Quantcast

Cantis vs Disc

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was just curious about cantilever brakes vs disc for cyclocross bikes.

There were more and more high end choices until UCI decided to Luddite cyclocross bikes.

I was wondering if disc brakes make a huge difference, or given the thinner tires, does canti do a fine job, particularly in all weather conditions.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You know that dics are now allowed by the UCI again? As far as I have seen the pro are making the move as soon as they can but the move was made difficult as it came to late for many to adjust.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Disc will always work better, but might add weight, and there is only one semi good mech. disc (bb7) and nobody has a Hydro drop lever.

Will one of the S companies step up? I don't know.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I wonder how high the spoke count will have to be also.
No. Shimano has made and makes 24 spoke xc disc wheels. My Zipp 303 cross wheels are 24's as well. Currently there would be a weight penalty of maybe a pound. But once the manufacturers get their head around it and produce disc specific forks, wheels (with really light rims that do not have to be designed for a brake track too) and hydraulic calipers, I would guess the weight will be pretty close to what we have now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You know that dics are now allowed by the UCI again? As far as I have seen the pro are making the move as soon as they can but the move was made difficult as it came to late for many to adjust.
Yeah, I heard that, but of the companies I typically deal with, none offer a disc model this year.

This is not something serious for me. I will probably end up on a rigid 29er for a city commuter/dirt trail bike.

But I would be more likely to get a CX bike if I could get discs.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm a little disappointed with the ruling because it will take away the classic look of cross bikes. I think the place discs will be most helpful, will be the dry where you can hook up. In the wet if you have too much power the wheel will break loose and cause issues. There have been some complaints along those lines with the new TRP mini Vs.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would think somebody like James would know more about when the disc bikes will be more widely available. I would think Shimano and Sram would make hydraulic options and if they have done integrated on mtb (at least Shimano has) it should not be that difficult on CX. Oldfart has a good point that full benefit will not be there before everything is in the complete package is optimized.

Wouldn't even be interesting on road bikes with all of the breaking and heating problems you see with carbon rims?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would think somebody like James would know more about when the disc bikes will be more widely available. I would think Shimano and Sram would make hydraulic options and if they have done integrated on mtb (at least Shimano has) it should not be that difficult on CX. Oldfart has a good point that full benefit will not be there before everything is in the complete package is optimized.

Wouldn't even be interesting on road bikes with all of the breaking and heating problems you see with carbon rims?
SRAM has been selling it as a safety issue for road bikes When Boloki broke his femur, he became the poster child for their argument, but I don't know what ever happened to it. Part of me thinks that Shimano will come out with a full hydro Di2 setup so that you have no cables on the bike. The other part of me thinks that there isn't enough money in cross to make the effort worth it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
SRAM has been selling it as a safety issue for road bikes When Boloki broke his femur, he became the poster child for their argument, but I don't know what ever happened to it. Part of me thinks that Shimano will come out with a full hydro Di2 setup so that you have no cables on the bike. The other part of me thinks that there isn't enough money in cross to make the effort worth it.
But it could be a good testing ground for them to open op the minds of the roadie who is one conservative guy (except for the use of flashy colors).

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'm a little disappointed with the ruling because it will take away the classic look of cross bikes. I think the place discs will be most helpful, will be the dry where you can hook up. In the wet if you have too much power the wheel will break loose and cause issues. There have been some complaints along those lines with the new TRP mini Vs.
It's not so much a question of power but modulation. Old mountain v's were never known for great modulation especially in the wet. I mean I had the dreaded brake shudder with XTR v's on a Marzocchi Z2 Bomber! I imagine that mini v's probably don't have the best modulation either. I don't think riders that have limited experience with disc brakes, good disc brakes don't realize. It ain't the raw power that makes them superior it's the modulation control and consistency that makes a disc brake superior. There are certainly some disc brakes that don't modulate that well or are so strong that they are grabby.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The other part of me thinks that there isn't enough money in cross to make the effort worth it.
That's a really good point. But consider what Cervelo said about their super light frame (California?) They claim that the market for that stuff is not the racer but the MAMIL's. (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) Those guys will buy the latest and greatest. That said, it sure helps to sell your latest and greatest when the top pros are using it. The cross market is a growing one here. What is it like in Europe? If it is perceived as a huge opportunity, it will happen. Here in Vancouver we used to see big manufacturers coming here checking us out, sending us stuff (when i worked in the industry) because they perceived this to be a huge market. I don't know if it was or is, but they thought it was.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
That's a really good point. But consider what Cervelo said about their super light frame (California?) They claim that the market for that stuff is not the racer but the MAMIL's. (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) Those guys will buy the latest and greatest. That said, it sure helps to sell your latest and greatest when the top pros are using it. The cross market is a growing one here. What is it like in Europe? If it is perceived as a huge opportunity, it will happen. Here in Vancouver we used to see big manufacturers coming here checking us out, sending us stuff (when i worked in the industry) because they perceived this to be a huge market. I don't know if it was or is, but they thought it was.
The big difference is that pretty much anyone can ride a road bike, riding a road bike off road takes some skill. Most people don't train for cross unless they race cross. Riding rough trails on a full rigid bike isn't most ppl's idea of fun. If they used the technology on high end touring bikes, the R&D could be worth it...but MAMIL's want to imitate their favorite road pro. If they get discs approved for road, we'll see a huge jump in technology in a short span of time.

Um, there's power and modulation. Good modulation should allow you to apply whatever power you need for present circumstances. [Edit: Scooped by oldfart...]

"Classic look of cross bikes"? Come on...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So, questions....CX bikes with disc brakes.....135 rear spacing, or can we expect to see some 130 mm disc hubs?

Sold my Willits (and regretting it already) and am already looking at how to build up my next one.