Quantcast

Car/Dealership issue...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I bought a used car from a dealership about two months ago. It has high mileage but is in good shape and just about perfect for my needs.

One thing that was important to my wife and I was that the AC worked. Having two little kids it just gets to hot in the summer not to have so when I got the car I asked the sales guy about the AC and he assured me it worked. My wife asked him at a second time at a later date, and again he said it worked.

It was 30 degrees out when I bought the car so there was no way to test the AC; you turn it on in weather like that and it's going to blow no matter what.

So today is the first real hot day of the year that and my wife goes turn the AC on, and it doesn't work. I called the dealership and explained the situation to them and they've told me that the car was sold as is and they're not responsible for it.

I asked to speak to the sales manager and am waiting for a call back.

My contention is that I asked about the AC, twice, and was assured it's working, though now I find out that it's not. I think they should pay to fix it.

Do I have a leg to stand on here?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Do I have a leg to stand on here?
That depends on the reputation of dealership. My personal opinion is yes you do.

Terrorize the f uck out of the salesman since he is the one who told you that the AC did work. If you are persistant and annoying enough they might do the work to get you to go away.

Also look over your contract to see if there is or was a state warranty included with the car. Here in NY all cars from a dealership have a small crappy warranty. You're out of luck with pulling the lawsuit card if you signed off on buying a warranty.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm pretty good friends with the owner of a large toyota dealership.

First thing I've noticed that no matter how much he drills to the lower staff that the customer comes first yadda yadda yadda they never get it.

So like Boogenman said it really depends on the dealership but my first suggestion is go as close to the top as you possibly can as quick as you can. As a last resort threaten the BBB.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
That depends on the reputation of dealership. My personal opinion is yes you do.

Terrorize the f uck out of the salesman since he is the one who told you that the AC did work. If you are persistant and annoying enough they might do the work to get you to go away.

Also look over your contract to see if there is or was a state warranty included with the car. Here in NY all cars from a dealership have a small crappy warranty. You're out of luck with pulling the lawsuit card if you signed off on buying a warranty.
The AC not working is not enough for me to do anything legal, and I'm sure legally they don't have to do anything about it. I would expect the dealership to honor what they told me when I bought the car. I honestly would not have bought the car without the AC working (or would have had them fix it first).

I guess more than anything it's the principle of the thing that bothers me the most. You told me something worked and it doesn't, honor that and fix it for me.

It's not like I asked if the AC worked and was told, "I don't know, you should probably get it checked out; the car is sold as is." I was told, "oh yeah it works, no problem." Multiple times.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am aware of this. However as a dealership looking for repeat business, or any business at all, I would expect them to fix the problem. I don't think that's unreasonable.
That is why I am suprised it is not getting fixed. Like I said it depends on the dealership and some just don't give a f uck about you after you drive off the lot.

I know it is not enough for you to take legal action but you sure can threaten them with it still. People do it to us all the time and it usually works.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Its possible they didn't lie to you. Maybe the a/c was working fine when you bought it and it just happened to break now. There is no way you can prove otherwise. If there is no warranty or any guarantee in writing that the a/c would work 2 months later you are SOL.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
As Is/No Warranty is exactly what it means.
Yes and no. For a contract to be valid both parties must have a meeting of the minds. The sale was contingent on the AC working. You may be able to have the contract voided based on this

Should have got it in writing...
This is where it gets difficult as there is no proof that the deal was contingent on the AC working

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yes and no. For a contract to be valid both parties must have a meeting of the minds. The sale was contingent on the AC working. You may be able to have the contract voided based on this

This is where it gets difficult as there is no proof that the deal was contingent on the AC working
and, realistically, the hassle of going through small claims or hiring a lawyer is probably equivalent to that of getting the a/c fixed. sorry, vtjim.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
:rofl:

You're talking about a used car lot monkey...
yeah, true. My expectations are too high. This is the kind of thing that gets me all worked up though. It sucks because I really liked buying a car from them; it was easy, no hassle etc. They actually restored my faith in car dealerships at least a little bit. This of course has ruined it (assuming they don't fix it).

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
and, realistically, the hassle of going through small claims or hiring a lawyer is probably equivalent to that of getting the a/c fixed. sorry, vtjim.
Oh yeah, that's not worth it at all. I mean hell, it may just need a charge. I just expected the people I bought if from to fix it... like I said, the principle of the thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, ma has a pretty solid lemon law. I'm doubtful that you qualify, but if you do, you can pretty much drop the car off on their lot and get your money back. Otherwise your only option is to hassle the thsi out of them, and yelp, etc. the crap out of bad reviews until they offer assistance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless the system is damaged, you should be able to have it charged for $150 or less (likely less). Most shops will inspect your system for free before recharging. If it ONLY need to be recharged, save your breath, pay the man, move on.