Quantcast

Carry while riding.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I ride at night typically alone... now in past years this hasn't been a problem because there have been tons of people at the trailhead when I set out or return from a ride. But for some reason I have been completely alone for weeks now.

Last week there was a bunch of shady dudes out there just hanging around and it made me pretty nervous. Especially because they were all watching me pretty closely.

Ever since I've been seriously considering Riding with a gun when I'm alone like that. Am I nuts? Does anyone else do this? How do you secure the firearm for possible wrecks etc yet still keep it accessible? If I do this I'm going to have to get a more compact pistol though. Mine, though it is 'technically' a compact pistol, is still on the larger side.

I have, with a full sized stainless automatic, just strapped the holster on with a belt, round in the chamber, de-cocked. Didn't have any real reason to do it, other than as an experiment. Kind of hard to carry on a bike without being overt, which in a sense makes you a challenging target to idiots.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
BTW, the best solution to this is not to ride at 7:00. But that's all I can do... if I want to ride I have to ride these trails and I have do do it later than I'd like because of work and location.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I ridden in some of the worst neighborhoods in the country, and I have never needed a gun.

I'm a moving target so it is unlikely someone is going to catch me. Even if they were to surprise me and knock me off my bike, how am I going to take a gun out?

And most importantly, one thing I have noticed is that if you are on a bicycle, people assume you are broke because if you are riding, that means you do not have a car. I've ridden a $7000 ti bike in full kit and no hoodlum has said a word.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Just out of curiosity, what exactly were these guys doing that was "shady"?
Dude, it's the middle of nowhere at night and I was one guy in spandex with several thuggish dudes just silently standing there across the lot staring at me while I break down and load my sh!t.

I cant say for sure they were up to anything. But that's not the point... if they wanted to jack my car, bike, wallet, etc... I'd have been an easy target.

I know there are stolen cars dumped there regularly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thuggish? that's one of those words where the definition differs based on who you ask. Someone from Orange county will have a different definition from someone Brooklyn who will have a different definition from someone from Oklahoma.

Or just don't wear spandex. Ride in Fubu.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Golgi...... Search this topic a bit, youll find more thana f ew threads about it.

I will repeat what I say in all of them.... If your not trained........ DONT CARRY. If your considering carrying a gun, you best be prepared to kill. Thats the bottom line, you ned to be ok with taking someones life if you are indeed going to be using it for defense.

If you are indeed set on this coarse of action, then start with aproper training coarse, get certified, get licensed. Otherwize all your asking for is more trouble by carrying if you are not good at using it. Worst thing you can do is to pull a gun, and hesitate, be it from nerves, or you jsut wanted to scare them..... if you pull it, you need to be ready to use it right away.

Remember 22feet. thats how far away they need to be for you to draw your gun, and be able to use it. Inside of that, you lose with the gun, they will have time to charge you before you can draw and fire< not talking quick draw holsters or anything of that nature> So if they are coming at you, you had better make a decision before they get that close.

Now to answer the original question, Yes I carry when I ride, only when I am riding the local mountains, but it isnt for people, its for the wildlife we have. We have quite the population of big cats, and bears in our locals. I am also licensed, and trained.

In all seriousness, if yournot trained, go get a handheld tazer. They are leagal, non lethal<less lethal for those that want to be technical> easy to use, and effective.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I will repeat what I say in all of them... Cats
Thanks for that. But my head is fine. I was taught to shoot and respect firearms by a very wise, well educated person (RIP). I have had my CC permit for quite some time. Just never ridden with a firearm before.

BTW we have cats too, hadn't thought about it for that. You must have it VERY accessible.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you're serious and have the proper permits to carry, talk to MikeD, he has photos of himself riding with a holster, and he may have advice on what to use.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Golgi...... Search this topic a bit, youll find more thana f ew threads about it.

I will repeat what I say in all of them.... If your not trained........ DONT CARRY. If your considering carrying a gun, you best be prepared to kill. Thats the bottom line, you ned to be ok with taking someones life if you are indeed going to be using it for defense.

If you are indeed set on this coarse of action, then start with aproper training coarse, get certified, get licensed. Otherwize all your asking for is more trouble by carrying if you are not good at using it. Worst thing you can do is to pull a gun, and hesitate, be it from nerves, or you jsut wanted to scare them..... if you pull it, you need to be ready to use it right away.

Remember 22feet. thats how far away they need to be for you to draw your gun, and be able to use it. Inside of that, you lose with the gun, they will have time to charge you before you can draw and fire< not talking quick draw holsters or anything of that nature> So if they are coming at you, you had better make a decision before they get that close.

Now to answer the original question, Yes I carry when I ride, only when I am riding the local mountains, but it isnt for people, its for the wildlife we have. We have quite the population of big cats, and bears in our locals. I am also licensed, and trained.

