Quantcast

Cane Creek Kitsuma Air Shock…Anyone? Bueller?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, the RS shock I am interested in won’t be available until possibly May. Looking into alternatives, I found the Kitsuma, but I don’t know anyone with one. Long shot, anyone have RECENT experience with Cane Creek Air Shocks?

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
pretty sure that's what my buddy has on his reeb. he just about exclusively rides the area where we went when you were here and seems pretty happy with it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I own one. But I used to work at Cane Creek so the answer I give you probably has some positive bias.

I also own the coil version in the same size, and swap back and forth depending on the day.

Run it on a Giant Reign 29, which has about 15% progression, and I'm running it with no spacers for somewhere around 158-160mm of travel based on napkin math.

What do you want to know? It's a pretty "as advertised" shock - the settings are easy to adjust with discernible differences, it's got a pretty useable damping range for riders in the 150-240lb range, after that it starts to ride the extremes pretty hard and is less strong. For a shock with 2 compression and 2rebound adjustments I find it pretty easy to tune. My general preferences lean towards running the highspeed rebound pretty slow, with the lowspeed being more open, and a fairly light damping tune so I can let the spring do the work.

There's not a ton of difference between the coil and the air. For this particular bike I generally like the air a little more, due to the added progression vs having to run a stiffer spring for the coil. YMMV on that one though, if you're riding a YT you'll probably see the value in coil instead of air.

Air spring is pretty solid for an air spring - there isn't a huge saggy dead spot in it. I've played with it with 0 and 1 volume spacer, and am currently running one. It's still an air spring, and while I hear about the next greatest air spring that doesn't have the "saggy air spring" feel what feels like once every 6 months, I've yet to actually ride one that doesn't have any sort of air spring feel OR doesn't feel sticky as shit. This one is pretty smooth, dead spot is minimal, but if you're looking for it you'll find it. Doesn't bother me a ton since It still feels pretty smooth and supple, but again, make what you will of that. If you're running it on a bike with a ton of progression it might have a little more of a dead spot if the leverage ratio and shock ramp up at the same spot you could find yourself riding in more of a pocket. That's general airspring issues though and not specific to a Kitsuma.

Been riding it for 2 years now in the pacNW and now down here in the Southeast without any maintainance, but its probably time to send it back just to keep it rolling long term. Still feels pretty good without any noticable play, sticky parts, or issues, but for peace of mind I think I'll be getting a rebuild.

All and all, happy with its performance and no intention of getting anything else unless I decide to sell the bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Havent seen any on bikes here in Socal...so it's good to hear was asked about one couple weeks ago and had no answer with any experience of that shock . Was curious myself so this is a good read.
.I do like my ccdb coils I still have 2 and need to get jons ccdb air back to him this week.

Going to do a custom set up like @ChrisRobin did...his ccdb is badass and 1 off.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Thanks, everyone. William’s report has pretty much swung it. Just sent Bryan an email, *possibly* going to go with Kitsuma, MK2 Fork, some ridiculous EEwings, and a BB.
Gotta spend those mega-millions, Yo!
(in all seriousness, I will have a new X2, New Pike Ultimate, new Float X, and basically new Carbon Element for sale).

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Havent seen any on bikes here in Socal...so it's good to hear was asked about one couple weeks ago and had no answer with any experience of that shock . Was curious myself so this is a good read.
.I do like my ccdb coils I still have 2 and need to get jons ccdb air back to him this week.

Going to do a custom set up like @ChrisRobin did...his ccdb is badass and 1 off.
seriously. stop building pens already.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
man, I had a real love/hate thing with Cane Creek DB shocks for a while. Loved them when they worked, but I had more reliability issues with those than any other shock I've used.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
man, I had a real love/hate thing with Cane Creek DB shocks for a while. Loved them when they worked, but I had more reliability issues with those than any other shock I've used.
Not had any issues with my coils...beat in em pretty damn good in past and been solid .air I've had issues and we had a oddball issue with a full upgrade kit on a ccdb air recently.. air has given me crap but coil I've been happy with