Quantcast

Carbon Brake Rotors

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
curious to see whether they really fixed the problem with carbon brakes needing awfully high temperatures to work properly...
You're thinking of carbon/carbon brakes. Carbon/ceramics don't have the same issues. They're fine for street use in your car if you don't mind paying the $8k+ upgrade price.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've heard, that thanks to ingredients of SiCCC rotors, they actually may work :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You're thinking of carbon/carbon brakes. Carbon/ceramics don't have the same issues. They're fine for street use in your car if you don't mind paying the $8k+ upgrade price.
carbon rotor'd cars still dont perform all too well until they heat up.

Hasn't been a problem on motorcycles, don't see why it would be on bikes.
do moto x bikes use them? because comparing a street bike to a DH bike isnt exactly apples to apples

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
carbon rotor'd cars still dont perform all too well until they heat up.

do moto x bikes use them? because comparing a street bike to a DH bike isnt exactly apples to apples
Pedal feedback improves as you heat em up, but they're still fine for daily driving. I don't know about you but the brakes on my DH bike heat up damn quick.

MX tech usually follows sport bike tech - take carbon wheels for example. Ceramic carbon rotors have only been around on super cars since the late 90s and more recently on sport bikes. You'll likely see them soon.

I'm willing to spend $100 to see if it improves my brakes. Seems like a better potential investment then $100 to save 50 grams on some f#cknut part like a seatpost.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
besides, roadies and xc wankers are the ones who spend money on bikes like its a competition.
You have got be kidding with this one. Every niche has people who are guilty of this as well as people who don't give a crap. I've seen way more parking lot wankers at DH mountains than anywhere else.

Anyway, yeah not sure about these but we'll see. Funny how in that 650B thread someone suggested we need to work on disc rotors and then over here a new idea is met with skepticism.

SCARY

Not long enough
I'm a wanker.
-Spose that's known already.
I might get these for fun..and awesomeness.
It'll be cool to see road bikes embrace discs,finally.
Now you guys with no taste,with your "murdered out "bikes can finally address the weak link in your all too common fashion statement .You'll be soo much blackier than the other guys.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am no expect in cars ceramic disc brakes, but maybe the fact, that Kettle uses carbide solves the problem of "cold brakes"?
I would really like them to work properly :)

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
well, the main difference between a bike rotor and all the carbon rotors on heavier and faster forms of transport is the size and mass, and the fact they do not have a risk of impact damage as is the case on a DH bike. While I appreciate that carbon layup methods have improved to the point that glass-like shattering is just a negative sentiment as opposed to a bona fide fact, I do wonder how well a thin, annulus carbon structure would hold up to impacts. It is notable they make no mention of crash/impact testing. Not everyone crashes or suffers impact damage to rotors, but it would be nice to know how these would hold up.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The lighter my DH bike gets the more I like riding it all day and the more I ride it outside the resorts. It's looking like in the next year it'll drop from the current 36ish to 32ish pounds with no downsides and better braking, front suspension, and less tire/rim issues.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure about these. I think the system could be phenomenal for DH use where heat is hot and brakes are used nearly constantly. I do agree that the catastrophic phailure vs. a slight bend could be an issue, but if you're willing to spend $200 on rotors when you could have spent $40, you better be on that podium or dead.

I do wonder whether you need special pads to truly take advantage, but it's tough to say these are anything but a gimmick until they actually have trail time. Kickstarter always cracks me up, do people ever follow through?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure about these. I think the system could be phenomenal for DH use where heat is hot and brakes are used nearly constantly. I do agree that the catastrophic phailure vs. a slight bend could be an issue, but if you're willing to spend $200 on rotors when you could have spent $40, you better be on that podium or dead.

I do wonder whether you need special pads to truly take advantage, but it's tough to say these are anything but a gimmick until they actually have trail time. Kickstarter always cracks me up, do people ever follow through?
Bending won't be an issue. Cracking fracturing etc, those are the failure modes to be concerned about. Especially when you are limited to a certain thickness and can't just layer on extra material like with a frame.

Road biking is probably the ideal place for them and their claimed heat dissipation improvements will be seen because of long continual descents.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'll be all over this, no more glazed pads for me! I'm hardly worried about it failing, if you hit your ss rotor, it bends. Hit the carbon rotor and it'll probably fracture or be fine, careful tapping with a sounding hammer on the rotor on a surface plate will tell you if it's de-laminated or not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bending won't be an issue. Cracking fracturing etc, those are the failure modes to be concerned about. Especially when you are limited to a certain thickness and can't just layer on extra material like with a frame.

