Quantcast

can you f up speakers by playing the same sound for a long while??

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey. after quite a while without playing videogames.... i´ve spent most this day playing racing games...
i´ve got a sweet setup, 54in screen with my 5.1 stereo hooked to the computer 2.1 outlet...
i was playing all day with the surround to the max and with volume somewhat loud, turned up at abuot 25% of the max... and i just took a break, put on some music.... and my speakers dont sound quite like before :think:, they sound a bit muffled with some tiny bit of noise....

can you mess speakers up by playing continuosly kinda loud the same sound at basically the same pitch (in this case the engine roar)?????
did i fed up mine?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
You might have torn the foam around the edges. You can use a sound pressure gage to find which one and then take a good look at the foam ring around the outside. If you don't have a sound pressure gage, just start w/ the surrounds and look at every one.

Edit: if there is a crack, hopefully you can RMA it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do all of the speakers sound that way?

I mean, you can blow speakers, especially with low frequency sound, but there's no way in hell they should have all gone at once. If they all sound that way, it's probably something in the receiver.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Do all of the speakers sound that way?

I mean, you can blow speakers, especially with low frequency sound, but there's no way in hell they should have all gone at once. If they all sound that way, it's probably something in the receiver.
i´ve just listened to each one of them from close to check.
just 2 of them have the funny noise, the front ones, the right one a bit more notorious:dead: but at least its not like you can notice the noise without paying attention.

am gonna check tomorrow the foam and the surface... they are fairly new, i bought them about 2 months ago.
cables and connections all seem fine from visual inspection.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd try plugging a different source into the system, in case it's something funky with your sound card.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
I'd try plugging a different source into the system, in case it's something funky with your sound card.
hmm.. i just tried that a couple minutes ago.
seems my sound card is the issue.
tried a different set of 2.1 speakers and the right one had a bit of the noise.... tried the 5.1 speakers with a couple cds... cannot point out any difference.

what would be a good and cheap sound card? that supports 3d audio so i can play nascar racing 2003 better :)