Quantcast

CANE CREEK USD Fork?

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
The "Sicklines" gallery of the CANE CREEK booth at Interbike 2008 shows an INTENSE M6 with an USD fork with adjusters at the bottom that look like the ones of the CCDB. Is this the long announced CANE CREEK fork with ÖHLINS´ "Twin Tube" technology? How knows more about this fork?

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
The "Sicklines" gallery of the CANE CREEK booth at Interbike 2008 shows an INTENSE M6 with an USD fork with adjusters at the bottom that look like the ones of the CCDB. Is this the long announced CANE CREEK fork with ÖHLINS´ "Twin Tube" technology? How knows more about this fork?
Curious: The "MTBR" gallery of the CANE CREEK booth at Interbike 2008 (http://www.mtbr.com/TRD_16_393crx.aspx) shows the same INTENSE M6 bike, but NOT the fork!?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't know, but I wonder if Ohlins MX stuff even works like the mountain bike stuff. According to CC, the shimmed piston on the CCDB only works during the hardest impacts, and everything is controlled by the spring-loaded poppet valves. They are spring-loaded and essentially you adjust the preload, which isn't the same as a heavier/lighter spring. With this knowledge, it seems to indicate that it could be made better with tuning (different weight springs/shim stack). Even if that shim-stack blows off under only the most extreme conditions, that force would still vary from rider to rider and application to application. Push is actually looking into moding the shock as we talk. My question though is with the above assertation that the shim stack "only" blows off under the most extreme conditions, is this the way the MX stuff operates as well? I've seen the diagrams, but that doesn't really answer the question. Does it function more like a high-speed damping circut, or does it only engage under the most extreme conditions with the MX stuff?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
if that is a true ohlins bike fork, it would probably outperform anything on the bike market... but it looks way to huge for a bike, and waay to heavy for a bike as well. Asides from that, it is ugly as hell! I wonder if they can adapt that mx cartrigde for bicycle forks, that would be insane.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
if that is a true ohlins bike fork, it would probably outperform anything on the bike market... but it looks way to huge for a bike, and waay to heavy for a bike as well. Asides from that, it is ugly as hell! I wonder if they can adapt that mx cartrigde for bicycle forks, that would be insane.
Well you got Bos and Dorado forks tuned for every customer. Bos is also direct competiton of ohlins in the WRC world so outperforming wouldn't be so easy.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
from what Ive heard about the bos fork... it doesnt sound to promosing, same goes with the shoxs. Anyways, I guess Ill never know until I try one out, but from what I gather, Bos is over hyped, in other words, people think it will out perform anythink when its just like any other product in the industry... or posible worse.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
from what Ive heard about the bos fork... it doesnt sound to promosing, same goes with the shoxs. Anyways, I guess Ill never know until I try one out, but from what I gather, Bos is over hyped, in other words, people think it will out perform anythink when its just like any other product in the industry... or posible worse.
Dunno about fork but from what I've heard about pre stoy model it was great and a class higher than the DHX.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Im not trying yo say its bad, but it just isnt cutting it. I guess it also depends on what you demand from a shock. DHX are simple and user friendly, they work and perform as they should, but they just arent on top... thats why FOX has a new shock on the way... to stay on top

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
That fork looks like an MX fork to me, look at how much stanchion is hanging out, at least 2" more than a Shiver!:happydance:

If it is an Ohlins DH fork, then I want one, and a shock.:cheers:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I haven't ridden the BOS fork, but the BOS shock is definitely a level or two above a DHX.

Edit: I am sponsored by them however.

Last edited:

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
For some people the DHX wil be better then the CCDB, for some others the Bos will be better then the ccdb. It just depends on your weight, bike and demands.
I have ridden a DHX, Vivid, CCDB and Bos in my socom.
The bos is definitely the best for me, then the vivid and then the CCDB and DHX.

For me the CCDB just performed like crap, the rebound was way to slow. The vivid didn't have enough LSC and the Bos is just almost perfect.

Why the hell did they even put a moto fork in a dh bike? I would expect a wallmart brand to do something like that. This just looks rediculous.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Can you give us a broader review of the bos shock? What are the pros/cons? Plush? Stable?

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Why the hell did they even put a moto fork in a dh bike? I would expect a wallmart brand to do something like that. This just looks rediculous.
May be CANE CREEK would just like to give a hint that they have something new (fork) in the pipeline.

Somebody told that BIONICON is going to adapt the CCDB for the AeroLink in their "Ironwood" bike (http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=358118, http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpost.php?p=5134755&postcount=5). However, the BIONICON guys have a nice "Special Agent" USD fork with a huge 35 mm axle in their product range (http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=434&SID=1224603383_754400000000dc6f2539, http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188298&highlight=x-fusion), which could be an interesting object to implement TTX cartridges. Besides the X-Fusion air shock, this is a first coil-over shock, bolted on the BIONICON AeroLink ("Ironwood"), but not (yet) a CCDB:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I suspect CC did this just so people would have something else to that sh*t about on the internet.
yep...spacers on the hub, custom brake adapter that doesn't quite line up the pistons right, massive spacing, 12" of travel, and a 55 degree head angle. Pretty sure they're stirring the pot on this one...

but if they're watching and waiting for a response, DO IT....another USD competitor would be awesome.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
What fork should they have put on a bike in their booth at Interbike? A couple of powder coated broom handles would have been better marketing than putting another suspension companies product on the front of the bike and their own on the back of the bike. It just wouldn't make sense to market for somebody else. I hope that it does mean they are exploring the option of making another top of the line part though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have ridden a DHX, Vivid, CCDB and Bos in my socom.
The bos is definitely the best for me, then the vivid and then the CCDB and DHX.

