Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have to admit to being of at least two minds about this.
1: A private employer of course has the right to do as they see fit for their business. Barring dismissal for reasons of race/gender/orientation, etc it ought be the right of the employer to fire away. I understand the appeal of shit canning a self professed Nazi, it would for sure be my gut reaction. Where do you draw a line though? Do I get to fire an open Romney supporter? Do I get to fire him because I don't like his haircut? I know the answer, legally, is yes, but at least too me this is a tough moral question.
2: Sunlight is the best "disinfectant". This election feels like somebody turned over a rock. All these creepy, slimy, gross things are now out in the open and we've got to squish them all before they crawl under another. It doesn't bother me at all that this ass clown will be living in the street, or his family. Like @mykel says, gotta pay the piper.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to admit to being of at least two minds about this.
1: A private employer of course has the right to do as they see fit for their business. Barring dismissal for reasons of race/gender/orientation, etc it ought be the right of the employer to fire away. I understand the appeal of shit canning a self professed Nazi, it would for sure be my gut reaction. Where do you draw a line though? Do I get to fire an open Romney supporter? Do I get to fire him because I don't like his haircut? I know the answer, legally, is yes, but at least too me this is a tough moral question.
2: Sunlight is the best "disinfectant". This election feels like somebody turned over a rock. All these creepy, slimy, gross things are now out in the open and we've got to squish them all before they crawl under another. It doesn't bother me at all that this ass clown will be living in the street, or his family. Like @mykel says, gotta pay the piper.
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from repercussion. If he wants to play Nazi at home, in his mom's basement, or in a quiet group of friend in the woods, that is his right and would not jeopardize his employment. But by being out there, he is now a potential representative of his employer due to association and recognition and his employer while supporting his right to be a jackass may not support his company being associated with said jackass. This is why they wore hoods in the KKK.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
President Trumps nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) chemical safety office has withdrawn his nomination amid criticism from lawmakers about his ties to the chemical industry.

Michael Dourson, a former chemical industry consultant, had come under increased scrutiny from Democratic and Republican senators who voiced concern about his work in the chemical industry.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/364831-trumps-epa-chemical-safety-nominee-withdraws-nomination

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Dan Johnson, a Republican state lawmaker in Kentucky known for inflammatory Facebook posts comparing Barack and Michelle Obama to monkeys and who defiantly denied allegations that he sexually assaulted a teenage girl in the basement of his home, killed himself Wednesday night. He was 57.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Atty-general-Lawmaker-accused-of-assault-should-12428304.php
Sounds like Karma came for a visit with a cup of irony. :rofl::dance:
"There is no such thing as karma, but schadenfreude is real." - @SkaredShtles

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
In the meantime, the FCC is planning to screw the internet up with a side of Freedom Fries™ today...
I also read somewhere ( can't find atm ) that they were also going to repudiate most of their control of broadband. The idea of this is to make it exceedingly difficult / impossible for succeeding administrations to reverse the changes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

NEW YORK (AP) — A lawyer accused of helping pharmaceutical entrepreneur Martin Shkreli cover up a financial fraud was convicted on Wednesday, a result a prosecutor said should send a "powerful message" through the legal profession.

After an 11-week trial, Evan Greebel was convicted by a federal jury in Brooklyn of conspiring to commit securities fraud and wire fraud. His lawyer, Reed Brodsky, said they were "shocked by the verdict."

"We will continue to fight for justice for Evan Greebel and his family," Brodsky said by email.

U.S. Attorney Bridget M. Rohde said Greebel helped Shkreli steal millions of dollars and cover up Shkreli's fraud while the hedge fund manager was chief executive of Retrophin Inc., a biopharmaceutical company.

"Today's verdict sends a powerful message that this office, together with our law enforcement partners, will hold lawyers accountable when they use their legal expertise to facilitate the commission of crimes," Rohde said in a release.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/medical/article/Martin-Shkreli-lawyer-found-guilty-of-fraud-pharma-12458150.php