Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The few studies that exist have shown the difference in the nutritional profile is minor as I said, it's marketing which is effective and why business spend so much money on it.

Placebo effect is a real thing. People will think a harmless cream is painful or salt water is morphine if you tell them it is convincingly enough.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/10/the-mysterious-nocebo-effect-a-drugs-side-effects-may-hinge-on-its-price-tag/
http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/just-sugar-pill-placebo-effect-real/
https://www.wired.com/2009/08/ff-placebo-effect/

By Stephen B. Smith, Ph.D.
Regents Professor, Department of Animal Science

The internet is awash in websites proclaiming the nutritional benefits of ground beef from grass-fed cattle. However, researchers in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University have published the only two research studies that actually compared the effects of ground beef from grass-fed cattle and traditional, grain-fed cattle...So, at this point, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims that ground beef from grass-fed cattle is a healthier alternative to ground beef from conventionally raised, grain-fed cattle.
Everyone is susceptible to being fooled:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/hallucinations-and-perception/

In a paper released last week in Science, a team from Yale University set out to understand how we interpret the world around us—in short, how we determine what’s real and what’s not. They suspected that people who regularly hallucinate perceive the world based on what they expect to happen, while others, who don’t hallucinate, would rely more what their senses are telling them is happening in the world.
“I did not expect that people who did not have a psychotic illness would perform so similarly to people who did hear voices,” Powers says. “They were very, very alike.”

“Really healthy people that don’t hallucinate in their everyday lives—graduate students, and postdocs, and highly accomplished people—were very, very susceptible to this effect, even the ones who didn’t hear voices. They were more susceptible to it than I expected,” Corlett says. The study contributes to the idea that schizophrenia, much like autism, may exist as a spectrum, the authors say.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm going to start a ranch. i will sell beef. the beef i sell will have been raised eating bears. the bears fed to them will have been raised eating cows, which were raised eating bears.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
brew beer made from bear, get the beef drunk, feed it to another bear, get that bear drunk on beer brewed from beef, then feed that bear to the beef then ???? then profit

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also I'm not claiming that different breeds/subspecies/species (I think there's two actual distinct species of cattle vs the hundreds of breeds), might have significant and notable quality differences. I am talking about the same breed being raised two different ways for marketing purposes.

"Kobe" "Grass fed" etc are effective marketing but most claims don't hold up to scrutiny. It doesn't matter because people will still enjoy themselves or even think it tastes better because that's the way our perception system works.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also I'm not claiming that different breeds/subspecies/species (I think there's two actual distinct species of cattle vs the hundreds of breeds), might have significant and notable quality differences. I am talking about the same breed being raised two different ways for marketing purposes.

"Kobe" "Grass fed" etc are effective marketing but most claims don't hold up to scrutiny. It doesn't matter because people will still enjoy themselves or even thinking it tastes better because that's the way our perception system works.
Something like 1% of US Kobe beef is actually kobe beef. Whatever that means.

Today, enough reaches the U.S. to satisfy the average beef consumption of just 77 Americans.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I see why.

• They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying exponentially faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
  • Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself — either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)