use to get around sometimes:D the front derailleur snapped off while i was shifting, and nothing is wrong, my chain never falls off, but then i also dont really go offroading in that beast either..

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
why do you want to take it off? if you dont need a shifter just take out the cable...

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
but i dont really want a shifter, or derailleur. it never gets used and its kinda ugly. there is little screws on my derailleur, aand i think they may separate the two, but im not sure, should i see what happens? or should i just not do it

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ok. i said screw it., and took it apart. unfortunatley, the only screws on the device, just took the shell off. after this, i could see the whole works. and it turns out i cant separate them!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rant: whatever, can i still just remove my front derailleur? this hasnt really been cleared up yet for me. and would i need to buy any extra parts? im going to remove the cables for sure, but im not sure about the derailleur. ACK!!

Konafied

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
Hermiston, OR
yes, you can remove your front derailleur. It will probably be easier to drop a chain since there is nothing to "guide" your chain, but since you don't go offroad with it much it should be fine. Give it a try.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
sorry about that. i dont go offroading in my old 1983 norco bigfoot, which derailleur snapped off. i MAINLY go offroading and downhilling in my Kona Shred, which has a bashgaurd instead of a third ring.

Konafied

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
Hermiston, OR
oh I didn't read your post right. :bonk:
If you try it and have problems with droping the chain you can always put the der. back on or have a chain guide installed.

If you do a lot of jumping or hard riding thats going to bounce the chain around, it's probably better to leave the derailleur on.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
yea i do do lots of downhill trails, and they are often quite bumpy, i also do jumps too. but is it possible to remove my cables and keep the derailleur? or does the derailleur need the cables to stay in position?

wheres binary visions when you need him ;)