Quantcast

Can you get local stations with no cable on a smart tv?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The girl wants to get a new tv for christmas. We're looking at a Samsung smart tv or something. We don't want to pay for cable but she wants to get local shows/channels.

Is this possible or can you only use cable/internet(hulu, netflix,etc) with these smart tv's?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have a smart tv and while nice, you can get a non- smart tv and a chromecast for less than the smart tv itself. granted there's limited support at the moment, and i don't think that amazon prime streaming will be supported in the future.

the "smart" functionality is on top of the basic tv functions, not in place of, so in theory you'd be OK. local channels are only broadcast OTA. i think you need one of those digital antenna thingers.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I want to buy it from amazon so I can use my CC.

I can't find a non-smart tv on amazon.... :/

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
We currently have amazon video, netflix and hulu but the girlly wants to watch local tv crap shows that are not on or available on those.

like wheel or fortune or some crap. Judge judy? I dunno. she let's me do things to her girlly parts (among other things) so I don't question her horrible tv viewing choices...;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We currently have amazon video, netflix and hulu but the girlly wants to watch local tv crap shows that are not on or available on those.

like wheel or fortune or some crap. Judge judy? I dunno. she let's me do things to her girlly parts (among other things) so I don't question her horrible tv viewing choices...;)
amazon is the only one of those that isn't on chromecast, so there's that. not sure if it's a deal breaker for you.

what size/specs/brand tv are you looking at?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can already hook my laptop up to any tv to watch hulu/netflixs/internet anything so that is not relevant to me.

the question is, can my girl watch sh1tty tv shows that are broadcast locally such as jeoprady/wheel/judge judy/etc?

The answer seems to be "yes, with an antenna".

What antenna would I need to use/buy?

Samsung something something is what I was looking at. Blackfriday deal thing and it's 'smart'...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the question is, can my girl watch sh1tty tv shows that are broadcast locally such as jeoprady/wheel/judge judy/etc?

The answer seems to be "yes, with an antenna".

What antenna would I need to use/buy?

Samsung something something is what I was looking at. Blackfriday deal thing and it's 'smart'...

Lifehacker has endorsed a couple:

http://lifehacker.com/5891870/the-mohu-leaf-is-a-paper+thin-hd-antenna-thats-perfect-for-cable-cutters
http://lifehacker.com/5918229/the-clearstream2-indoor-antenna-is-as-powerful-as-they-come-makes-cutting-cable-a-snap

I keep thinking about ditching cable... just can't find a good substitute for live sports.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ok, $400 bucks spent for tv and antenna recommended by BV. Prolly won't pick up any signals but whateva, new tv, bitches! (girl will be happy...)