Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Speaking of irrational: how again did using a semi-auto AR-15 replica cause more damage than a semi-auto anything else? Is there any evidence that clip size restrictions (without, say, restrictions on clothing that can carry multiple clips) does anything?

I think this will be overturned by the SCOTUS and I'm ok with that.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Speaking of irrational: how again did using a semi-auto AR-15 replica cause more damage than a semi-auto anything else? Is there any evidence that clip size restrictions (without, say, restrictions on clothing that can carry multiple clips) does anything?

This has always been a source of amusement. "We need to ban military-style guns" is such a fucking red flag that whomever is saying it likely knows jack shit about guns. They should educate themselves and accept that these two guns are EXACTLY the same:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Scalia opinion on Heller specifically said:

“like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.”

“not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

“Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Similar to product recalls, safety is paramount to cost or numbers affected. If a capacity limit saves one life than inconvenience to hobbyists doesn't matter. AR-15 styling is unimportant, but again it's a hobby and lowering gun circulation is also more important than sales boosting circulation because of style/perception.

Also mass shooters are not rational people so style could be a factor in some cases.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Similar to product recalls, safety is paramount to cost or numbers affected. If a capacity limit saves one life than inconvenience to hobbyists doesn't matter. AR-15 styling is unimportant, but again it's a hobby and lowering gun circulation is also more important than sales boosting circulation because of style/perception.

Also mass shooters are not rational people so style could be a factor in some cases.
Like I said, your arguments in favor of it aren't rational.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Like I said, your arguments in favor of it aren't rational.
It specifically mentions other weapons like the AK47 which are cheaper (plus cheaper rounds), heavier, and more powerful rounds which do more damage and have greater penetration than the AR15 with greater reliability. Why leave out the AK47 - the most common and effective assault rifle in the world?

Actual weapons experts at the ATF and other organizations indeed support capacity bans, but not styling bans:

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/06/high-capacity-magazines-orlando-shooting/

Plus regardless, we live in a democracy and if a majority (which they do) support both bans, to void the democratic process because of the NRA or hobbyists is above all else against the interests of the majority.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's redefining the 2nd Amendment to assuage some irrational fear. It's not merely democracy at work.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's redefining the 2nd Amendment to assuage some irrational fear. It's not merely democracy at work.
Higher capacity has support from experts and they're functional, not styling changes.

Plus Scalia didn't say that in Heller, specifically he say it's not unlimited.

There's no easy way to show direct causation with gun laws but that not a rational argument no limits on the other side of the coin either.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
SAME EXACT GUNS:
I agreed that style based limits are less effective compared to capacity.

And it doesn't change the fact that a blanket semi-automatic ban (plus pump-action shotguns) worked in Australia.

ZERO MASS SHOOTINGS is much more compelling than your argument.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, banning (and retrieving? good luck with that!) all semi-autos just isn't going to fly here. Tilting at windmills is Shared Skittles' phrase, I believe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I agreed that style based limits are less effective compared to capacity.

And it doesn't change the fact that a blanket semi-automatic ban (plus pump-action shotguns) worked in Australia.

ZERO MASS SHOOTINGS is much more compelling than your argument.
I'm not making any argument. I'm just pointing out that they are the EXACT SAME GUN. And people claiming otherwise are fucking delusional. :D

And yeah - tilting at windmills, as the good doctor has pointed out.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, banning (and retrieving? good luck with that!) all semi-autos just isn't going to fly here. Tilting at windmills is Shared Skittles' phrase, I believe.
The conservative party did that in Australia even.

Here people are gladly destroying US democracy (or even endorse a permanent Trump dictatorship as you noted) for their hobby that doesn't make them any safer or serve as any indication of their freedom.

Australia and Japan are winning without semiautomatic guns for all:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/01/daily-chart-20

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I made fun of MMike in a comment on his Facebook post from a few hours ago. Narlus liked my comment. MMike took his ball and went home, deleting the post entirely.

:D

#winning

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Republican North Carolina judge resigns — and slams the GOP on the way out

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/republican-north-carolina-judge-resigns-and-slams-the-gop-on-the-way-out/

In a dramatic response to a power-grab by Republicans in the North Carolina legislature, a Republican judge resigned today to circumvent efforts to strip power from the Democratic governor.

The Charlotte Observer reports that following today’s surprise resignation by Republican Judge J. Douglas McCullough, Democrat John Arrowood was sworn in. Judge McCullough worked as a staffer for Senator Harrison Schmitt (R-NM) before being appointed by President Ronald Reagan as United States Attorney in the eastern district of North Carolina.

Since Democrat Roy Cooper was elected Governor of North Carolina last fall, the Republican Legislature has gone to great lengths to strip his office of power. Yet with a three-sentence resignation letter this morning, Judge McCullough has proven that not all Republicans are willing to go along with shenanigans by legislative Republicans.

North Carolina has a mandatory retirement age for judges. To prevent the Democratic Party governor from appointing replacements for Court of Appeals judges nearing forced retirement, the Republican Legislature passed a bill to shrink the size of the court from 15 to 12 judges — thereby denying the Democrat of three scheduled appointments.

The legislation was vetoed on Friday, but a successful veto override was expected later tonight.

However, before the legislature could vote to override Governor Cooper’s veto of House Bill 239, Judge McCullough resigned 36 days prior to his forced retirement. This allowed the appointment of Judge Arrowood at 9:45 a.m. this morning.

“I did not want my legacy to be the elimination of a seat and the impairment of a court that I have served on,” Judge McCullough explained.

Newly sworn-in Judge John Arrowood is the first openly gay member of the North Carolina Court of Appeals.