Quantcast

Cane Creek goes Ti

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wonder what the margin is here since ti is a pita to work with and it doesn't really scale well as you produce more. Plus what's the appeal really? Are carbon trail cranks not stiff enough? Unless you are a 260 pounds I think you don't need to spend 1k on cranks.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not STRONG enough. All taht rock-bashing, you know, causes crabon cranks to break! Oh noes!!

But Ti... shrugs all that shit right off. WIN!
The thing is no it doesn't. I love how in the minds of some people TI is mined from unicorn horns and he-man's penis so it's indestructible.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The one thing that ti is good at is fatigue resistance, but it’s more brittle and suffers just as much from under/improperly designed parts and manufacturing/production flaws. So it is just as “cracky” as anything else. Advantage? Lizards get paid.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I'm just here for the dentist comments...but really you got this shift right now to consumer direct, price conscience, nice bikes that working people can afford and then Cane Creek offers cranks that are literally 5x the cost of a perfectly nice pair of alloys for what, a hundred grams and some bling blang? Give me a break. Marketing stunt to try and get some attention....wild. They're local to me and I want to love them but damn they make it impossible....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm just here for the dentist comments...but really you got this shift right now to consumer direct, price conscience, nice bikes that working people can afford and then Cane Creek offers cranks that are literally 5x the cost of a perfectly nice pair of alloys for what, a hundred grams and some bling blang? Give me a break. Marketing stunt to try and get some attention....wild. They're local to me and I want to love them but damn they make it impossible....
No, finally a trustworthy ti crank option again. I see a lot of potential for gravel bikes and such. But I agree, for a mountain bike XTR M980 cranks are as perfect as they get and can be had for cheap, especially used. Dentists need to get the crabonz.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I mean, I'm definitely not going to buy these, but I don't get being mad about it either. These are obviously a part designed for people with a ton of disposable income who want some bling, and are willing to spend for it. This isn't going to become the norm, or the standard price for a crank going forward. Are you mad that Rolls Royce makes cars too?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I mean, I'm definitely not going to buy these, but I don't get being mad about it either. These are obviously a part designed for people with a ton of disposable income who want some bling, and are willing to spend for it. This isn't going to become the norm, or the standard price for a crank going forward. Are you mad that Rolls Royce makes cars too?
Bah, I would be if I lived in West Sussex, grew up driving Rolls Royces with friends who drove Rolls Royces and worked on their Rolls Royces together but then slowly most things Rolls Royce made started breaking and then Rolls Royce went even more elite in their pricing and suddenly this company I used to like and wanted to like just simply didn't fit me anymore.

I'm not calling them idiots or "mad". They surely did some business type of analysis and obviously think they're going to make money, etc etc. And good on them if they do. It just won't be from me or most of my modest-means riding buddies. That's all.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
As per the google box:

"At first glance salamanders appear to be a type of lizard. However, this is not true. ... Salamandersare also amphibians, while lizards are reptiles. The main differences between reptiles and amphibians are that reptiles are covered in dry scales or scutes, while amphibians have moist skins."

What I can't really find out is if a salamander can beat a lizard.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As per the google box:

"At first glance salamanders appear to be a type of lizard. However, this is not true. ... Salamandersare also amphibians, while lizards are reptiles. The main differences between reptiles and amphibians are that reptiles are covered in dry scales or scutes, while amphibians have moist skins."

What I can't really find out is if a salamander can beat a lizard.
This one could probably give a lot of lizards a run for their money...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As per the google box:

Thank you! :thumb:
Was about to post this.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sea Otter is just around the corner. They have about 100 moots customers who desperately need this product. Hope they have it ready on time for them.