For me the CCDB just performed like crap, the rebound was way to slow. The vivid didn't have enough LSC and the Bos is just almost perfect.
Can you please get into more details about the shocks/bike setup/your weight and riding style? I am considering to upgrade the Socom to another shock, but like you said, different riders different shocks.....This is why I need more details.
Thanks!

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
A guy I ride with runs a company that build a lot of race cars, one of his best friends works for one of the larger importers into the UK for bike bits, so he swaps his kit out a fair amount. One advantage is he has the access to a suspension dyno, and decided to have a little fun trying out a few shocks.

Suffice to say, and as others have found, the DHX performed the worst, confirming what others have suggested, inconsistency across like for like shocks, poor heat control, bad spiking when worked hard, and the rebound went into meltdown when it got a little bit warm. Adjustments were next to useless on all stock models. No noticable difference unless the first couple of clicks or last.

He has run both a BOS & CCDB by comparison & they can be worked far harder, and produce far more consistent results across the board & do not suffer anywhere near as badly with heat build up. Adjustments actually make a difference too! Subtle changes can be detected.

I've run a far few different shocks, and I rate the DHX about has highly as an old 5th Elephant. Yes you know its there, kinda doing something, but nothing great. Bike felt alright, suffered greatly from mid corner wallow, which went in hand with what I was expecting (poor mid stroke control - apparently can be remedied greatly with some PUSH work?).

PUSH'd Van R. As far as fit & forget shocks go, this one was pretty good. Felt a lot more controlled than the old DHX and didn't blow its travel. Pretty basic shock with limited adjustability. Great shock if you just want to chuck something on there & it works.

CCDB. I went for as an experiment. Picked one up second hand, after reading so many conflicting stories about them being 'tuned' specifically for rider/bike, and then confirming they arn't & chucked it on my Socom. I liked the way it worked with the basic 'factory' settings. Took a lot of getting used to after riding with the DHX. I dropped a spring rate & the bike instantly felt a lot more stable and could feel it tracking a lot better. However it highlighted a couple of failings of the fork. The back would take it all, the front was skittering around so needed some work to make it feel better. My big issue with the DB was it was a bit of a headache to get the settings right. Its a real fettlers shock. If you like to tinker with it, making constant adjustments, then its for you. Its still on the Socom now, but my girlfriend is riding it instead. As an aside, and I couldn't explain why, but it seemed to ride a lot better with a set of Boxxers out front rather than my 40's?

BOS Stoy. I swapped this out from the DHX the Sunday came with. If a bike could highlight how bad a DHX can be out of the box, then the Sunday is it. It felt awful :( I can only assume its because of the way the suspension works, but the bike felt really dead to ride. I've read about the DHX being 'factory tuned' for the Sunday, but TF suggest otherwise. Apparently its a bog standard shock. PUSH work makes them ride a lot better, but then I factored in the cost of the PUSH work on a new shock (circa £140) I decided to sell the shock, and put that money, and the money I was going to spend on the PUSH work towards a Stoy, which ended up costing me not much more in total via a backdoor means. The Stoy to me is a bit more of a fit & forget CCDB. Feels very similar to the DB in that it sits higher in its travel despite a lower spring rate, and doesn't blow its way through it when loading it up through high speed corners, yet it still manages to feel supple and consistent. So far, very impressed.

For me, I can see the merits of high end shocks. I find it strange that people will drop up to, and over £1000 on a set of forks, yet run a bog standard, factory fitted shock out the back, thats not even tuned to the bike or their riding style. IMO the rear shock is just as important as the front as these 2 parts are the only bits that control the 2 most important bits on the bike, the tyres. (rider excluded).

I'll happily call a spade a spade if its junk, or if its cost me some money & i'm not impressed by it. Making mistakes is part of life. I don't think either the CCDB or BOS is a mistake. For me, the better shock is the BOS, just because its easier to get my head around. For someone else though, it might be a different story. We can only tell the facts as we see them personally. :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
-c-: you are obviously someone who likes a bike with loads of compression damping. people who normally call a push tune poo are people who hate compression damping and prefer their shocks as 'plush' as possible. probably the same type of ppl who thing the bos shock is poo too.

it all comes down to riding style. for most riders, a stock dhx is pretty good for them.

now anytime i ride a stock shock, it feels like its just a spring with no control in compression what so ever and way too much rebound damping.

Oct 14, 2007
i have DB...but i mean its kinda like comparing an apple to an orange seing as all the other shocks except the stoy are half the price of the DB or the Stoy...lets not forget that the stoy and the DB are considered to be highly reserved for a portion of us that have madd money to spend....FOX makes shocks for the mass rider...to some extent they can only go so far with the boundaries they have...plenty of people wouldn't fork over that kind of money for a rear shock EVER

but wtv i love my db and that's all that matters