Road biking is probably the ideal place for them and their claimed heat dissipation improvements will be seen because of long continual descents.
road bikes have done well for thousands of years with rim brakes...I doubt heat dissipation will ever be that much of an issue...or was that sarcasm?

I meant a bend on an steel rotor. A crash that may bend a steel rotor may destroy a carbon one...that's not a problem for joe "hundredths off the clock", but for herbie the cat2 slug, it's more dough to shell out.

Still, the 28lb session just became a 27.899 lb session!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Compatible sure, works right though?
From Kickstarter:
What are SiCCC rotors compatible with?
Sintered metal, organic, semi metallic, kevlar, ceramic, resin and 'unidentified' oem pad materials were all tested. All major hydraulic brake systems, Dot 4, Dot 5, mineral oil as well as mechanical systems were tested.

Tested means for you that you can slow down ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Again, somebody selling me something is going to tell me that their widget is perfect all the time no matter what. Do the heat dissipation properties of carbon work with metallic pads, which tend to put more head into the rotor? Do they not work with organic pads, which tend to put more heat into the brake system itself? Is there a pad that works best? Is there an optimized pad sold specifically for the rotors? I find it hard to believe that the same pads that ferrari sells for a steel rotor are the same for a carbon ceramic rotor.

And if you need somebody to tell you that your hydraulic system is compatible with a brake rotor, then you might be riding hopes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Andy, no sarcasm re: road bikes. Some of those guys love riding their brakes.

A while back a video was floating around of some roadie trying out disc brakes, and they failed on him on a descent due to overheating. Granted he was using some weird adapter thing to run mechanical levers with a hydraulic caliper, but they still failed as a direct result of heat.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Andy, no sarcasm re: road bikes. Some of those guys love riding their brakes.

A while back a video was floating around of some roadie trying out disc brakes, and they failed on him on a descent due to overheating. Granted he was using some weird adapter thing to run mechanical levers with a hydraulic caliper, but they still failed as a direct result of heat.
interesting! I can imagine some of the TDF descents heating up brakes but they seem to manage. I've actually wondered if rim brakes are better for that (or could be made better) as they have such a huge "rotor" to dissipate heat into.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I wonder how long will these last... I mean, I've seen a couple of weight weenies down here try the Ashima aluminium/ceramic rotors a few years ago, and they almost vanished into the air... I know it's not apples to apples, but I wonder how do they keep the carbon layers from being shred away by the pads...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm all for innovation and progressing technology, but I guess I'm a little surprised that newer generation Saints and Ice-tech rotors aren't enough for 99% of the DH market. Admittedly, I'm not coming down Mt. Psychosis, but I have previous gen Saints with 8" & 7" rotors, and fade/glazing has never been an issue for me. And trust me, if anyone uses their brakes excessively, it's me and my Octomom sized vagina...I'm practically doing trials moves on my DH runs.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'm all for innovation and progressing technology, but I guess I'm a little surprised that newer generation Saints and Ice-tech rotors aren't enough for 99% of the DH market. Admittedly, I'm not coming down Mt. Psychosis, but I have previous gen Saints with 8" & 7" rotors, and fade/glazing has never been an issue for me. And trust me, if anyone uses their brakes excessively, it's me and my Octomom sized vagina...I'm practically doing trials moves on my DH runs.
Clearly you haven't met me and my saints...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
interesting! I can imagine some of the TDF descents heating up brakes but they seem to manage. I've actually wondered if rim brakes are better for that (or could be made better) as they have such a huge "rotor" to dissipate heat into.
In that case roadies have had carbon "rotors" (ie, rims) for years now.

Considering roadies also spend upwards of $100 on brake pads for those carbon rims, this would be right up their ally...

SCARY

Not long enough
Octomom had a c-section.Pretty sure that thing is tight and snappy.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hey!...first off,...they were powdercoated not anodized.
2nd.I prefaced with "all too common" fashion statement of the whole,boring,all black thing that too many people think looks good.
3rd.$199 or below is NOT multiple hundreds of dollars.
Adding weight by powder coating an anodized part for looks negates any credibility you have for commenting on peoples stupid fashion sense sorry.