In all seriousness, if yournot trained, go get a handheld tazer. They are leagal, non lethal<less lethal for those that want to be technical> easy to use, and effective.
I Totally agree.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
if you're serious and have the proper permits to carry, talk to MikeD, he has photos of himself riding with a holster, and he may have advice on what to use.
I do? Where?

Best advice I can give is avoid sketchy places and people, first and foremost, especially when you're alone.

Next best advice is that a 3-4 oz pepper spray fits nicely in a cargo pocket.

Last advice is that if I were to ride with a gun, I'd most likely use either the purpose-made camelbaks (Demon or Goblin models, now discontinued AFAIK, from the mil/law enforcement line-never had one but you can supposedly draw single-handed out of the bottom as you wear it), or a standard holster fanny pack worn backwards under my camelbak (not ideal; more of a method of transport than one of carry). There are a variety of chest rigs (survival sheath and the like) but carrying over my sternum on a bike.... :eek:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Is that not a holster of some kind? Guess it could be pepper spray. Apologies if I'm way off, I just thought that was the deal.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's a cannon, alright. Canon S70...megapixels in lethal amounts! Just a digicam in a pouch on my Camelbak strap.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I wasn't being coy if that's what the "fair enough" is about...carrying in that position would be pretty overt, and I don't recommend that. And that pouch is way too small to fit a SIG 229...

Fanny pack is the only way I've ever done it. Keeps it safe and covered and hidden from view under all circumstances. Just worn it over the small of my back b/c mine is too big and square to wear in front while riding anything other than a flat bike path.

Or, possibly, my last idea is to use one of the Maxpedition bags, probably a Gearslinger, rigged with a hydration bladder and CCW setup.

I've known a guy who put a handgun in his camelback loose without a round in the chamber, but that didn't strike me as particularly useful.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wasn't being coy if that's what the "fair enough" is about...carrying in that position would be pretty overt, and I don't recommend that. And that pouch is way too small to fit a SIG 229...

Fanny pack is the only way I've ever done it. Keeps it safe and covered and hidden from view under all circumstances. Just worn it over the small of my back b/c mine is too big and square to wear in front while riding anything other than a flat bike path.

Or, possibly, my last idea is to use one of the Maxpedition bags, probably a Gearslinger, rigged with a hydration bladder and CCW setup.

I've known a guy who put a handgun in his camelback loose without a round in the chamber, but that didn't strike me as particularly useful.
...and I wasn't being a dick. If it was a camera, then it wasn't a holster, and that's pretty much the end of story. I thought it was a pistol, and it wasn't clear from the original post whether it was or not...but it is now.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought you thought that I was being coy about you being coy about the thing on my camelbak that wasn't a holster but looks like one and the whole thing got confusimacated.

And remember, iocane powder comes from Australia, which as everyone knows, is wholly peopled by thieves!

nate_vt

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
check out a company called 5.11, they make a short of "under armor" type spandex shirt that also has an underarm holster. The real Under Armor might also make something like that to in their tactical line. Check out lapolicegear.com, they have all kind of CC stuff and QD holsters for reasonable prices! hope this helps!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I must be bored if I am going to chime in, but what about a fanny pack holster? Seems perfect for a mountain biker, and you can even keep your clif bars in where the magazines are supposed to go.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was thinking about the compression shirt holsters the other day for this purpose. Doesn't seem like the worst idea, if you're the type who can/does wear an UnderArmour shirt under a jersey. Of course, you couldn't draw from them if you don't have a zip-front jersey...more of a method of transport than "carry" per se.

Undercover Comfort makes a better one than 5.11 per reports from those who use them; I don't, myself.

I ordered the Undercover Comfort bellyband thing which I thought would be great for athletic stuff, (carries a radio, too) but they said the product wasn't available, alas.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I must be bored if I am going to chime in, but what about a fanny pack holster? Seems perfect for a mountain biker, and you can even keep your clif bars in where the magazines are supposed to go.
It's what I use when I do.

nate_vt

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
yeah right after I posted that I thought about that same problem. Cuz it'd look awful strange if you were riding around in just a skin tight shirt with a gun shaped buldge under your arm. just got a very strange image in my head...haha. :weee:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
look at it in the point of view of the "thugs" they are in a group if they really want to get you they will.

be in charge, confident people like that prey on the weak. get on your bike ride by they say hey

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
Just be safe, you don't need an AD while you're busy in the middle of a faceplant, carry a knife. I love my S&W Special Ops simply cuz (besides the blade, of course) the sheath has a strap system to accomodate wherever you strap it. belt, camelback, fvckin handlebars if it's easiest. just get some 550 cord and your in business.