Quantcast

Carbon V10

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
8.5" will feel good on their jump trail (less compression on jump faces) but 10" will feel better everywhere else. When I was there I just left it in 10" the whole time.
Real interesting man. So you think I might be better off in the 10" the whole time Im there? Itll be slacker in the lower travel setting without messing with the HA, but 10" would sure be nice in the rockier double blacks...

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ Thanks. This is gonna be my first 'real' big bike. Im quite interested how it is. I have to decide if I wanna leave it at 10 or 8.5 coz I dont wanna bring another spring to get the sag/feel I want. Im still going up maybe a couple more times this summer so I can play with the travel settings still. For sure in my local spot I dont need all 10"... I was fine with my 7" SXT at N* sans the gnar rocks of Karpiel and Sticks. Sorry Im just too stoked to give this carbon baby a go! :D

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Itll be slacker in the lower travel setting
when sagged in the same amount of shock stroke (~35%), both travel settings have the same HT angle.
The 8.5" setting is only slacker when nobody is on the bike, which is what a lot of the internet is interested in.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I'd also vote for the 10' mode, i have to say mine pedayls good enough and is as nimble as my previous demo 8 in the 10' mode but then it also just eats rough stuff. By buy a v10 if not for the 10' of travel, you know moar is better and 10 is moar then pretty much anyone else.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Appreciate the suggestions. Anothet question: What tires are you guys running and in what conditions you run em? Im gonna be riding with a Muddy Mary, B. Betty combo. Ive been on HR's for a good season the last, and a whole year on Butchers before the HR's. No complaints on those, this'll be my first time on Schwalbes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My only comment on tires is don't get fooled into using a slightly smaller size, like 2.5" Minions or 2.3/2.4 anything else. With 10" in back you'll start hitting stuff pretty hard and even with my 2.7" Minion tubeless with 33psi I occassionally dent the rear rim.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
My only comment on tires is don't get fooled into using a slightly smaller size, like 2.5" Minions or 2.3/2.4 anything else. With 10" in back you'll start hitting stuff pretty hard and even with my 2.7" Minion tubeless with 33psi I occassionally dent the rear rim.
I gotcha. Ill keep that in mind. Im thinking starting with 30/32 front back with the Schwalbes. Im normally 27/29 with HRs and Butchers.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Purely out of curiosity, how are these things holding up? ANy horror stories out there?

Just curious, cause CS has a great record with their carbon stuff.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Mine died in the beginning of july and i still havent seen any replacement parts. Frame was barely three months old with about 4 days of park riding and maybe 3 hours of actual ride time at home. It was the front axel in the lower link that snapped at the frame bearing interface, leaving the entire threaded part left inside the frame, due to it happening during a run it had time to damaged the lower link as well.

The nordic importer was even reluctant to warranty it. So even by paying roughly 4400 usd at the exchange rate at the time i payed i have not been able to ride it for the past month and it does not seem like i will be able to get the parts any time soon. One would think that some of the money would go to customer service but apparently it does not. But it sure does make a good wall ornament..........It is safe to say i will not be buying anything from SC in the future.

Otherwise it felt superb when it worked, but having the all to short riding season cut even shorter is irritating to say the least and for the importer not to stand behind its products does not feel confidence inspiring.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Mine died in the beginning of july and i still havent seen any replacement parts. Frame was barely three months old with about 4 days of park riding and maybe 3 hours of actual ride time at home. It was the front axel in the lower link that snapped at the frame bearing interface, leaving the entire threaded part left inside the frame, due to it happening during a run it had time to damaged the lower link as well.

The nordic importer was even reluctant to warranty it. So even by paying roughly 4400 usd at the exchange rate at the time i payed i have not been able to ride it for the past month and it does not seem like i will be able to get the parts any time soon. One would think that some of the money would go to customer service but apparently it does not. But it sure does make a good wall ornament..........It is safe to say i will not be buying anything from SC in the future.

Otherwise it felt superb when it worked, but having the all to short riding season cut even shorter is irritating to say the least and for the importer not to stand behind its products does not feel confidence inspiring.
I think you're getting screwed by the importer. I bet if you were in the US and brought the bike back to the dealer where you bought it all would be taken care of within a week or two. That's just part of the deal when buying a foreign part through an importer, you have a middle man to deal with. Maybe contact Santa Cruz directly and explain the situation.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
second that, it is weird so many us companies choose ****ty distributors in europe.

in germany the example for ****ty customer service is the Fox Suspension distributor... it is such a pain in the ass and really a shame because the us or canada their service is pretty good...

mine is held up well. no pivot rebuilds yet, i just use a grease gun to push out old grease with new and thats about it. the downtube protector has worked well. a few chips on the underside of the BB area at the edges where the protect doesn't extend to. the clear coat does scratch easily. i put my knee against the top tube sometimes when i'm muscling the bike around or cornering and there are scratches from that.

i wished they would release the full carbon rear swingarm to the masses.

after this frame is done, i'll be getting another one...unless intense comes out with a carbon m9 ;)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I was just at a major race and overheard someone say (confidently) that the carbon swingarm will be available next year. Seemed more like rumor than fact but gets my hopes up. That and carbon rims would drop a nice amount of unsprung weight.

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
According to my rep at Santa Cruz it will probably be the 2014 model year before they release the carbon swing arm to the public. So maybe late 2013? However he said it will not be sold as just an upgrade. You would have to get a whole new frame. Hopefully that changes. I'd rather not spend the money on a whole new frame if mine is still in good shape when the time comes.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Makes sense. The front triangles the Syndicate are using now are the newer, lighter ones. Wonder how much the frameset would be with the Enve rear tri...

joeg

Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Hi Evil JN,
sorry to hear about issues with your V10, that blows.
I'm also sorry to hear that you are having issues with your distributor, especially if they sold you the bike...

I will get you links and whatever hardware to have your bike running before next weekend if you PM me, or email me directly, you can send the inquiry to tech AT santacruzbicycles dot com, and just put "send this to joe" in there somewhere, and I'll get it.

If you have a broken axle end stuck in the frame, it should be easily extracted, there's a hole in it to jam something in, and it should spin out. I'll get you new everything else. I even have some gold and red anodized links made for the team on the shelf in my office if you want something other than basic black to help the bad taste you've gotten thus far.

Sorry again man! Put that email in your address book and use it when you need something, we respond same day to all inquiries that don't involve gland enlargement

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Hi Evil JN,
I'm also sorry to hear that you are having issues with your distributor, especially if they sold you the bike...

I will get you links and whatever hardware to have your bike running before next weekend if you PM me, or email me directly, you can send the inquiry to tech AT santacruzbicycles dot com, and just put "send this to joe" in there somewhere, and I'll get it.

If you have a broken axle end stuck in the frame, it should be easily extracted, there's a hole in it to jam something in, and it should spin out. I'll get you new everything else. I even have some gold and red anodized links made for the team on the shelf in my office if you want something other than basic black to help the bad taste you've gotten thus far.

Sorry again man! Put that email in your address book and use it when you need something, we respond same day to all inquiries that don't involve gland enlargement
How much sexy time do I have to give to get you guys to make a Nomad with a Pinion gearbox. I want your carbonz and your service.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Hi Evil JN,

This is good service. If I was to buy a carbon frame it would be from Santa Cruz.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Well after Joe's rescue i have to withdraw any comments about SC direct customer service. Just goes to show that living in Europe does suck on all accounts.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Meh, cars you can import, architecture you can look at photos of. Girls though, that is maybe one thing do get done right on this side of the pond. However i suspect that is also one of those "the grass is always greener on the other side of the hedge"

Then of course there is the music but then again, isnt that what we have the interwebz for.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
Nothing but good things to say about SC, best bikes a great customer service even for us who live outside US

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Rode a V10c for the 1st time last Monday and was really impressed. Current ride is a 2011 Session. The V10 was incredibly poppy and agile for being such a big travel bike. Felt comfortable on the bike after our 2nd lap. Props to SC!

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Hey guys, anyone know the exact torque spec for the seat collar? Just wanted to be sure. I looked up the spec for the shock mount of the front tri (which is 140 in-lbs), just need the one for the seat collar/clamp. Cheers!

joeg

Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
EVIL JN - did you get your parts? I PMed you, but nothing ever shows up in the sent messages thing when I click it.

boylagz:
there is no specified torque for the seat collar

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
boylagz:
really? you need a spec for the seat collar? If we specified a torque and it wasn't right for somebody there would be looting (bitching) and rioting (whinging) in the streets (forums). Since there are lots of different seatposts with different surface finishes and materials and diameters, you'll have to use your best judgement.
I often joke that the spec is to tighten it til it strips, then back off a quarter turn, but in this case you want to make it tight enough that it works, and not a lot tighter than that. I cut my post so it sits at the bottom of the tube, so it can't go any lower. All the collar does is keep it from spinning
I just wanted to know if ever there's a specific torque for it. If there is none specified then just say there's none.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Joeg: Yes, got them yesterday. I am super thankful for your help, i think it is super cool that people from the actual company goes out of their way and help individual customers, i cant think of many other industries that would happen.