Quantcast

cardio/fat loss question...

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
I plan on buying a book soon but...

I purchased a HRM for riding my stationary bike. After going through its setup it would like to keep me between 120 something to 160. When I keep it at this level it doesn't seem like its very hard so I have been doing 165-180ish trying to do at least 10 minutes 175 to 180 for a total of at least 40 minutes normally 50. I am 32, 5'8", and 160-165 pounds(don't own a scale)

I wish to lose body fat and get into better shape. Is doing 165-180 good for this? From reading other posts I think so but I have read where too much intensity can cause muscle loss instead of fat loss so I would like to avoid that if possible. I am performing some basic resistance training and ab work on the same day as the cardio.(cardio after the weights)

Also does it matter how I keep my heart rate up? I can either spin faster or increase the resistance to keep my heart rate up.

I also have noticed that after about 10 minutes of cardio I need to increase the intensity a little to keep my heart rate up. This normal?

Thanks

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, check that link out and then let us know if you still have questions.

After 10 minutes you probably have to increase the intensity because you are warmed up. That's normal.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
It depends on your height, weight, physical condition, and what your goals are.

For me, being 20 years old, 5' 10" and 175lbs, I'm supposed to keep my HR from 130-140 if I want to burn fat. Anything above that will pretty much catabalize my muscle growth.

I don't know your specifics.. but I'd definitely lower your HR. You just have to workout for longer. Trust me, 45-50 minutes at 130-140 BPM, and you'll be getting tired.

Make sure to drink plenty of water, and stay hydrated as well.

Also, just as an FYI: Building muscle burns fat too ;) For every 5 pounds of muscle you have, your body will burn 500 calories a day to maintain that muscle. (hence why I eat so damned much). So, if you build 5 pounds of muscle, you'll eventually start losing more fat because your body is trying to feed what needs to be fed: your muscles.

There's a fine line, and stomach fat will always be the hardest to get rid of. I cannot stress how important your DIET is for this region. You'll ONLY lose your "gut" if you eat CLEAN, healthy, 6-8 meals a day, and NO FRICKEN FAST FOOD.

Don't get foods with HFCS, Modified starches, preservatives, etc. Basically, steer clear of all processed foods if possible.

DON'T eat white bread, and don't add sugar & salt to everything you eat. You get plenty of sugar through natural eating.

Hope that helps.

-Matt

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yup...for weight loss, I'd drop the intensity some & do 60 minutes

I'm the opposite, it takes me a good 10 minutes fo my heart rate to get up to say 150 or so.

It shouldn't matter how you keep you HR up.

and I agree - it doent matter much if you are eating crappy food