Quantcast

Cannondale Scalpel Headshok conversion.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
Just wanted to see if anyone has made the conversion to a standard fork setup and if so what they thought about it. I am currently going to change over the head set to a cane creek to allow for a standard fork set up but have not been able to get good feedback as to what fork setup I should run up front. I would like to have a minimum of 100mm but would like to get some feedback as to what has worked for someone else. My fork choices that I would like to use are Fox Float Team 100mm or a Rock Shox Team Reba 100mm. Any help someone could give me would be much appreciated.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
I have been riding it for 2 year like it is but it has been really rough through the rocky sections. I took a good fall about 2 weeks ago ( 6 broken ribs, puntured lung, bruised kindney...) when my front washed out on me. I am finding the front end just too twitchy on anything but smooth single track. I do love that it has quick handling but I am willing to give it up for some extra front suspension.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I made the conversion on a Super V I had a long time ago and I liked it....but I've never owned/ridden a Scapel so I couldn't tell you how it will be affected by the change. I'd say go for it and then let us know what happens :)

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I have an F600 I converted about 18/20 months ago now. The Cane Creek conversion headset works very well and I don't have any complaints about it. Don't really have a fork to recommend.

nitrox

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
I rode the scalpel with marzocchi mx 100mm and the sensation was really good along the trail with different terrain.
also you have many more options in forks, headset....but as many cannondale´s the minimun is 100mm - angle -.

remember the fork set-up in any fork you prove

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
Here is what I have decided to go with. I bought the Cane Creek headset and will switch to a Rock Shox Rebba Team 100mm Front Fork with the Race Face Deux stem 120mm. I will let everyone know how it works in about two weeks. I think this should put me close to stock. I think this should keep the geometry pretty close. Thank you for your input.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
It is the same size that came on it so I figured I would start there and if I needed to shorten it up I would later. The Fatty headshok just didnt absorb the rocks here where I ride. ( French Creek in PA and some other places in PA, MD and DE. ) The Head Shock didnt absorb rocks but it would bottom out and deflect far to fast. I just dont think there is enough adjustment on the Headshok for the type of terrain that I ride in. What size stem would you reccommend?

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
I did play with different air settings in the Headshok but I really couldnt get it where it would work consistently with changing terrain. The compression and rebound were either too soft or too hard.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
Heath,
IM me some prices on the lefty set up. I have priced them and by the time I buy the wheel set up and the front fork it was just too expensive. I even looked at buying a used lefty and having it rebuilt but by the time I would have it rebuilt I could buy the std. setup new for less. By the way your dealership looks awesome, I would visit if not for being on the East side. I paid $500 for new Rebba Team 100mm forks, $75 Cane Creek Headset, $50 for Race Face Deux Stem to make the change.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
get a lefty i watched nzripper hit the dh course at sugar on that thing ..they are a great stiff fork. plus if ya get a flat u dont have to take the wheel off

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
Yeah, the lefty was my first choice but after researching prices for the lefty and a std set up, the cost vs. performance gain I dont think was worth the price of the lefty front fork and new wheel set up. I think for the type of riding I do a std set up should be perfect but I will have to wait and see. Thank you for your help and input.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
you could wait and see what comes up used (for the Lefty)....this is the time of year when everyone dumps their gear.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
Yeah, I could do that but I was told by a good friend who worked for C-dale that the older lefty front forks were more reliable than the newer ones but by the time I rebuild a used one to new spec's it would be cheaper to just buy new std style front forks. I have been looking on ebay for a lefty even used ones are just too much money. I would also need to get a front rim for the Lefty. I just think ( IMO ) for the performance gain that I would get with the lefty over a std fork set up for the money is not worth it. I could be wrong on my thinking because I haven't ridden a lefty front fork before but I do have experience with my Rock Shox Sid Race on my other MTB and I really liked it. I just can't see spending a $800.00 to $1400.00 for a Lefty front fork and wheel set up. I would almost opt for a new all MTB bike for the money. Anyone who has ridden both the Lefty and a std fork set up have any opinions on whether the Lefty is worth the price for the performance gain over a std set up.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
you know what you should do maybe? sell the scalpel, switch to a 4 or 5 inch bike. trance stumpy rush fsrxc, whatever jamis's offering is in there. those would be good for you. imho the scalpel is a silly bike for you.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
That is probrably true but it climbs like I want it too and it is really fast on single track trails. I just thought I could make it a better all MTB with a std front set up. If I was going to sell it and get a new bike it would have to be a bike that climbs really well ( climbing is a key feature for me ) and still can go downhill ( im not talking about 8ft drops ). I would probrably get something like the Santa Cruz Blur or a Specialized Epic.