Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Doesn't make up for the NFL denying their game gives people permanent brain damage and enables a culture were people are entertained by people taking brain destroying hits and they STILL encourage their kids to do so:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/tackle-football-before-age-12-may-boost-risks-of-cognitive-mood-disorders/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

And for decades they claimed they were a non-profit and cheated out communities out billions and billions of dollars - much more than any charitable distraction they've pulled. It's a spectator sport that favors the brainless and PR stunts won't change that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Doesn't make up for the NFL denying their game gives people permanent brain damage and enables a culture were people are entertained by people taking brain destroying hits and they STILL encourage their kids to do so:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/tackle-football-before-age-12-may-boost-risks-of-cognitive-mood-disorders/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

And for decades they claimed they were a non-profit and cheated out communities out billions and billions of dollars - much more than any charitable distraction they've pulled. It's a spectator sport that favors the brainless and PR stunts won't change that.

Wow...buzzkill much?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wow...buzzkill much?
Bill Maher has been making the point for a while that the reason the Democrats are getting their asses handed to them lately is due in large part to the liberal wing being all or nothing when it comes to ideas. IE, if you're not a progressive on every subject, every policy, every micro issue, then it's not good enough. Some of my people (the hippies) are terrible about this. If it's not one whole revamp, complete replacement, giant policy change, whatever, then its unacceptable and we have to burn it down. Simple baby steps, or slow change in the name of progressiveness is unacceptable. The perfect, is definitely the enemy of the good.

This is a good example of that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is a good example of that.
A culture that created numerous billion dollar problems and is literally brain damaging people for entertainment isn't something that requires baby steps. These aren't minor concerns that have just come to light.

The NFL denied the clear evidence of TBI for decades. They falsely claimed non-profit status for decades. They've taken billions from communities they know won't benefit economically with false promises they will. They won't employ people like Colin Kaepernick standing behind valid social causes because fake taxpayer paid patriotism and they'll gladly defend felons and most of their fans could careless about either. They've also a part of other fine traditions like rape culture and dog fighting. Sport fans riot more often than BLM or Antifa all for losing or even winning rather than actual social problems and that's given a pass too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A culture that created numerous billion dollar problems and is literally brain damaging people for entertainment isn't something that requires baby steps. These aren't minor concerns that have just come to light.

The NFL denied the clear evidence of TBI for decades. They falsely claimed non-profit status for decades. They've taken billions from communities they know won't benefit economically with false promises they will. They won't employ people like Colin Kaepernick standing behind valid social causes because fake taxpayer paid patriotism and they'll gladly defend felons and most of their fans could careless about either. They've also a part of other fine traditions like rape culture and dog fighting. Sport fans riot more often than BLM or Antifa all for losing or even winning rather than actual social problems and that's given a pass too.
I agree that all of these things are serious issues that need addressing.

In light of that, all those kids with cancer should definitely have just stayed locked up in their shitty hospital rooms and stared at the wall all day.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I agree that all of these things are serious issues that need addressing.

In light of that, all those kids with cancer should definitely have just stayed locked up in their shitty hospital rooms and stared at the wall all day.
All of their minor PR charity efforts aren't going to makeup for all the TBI and related deaths they could have prevented or come close the back taxes they should pay for claiming non-profit status and helping wealthy team owners convince communities across the country that it's fine to be robbed blind for billions to get a stadium/keep a team.

The NFL could provide free cancer care for all of America and still have plenty of profits leftover from all they've taken from our society.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Jeebus, Marvin and Jerry...I hate the foolsball as much or more than you do syadasti, and have been doing so for quite some time. THe NFL is a major drain on local resources, does not provide the tax base it should and serves as a major tax dodge for its owners. And this doesnt even address the damage the game does to the players as you so eloquently point out. Players who willingly take part in the game for millions upon millions of dollars.

But this here is a feel good story about sick kids who get to feel good about life for a few minutes because complete strangers take a couple minutes to perform an otherwise innocuous act while watching a stupid game. Furthermore, this is the "It's not all bad news thread" thread. Not the Debbie Downer I hate a game because it hurts people I dont even know so I will ignore the fact that some sick kids get their morale and spirits lifted for a moment thread.

Stop being a douche already, We all know how much the NFL sucks. This is about sick kids.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They misspelled my name, but I helped score a win for the big east cost bong shed last night.
http://www.telegram.com/news/20171004/oxford-voters-say-yes-to-pot-retail-shops-coming-to-town--but-not-so-fast
I lived a block away from a pot shop. I can honestly say there was no real negative impact on the neighborhood short of the traffic that any business would attract. No garbage, no sketchy characters, no "drug related crime".

The same can not be said for the convenient store across the street that sells beer and cigarettes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The best you can do is feel better that grass fed beef is cheaper and better tasting than the latest overmarketed venture capitalist BS veggie burgers

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Everything you like is a false flag bro!

I read it on the innernet!
Yeah I'm sure the false flags are peer reviewed and published in respected journals just like the restaurant industry is well vetted and on the level.

Beef is a single ingredient, mustard isn't unless you're eating the plant itself.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I'm sure the false flags are peer reviewed and published in respected journals just like the restaurant industry is well vetted and on the level.
A documented phenomenon does not imply universal application.

I have greater respect for rideit and pesqueeb's taste buds. Why? Because I don't know them and to assume their inadequacies is smug bullshit.

Besides, I'm a chemist by training. Beef is not 'one ingredient' :rofl: