Quantcast

Carbon Gloves

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
What are your thoughts on them? I'm thinking about getting some, either the Special Ed Fortress or the BMW gloves. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they fit/feel while riding, etc.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Spend your money elsewhere....they don't last longer and I can count the number of times I have busted a knuckle while riding my MTB or MC since I was five on one finger. They tear just as easy as ony other glove....but if you want to drop a big chunk of change on gloves that serve no other purpose than to up the "coolness factor" (I am guilty of the same thing frpm time to time)

Go right ahead.

Spend <$20 and use the rest to buy a tire, or tubes, or.......

Rhino

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I have the BMW...the look super trick and fit quite nicely. They come up really far on the wrists for some pretty good support too. Don't be mistaken though...these are some burly gloves that are rather bulky. They have more padding than any other glove I have owned or seen for that matter. The only thing I don't like is some of the threading has already started to come undone...I think I need to learn how to sew...the main reason I bought them was I have gone through too many cheap pairs recently and thought if I shelled out the extra dough they might last a little longer....I only paid 35 bucks for them anyways...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Acadian
I dunno about that...I was constantly rippin' skin off my knuckles before I got my Oakley gloves. You should see them now, the knuckle cover is all scuffed. Once I forgot them and had to wear my 661's and guess what? Yup, clipped a tree in a crash and took chunks of skin off my knuckles.

I think they are worth it! I did try a pair of those new Specialized Fortress gloves but really didn't like the fit.
I thought that was from scrapping in the parking lot.

Seriously, you really do fall on your knuckles or hit them on things? I'm always ripping palms but not where the carbon gloves put the plastic.

I guess it's a matter of technique :p

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
well i have the specialized fortress gloves and i really do love them, the fit is so comfortable, the carbon fibre cups sit perfectly where they should and are not too think except for the body geo sections which personally dosnt really get in the way of feel, and all that padding dosnt restrickt movemant that much. they are very well ventilated as well so they keep nice and cool, this is also a downside for cold weather and to top it all off they look completly badass:D
they have saved my knuckles a few times recently, one thing that does let them down is the mesh between the fingers, it burst at the stitching on my middle finger after one crash but i repaired it and its been fine since.

i'd say that they are my fav glove yet.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I own the Dainese gloves and they are crap. I am very sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth. Everything else from Daines I have loved. I am not the only person to have the same issues withe the Dainese.

Carbon alternative: FOX makes a pair of MX gloves with plastic reinforced knuckle guards that also have vents. A friend of mine who MX's has a pair, and he said that the retail for less than the Sidewinder. He thought he paid $35 for tham at a MX store. I want a pair now!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I dunno about that...I was constantly rippin' skin off my knuckles before I got my Oakley gloves. You should see them now, the knuckle cover is all scuffed. Once I forgot them and had to wear my 661's and guess what? Yup, clipped a tree in a crash and took chunks of skin off my knuckles.

I think they are worth it! I did try a pair of those new Specialized Fortress gloves but really didn't like the fit.
Interesting I have never had issues with knuckles where I would need a carbon plate over them. I have seen MC rider some back with a nice cut the shap of the knuckle cover whenthey hit s tree hard. I always crushed my fingers between the levers and the bars on my MC. Even falling off of my bike raging across the desert did I think....I really need knuckle protection. Of course my feet were hitting the back of my head as I was rag dolling across the sage brush....so I didn't have my knuckles on my mind. :)

I think a lot of gloves just use spandex to make them more comfortable but a simple pad like is on fingers of gloves would do just as well most of the time. I had an ancient pair of Fox Pawtectors (circa like 1983) when I was little and they had a foam rubber pad over the knuckle that would work nice.

For road riding MC I can see some sort of plate/guard on all corner/points of the body if you were to fall off a bike. For Offroad a padded knuckle at a 1/4 of the price would work just as well.

Which 661 gloves do you have?

Rhino

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
See I have this bad tendency/habit of not letting go of the handlebars when I wash out in corners (which I tend to do alot)...and since I hold my handlebars almost at the edge, I scrape knuckles! Have you ever seen how hard the surface is at Sand Hill? It's like cement!

When DHing, not as often - but when I rode some of those narrow trails in Seattle and Van, I did manage to clip some trees!
I think your technique might be better. If I get the carbon gloves and never let go, I'll save the palms of my gloves and the endcaps/lock-ons of my grips. Plus I'm guessing torn up carbon knuckles on your gloves just looks tough.

Now if I can just keep the skin on my knees, I'll be golden.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I need carbon padded jerseys right there on the shoulder.
When I clip trees, I do it by laying my shoulder into a tree.
I keep seeming to lose the battle.
But I have never hit my knuckles for some reason.
I am going riding today after work though, I will see what I can do.;)
One time, on a 98 degree July day, I left my gloves at home.
I landed off of a small drop and my left hand throttle twisted on my grip from all the sweat, and I steered my fingers directly into a tree, all barehanded and stuff.
Turns out, Blood is just as slippery as sweat.
I have not forgotten my gloves since.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Bldr_Freerider
What are your thoughts on them? I'm thinking about getting some, either the Special Ed Fortress or the BMW gloves. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they fit/feel while riding, etc.
I just got the Specialized Fortress and I like them quite a bit - the carbon seems like some well-thought out protection, in some good spots - but what I like best about them is actually the gel insert on the lower heel of the palm - this is an area of my hand that I bruise ALL the time in falls (I know, "tuck & roll" blah blah blah - I'd say EVERYBODY puts out their hands once in a while) - that gel pack is going to prevent some pain I think....

the price at $55 didn't seem too crazy - a lot of the other carbon-knuckle gloves are up near $80 or so....

I'll use them for dirt jumping and freeriding - stuff where I'm likely to smack the back of my hand or put out a hand to stop myself (or do a sick handplant - yeah right ;) )

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have the Fortress gloves now and I use to run the BMW. The BMW were way to thick in the palms. I used them one ride and sold them to a buddy. I love the fortress glove. It is thin but has good padding in the palm and it breathes real well. Get the Fortress.

Plus I had a bad run in with BMW when they sent me the wrong sized gloves to begin with. but that is another story......

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
waitin for my new troy lee carbon ones to come in, the oak's didnt fit my hands very well and i couldnt run them due to sponsorship reasons

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i beat the p00p out of my Oakleys, and they saved my hand many a time.

this year i have some No Fear ones. i wont go back from carbon, they rock the house.

~SGD

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I'm all for carbon gloves. If you ever sprained your finger you would know that after. The thing with carbon gloves is you have to try them on. Mt first pair were the Daniese two finger carbon which fit great, A year or two later the BMW gloves came out and I bought them instantly but after one ride I realized that they were too bulky on the inner palm. I brought them back for the new Daniese four finger carbon ($15.00 more) but as the saying goes"They fit like a glove".

Your don't only get a great pair of gloves for that price it makes a great weapon if you ever have to fist fight anyone.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I have a pair of the Spec. Fortress gloves and a few times I've needed them. They worked great for when I hit the tree with my handlebar/right hand. It may be a little overkill, but they look awesome, with the carbon fiber plates. I love them

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
I've got a set of the Dainese technoracing cf gloves and i LOVE them. The specialized fortress palm area is too thin if u land on your palm once you'll get holes for sure.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
After a couple of more rides my BMW gloves are coming apart at the seams...I am gonna try and have the lbs send them back. It sucks because these gloves fit so damn good.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Freak is sporting some prototype Rockgardn gloves with carbon knuckles. They seem to work well.
I have never had a problem with knuckles...but I know we all have our 'commonly hit spots' on our body. Mine seems to be my toes on rocks. Maybe i need some carbon toed shoes? :D

D

Dingus McGee

string and needle bro... That is what I usually do with mine when they come apart..
That's the ticket, and may I suggest sewing with dental floss...it's strong as hell and goes through the fabric easily. Just don't use the flavored kind, I had ants all over my shorts once. Seriously.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast

I agree... last year I had the Dainese carbon gloves, and cracked the carbon in a baaaaddd fall. I really laugh when people ponder the cost of protective gear. How much is your body worth, and how much is that co-payment at the E.R.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My experience with the Dainese gloves. This is the only product that I have ever used from them that I would not give a 5star rating to. The thumb was always a little roomy, they stretched out more than a size, the colors ran when I got them wet, and the palms ended up wearing out. My old sidewinders held up better. The palm-heal pad is nice and they look good though.
I am now thinking of riding in Mechanix Wear gloves. I bought a set for my dad for Christmas. I have used them to fix my truck and they would be ideal for dh if you don't mind minimal protection on the back of your hand. The palm material is slightly thicker than a Sidewinder, but it fits in a way that gives you great feel. And they are only $20.

PS: Its been awhile since I have seen a pro/con thread like this last this long without degrading into a pissing contest! Good job!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
acadian im waiting for them to come in with my friends and my troy lee order so hopefully sometime soon. all the moto shops around here have them so u might wanna check their bro