Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It is time, for the fucking sake of all the FSM holds sacred, to get a single-payer system in place.
That's the rational thing to do but I think there's an extremely low likelihood of that happening. The system of implicit subsidies that we currently have (untaxed health care premium support) has evolved since WWII, and any walkback of that system that results in higher out of pocket costs in the short term will just not happen.

I've mentioned this in my ride pics/nerdification thread when I was pricing out whether to go with a HDHP + HSA or a regular plan (CN: HDHP + HSA all day long) but my high deductible plan monthly premium for my family is $1,219 per month. I get $1,200 of that paid by my employer, tax-free due to our weird system.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The other thing is the massive complex of insurance companies needs to die to reduce costs. Thing is that insurance companies are businesses (that profit off your misery) and the republicans support businesses above all else, so it'll be a cold day in hell before the Republicans would introduce anything that would cut into insurance profits or affect them, but we can't get costs down until we get rid of the ridiculousness of insurance companies.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The other thing is the massive complex of insurance companies needs to die to reduce costs. Thing is that insurance companies are businesses (that profit off your misery) and the republicans support businesses above all else, so it'll be a cold day in hell before the Republicans would introduce anything that would cut into insurance profits or affect them, but we can't get costs down until we get rid of the ridiculousness of insurance companies.
why not throw drug companies under the bus and the drug reps who buy doctors lunch to bribe them into pushing the next best cure....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
r/trees used to be about actual trees. Like, pines, firs, beech, etc. Then the goddamn stoners took over. :disgust1:
As sad as that is, that means you're upset that your apparently very serious discussions about trees were sidelined.

So what's up squeeb? You need a new bike man? Why you spending so much time online talking about trees? There's boobies out there. And I don't mean birds.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Stretching and now RICE proven to be bogus:

https://life.spartan.com/post/is-r-i-c-e-all-wrong
Nothing is proven there. He is trying to sell a book and his concept. I have always believed in active recovery (As he espouses...) however there is a time and place for a big bag of ice, some NSAIDs and a comfy couch with a remote control. He completely neglects to mention impact injuries, instead focusing on the type of injuries incurred by Spartan racers (Which became a sport when?) in order to sell his book. A meta-study of 22 injuries hardly provides enough actionable data to set aside years upon years of research into sports injuries. And nowhere did I see any mention of stretching being discredited as a developmental, therapeutic or preventive modality. Enhancing range of motion around a joint and keeping connective tissues malleable and fed with blood is key to preventing injury and quality of life in athletes of any stripe age.

I like Dr Nudiles quote- "...you really have to be mindful of what you’re trying to accomplish before you throw in the ice pack."

I will await the movie.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The RICE to CE is not new and still controversial, but stretching, especially before exercise has a large majority body of evidence that shows it's bogus. Most famous is the large military study, but there's various ones.

This website covers a lot of information on stretching being bogus I have seen elsewhere. My comment on that has nothing to do with the RICE article, just the current body of evidence against stretching being useful:

https://www.painscience.com/articles/stretching.php

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As sad as that is, that means you're upset that your apparently very serious discussions about trees were sidelined.

So what's up squeeb? You need a new bike man? Why you spending so much time online talking about trees? There's boobies out there. And I don't mean birds.
Fun fact: I dropped out of college while studying/perhaps because of, Dendrology, the "scientific study of trees.".

I merely wish to point out that for a motivated group of individuals, it's easy to redefine what a certain thing may be.

I personally did not discover r/trees until after it was a place about pot. I think the anecdote about it's origin is hysterical, personally.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oak wilt is bad news, got any promising news about that Pesqueeb? My parents just had a big oak suddenly die and there's a few big ones right near it. Going to really suck because they're all around their house and provide a ton of shade too.