Quantcast

Can you fix scratches in black stanchions?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
With Marzocchi putting black stanchions on so many of their new forks it's got me wondering how hard it will be to fix scratches? Seems sanding them wouldn't be the way to go as you'd sand off the anodizing....superglue seems like it might work if you could find a way to smooth it out without scratching off the rest of the anodizing (or whatever coating they are using) but you'd still be able to see the scratches since they wouldn't be filled in with black (not a big deal).

Anybody have more info on this, if they can be easily fixed or not? I'm considering buying a 888R from a dealer that has one with a scratch in the stanchion for $750. Seems like a good deal, if I can fix the scratch.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
tom, that's the worst bit of advice I've ever heard :D..

I guess I can't say much... I always thought scratched stanchions were scratched stanchions.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Guys, they're all hard anodized, they can be fixed the same way. The sanding marks will show up on the black stanchions more b/c silver contrasts more with black than with gold, but the concept is the same.

If you're that vain, after everything's been epoxied over, hit it with a Sharpie and you'll be fairly stealth.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
For a bunch of guys that sit around and reverse-internet engineer problems associated with everything in the world, you guys seriously lack imagination.

Black nail polish will do the job perfectly. Use that, sand down and buff. Tada.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
For a bunch of guys that sit around and reverse-internet engineer problems associated with everything in the world, you guys seriously lack imagination.

Black nail polish will do the job perfectly. Use that, sand down and buff. Tada.
That sounds like a good way to repair it.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
It's not about vanity, it's about resale. If I ever want to sell the fork I would show the potential buyers the scratches I had repaired, the better the repair looks the more they'll be willing to pay for it.

I like the black nail polish idea.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The nail polish works perfectly. I used it on a Stratos S8 i bought that had a wicked ding in the leg.

Go in with 300 grit sandpaper and knock the edges down, to get rid of any seal-tearing nastyness. Then go and CAREFULLY blot some of the nail polish in there, and let the stuff dry well. Then blot more. Then more. Then more. Keep going until the scratch/ ding/ gouge/ gaping wound is completely filled in, and everything is dry. Then, go in with 450 grit and wetsand it down, making it as even as possible. Then go to 600 to make it all nice. Then i used aluminum polish, just to reduce friction.

Works lovely. Pics later.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
That's the kind of accuracy I was hoping for. I had no idea what grit of sandpaper to use to smooth things out without taking all of the black anodizing off of the rest of the stanchion.

I think I'll take that $750 888 then.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm just wondering why somebody is trying to sell an otherwise brand new fork with a scratch, if it was damaged during shipping it should be sent back??? Or am I assuming this fork is new when in reality it is not?

It seems like you can get black epoxy, not the 5 minute stuff but the 24 hour kind. Go to www.mcmaster.com in the search box on the upper left hand side of the screen type in 74575A85 that's some black epoxy, it'll be a lot tougher than nail polish, McMaster Carr should be able to ship same day depending on where you live.

Tip: Tri Flow is $2 less when you buy from McMaster Carr than if you buy from your LBS.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Kornphlake
I'm just wondering why somebody is trying to sell an otherwise brand new fork with a scratch, if it was damaged during shipping it should be sent back??? Or am I assuming this fork is new when in reality it is not?
I was wondering that myself but it's from a legit bike shop in Canada that says it's brand new, unmounted in the box and they are going to give me a receipt so I can get my tax back on it.

I haven't asked why they don't just return it but my best guess is that it's easier to just sell it for cost than take the time and money to return it. If they sell it to me for cost they aren't out a penny and can just order another one up from Marz, hell, they might even be turning a small profit, I think cost on these is a bit below $750 but don't know for sure.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
bump because I just scatched to stanchion of my Minute last night:(

Anyone have an answer for the snowboard stuff?

As of now I'm going to try the nail polish/sandpaper idea that dropmachine.com suggested.

edit: scratch that (;) ), I read a few places that the fingernail polish will flake off, so I'll go with JB Weld.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by scottishmark
*quick question*

Is there any reason (other than the difficulty of scraping it off) why you couldn't use -tex (as in ski/snowboard repair stuff) to fix scratches?
Ummm you mean Ptex? That's stuffs plastic and would just fall out.