Quantcast

cannondale sv1ooo

cowboy

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
middletown, de
I was wandering if this bike is a good bike, i am looking for freeride and xc, I am beginner so nothing serious yet. 1999 Cannondale Super V 1000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty SL fork. I think I made a found a good deal on a used one. Also what should I look for when checking out this bike in person in way of wear and tear that i should be cautious about.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey dude, welcome to ridemonkey.

that bike is certainly decent for its day, but it's not real great anymore. Do you have any photos? 1998 was really the year of the disk brake revolution, but if the frame doesn't have disk mounts, you may be missing out on a huge leap in braking technology and upgradeability. The great thing about the super v's is that a lot of their parts are interchangeable, so if you want a new front or rear triangle, you can get one. The bad part is you've got a headshock on there, which can either be great or very bad, depending on how the owner took care of it.

that being said, the bike will be fine for XC, but it is very much not a freeride bike, in the sense of jumping off anything. If you want to cover lots of ground, you should be fine, but it won't handle getting air well.

What's your budget, and how much is this bike? I don't think I'd pay much over 3-400 on it based on specs alone. I would imagine you can find a decent disk brake equipped bike for that much.

cowboy

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
middletown, de
my budget is around 700 with some wiggle room. I am new to freeride and xc so Iwon't be doing any major jumps or anything for a bit. Though I want to work my way up there. I figured on finding something to get me started. heres the bike. not a great pic sent to me through iphone

was told kept in great condition, givin tune up yearly. He's askin for 425 for it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2347110675.html

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bik/2331931117.html

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bik/2331936539.html

http://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/2298893975.html

http://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/2342851518.html

Here are a few others in your area that are also great bikes. I really like that specialized stumpjumper, if it fits you, and the Giant isn't bad either. You may be able to talk the gary fisher guy down a bit on price.

for 425 that's not a bad bike, it'll get your feet wet into cycling and as you get more into the sport, you'll find out what you like and don't like. Still, I think you'd be better served by investing a bit more money into a more modern and stronger frame. The super v was originated in like 94, and although they kept revising it until it died in like 04, the design didn't change much. Other designs will probably be stronger, and honestly at your weight you'll need a strong frame, fork, and wheels.

Things to look for when looking at any bike:
Are the wheels true, and do they spin well
are the shocks in good shape? By that, does the suspension go about 30% of the way down when you stand on the bike, then return quickly when you get off it? If you press on the fork or shock, does it spring right back up with a clunk, or does it move really slowly back to the top, or does it come right back up in a nice controlled manner? Any oil on the shock shaft or on the fork legs?
Do the brakes work well? Are the pads healthy? Any leaks from hydraulic oil?
Is the drivetrain in good shape? Are the teeth on the cassette (the gears in back) shaped like sharkteeth, or are they a nice pyramid shape? Is the derailleur hanger (the little nub that comes off the swingarm, which the gear "thingee" is attached to) straight, or is it bent to the side? That can be a major problem if it's crooked.
Any cracks at the head tube or seat tube? Or where the shock mounts? Those are the most common areas.

Most things on a bike can be replaced or fixed...those are the hardest to correct or most expensive.

You're close to philly and baltimore I see. You might be able to find better deals by looking near those cities than in DE proper.

cowboy

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
middletown, de
thanks for the links, i'm looking into those, one correction is i meant a cross between freeride and all mountain. What the opinion on the trek ds kaitai or other models.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that trek looks like a decent starter bike, but if it were me, I'd buy the used cannondale and save the $200. Not a huge upgrade buying that new bike, in my opinion. Come to think of it, my wife has a cannondale hardtail from the same era and it has lockout on the fork, which still works.

are you sure you understand what the connotations "freeride" and "all-mountain" mean? Freeride bikes are pretty burly, generally 7" travel bikes that can be ridden reluctantly to the top of a trail or drop and are generally overbuilt for strength. "all-mountain" bikes are slightly lower travel that can be ridden all over, though slower and more comfortably than a trail bike. If you want to get a true freeride or AM bike, you're looking at dropping $2000 or more, in most cases. If you're just getting into the sport, I suggest looking for a 4-5" travel bike from a reputable builder. That specialized would do well on a variety of terrain, and it's not too outdated to be useful. Some of those bikes, despite being labeled "XC", would do well for a beginner rider just getting into the sport. Eventually you'll figure out where you fit in terms of "genre" and then you can decide to buy a more committed ride, but if you're just starting out, you'll be most rewarded by buying a well-rounded bike that can do a little bit of everything and won't be sensitive to maintenance.