Quantcast

Cash for Clunkers is dumb

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Anything that creates false demand is, in the end, bad for the economy.

Sure... you're spreading the debt of many over a larger group of everyone, but it still does no good. It's not my fault that the government is so broke because crooked politicians want to save a dying GM, or bail out a bunch of banks. Where was the government when all of the high tech companies went belly up in the late 90's/early 2000's? Nowhere to be found, because the high-tech companies are more savvy, and can see that meddling in government only gets you deeper into legal troubles down the road and makes you look like a douche (aka flying your private jet to congress to ask them for bailout money ring a bell).

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah. Do you recall the 70's oil embargo?

People are dumb.

:monkey:
I dont follow your logic.

1970s vs 1990
embargo ended
1990 fuel prices
Family buys a family car

Keeping that clunker for 20 years may have been a stupid decision. but not purchasing it during the 90s in my book.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I dont follow your logic.

1970s vs 1990
embargo ended
1990 fuel prices
Family buys a family car

Keeping that clunker for 20 years may have been a stupid decision. but not purchasing it during the 90s in my book.
I'm pointing out that people for some reason think since gas is $1/gal today it will be $1/gal tomorrow. When it could go to $5/gal tomorrow...

And there were PLENTY of "family" cars that got better than 6mpg in 1990. :rolleyes:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well it looks like they "found" another $2bil to keep the program running a little longer until Oscama can steal money from some other "important" category

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
A local Co-worker of mine had a ****beaten mini van, cant be worth more than 1000, he is getting his 4500 off to buy a new honda element. He would have never got the honda if he didnt get a ton of money for his minivan

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Hmm, looks like the administrations estimates for this program were spot on...can't wait for health care reform. Total crap idea IMO, why should the general public pay for people to get new cars? It's not free money, it's tax payers money. The president was preaching responsibility during the housing crisis but now comes up with a program to entice people into debt once again...don't believe it?; How many people do you know who had no intention of buying a new car (and probably don't need the increased debt) are now considering it. Unbelievable.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The engines get poor gas mileage so they need to be destroyed before they can harm the environment anymore.

The best part you can a trade a truck in for a new one that gets.....wait for it.....its big.....a whole 2mpg better and receive $3500. Seems totally worth trading in the old truck and letting it get "recycled". This just does not seem like a very environmentally friendly thing to do.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Am i missing something, but how good is smoking all those engines for the environment?
its a last time thing for them.

they are doing it so they cant sell the engines from the vehicles and seizing the engines like that will def prevent that

its too bad the dealers are getting fvcked by the IRS since the rebate voucher to them is taxable....way to go Oscama

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
its too bad the dealers are getting fvcked by the IRS since the rebate voucher to them is taxable....way to go Oscama
the dealers are getting paid for the vehicles that they sell. if the customer paid the full price it'd be all taxable. that the govt is kicking in $3500 or $4500 shouldn't make it non-taxable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The best part you can a trade a truck in for a new one that gets.....wait for it.....its big.....a whole 2mpg better and receive $3500. Seems totally worth trading in the old truck and letting it get "recycled". This just does not seem like a very environmentally friendly thing to do.
at the low end of the scale 2 mpg makes a difference. mpg vs. gpm.

http://www.mpgillusion.com/2009/02/overveiw-of-gpm.html

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I'm surprised there's no "must buy domestic" clause.
It should have a "buy domestically built". So a honda built in ohio would be covered, but a ford built in canada or a chevy built in mexico would not be covered.

When they bailed the auto companies out I didn't understand why the governement didn't just put in a big ass order for new cars to replace older ones in the fleet.

That would have ensured that the assembly lines keep running. Just giving them cash doesn't ensure that jobs continue.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Hmm, looks like the administrations estimates for this program were spot on...can't wait for health care reform.
Your logic is astounding. Way to go, comparing apples and carburetors.

The only thing those two programs have in common is that there is taxpayer money involved. By your (and by your, I mean your Fox news talking point) logic, we shouldn't let the gubmint run any national programs, like the military.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

The only thing those two programs have in common is that there is taxpayer money involved. By your (and by your, I mean your Fox news talking point) logic, we shouldn't let the gubmint run any national programs, like the military.
:headbang:

apples and carburetors do sound tempting tho

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:

1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

6 out of 10 = teh awesome!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd like to see what brands those Top 10 are being traded for. If they're Fords, it is a win.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Retaining customers/brand loyalty is never a bad thing.
But trading one POS for another POS is a bad use of funds. Maybe there will be another round of CARS so people can unload the Focus when the wheels fall off in 4 years.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I've heard good things about the Focus and Ford's recent rise in quality.
Previously, they've had one of the least efficient 6cyl engines, which is why most of their old models qualify, but they've been turning it around, and if one Merikin car company is going to come out on top, it will most likely be Ford.
I'm keeping my eye on them.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha

No, I did not say the government was incapable of running national programs. I think we need more government intervention and that they have done a fine job with most. Look at the bail out plan so far...fantastic everthing is fixed, social security is also a fine example of a well oiled machine, medicare..no issues with that, public school involvement such as no child left behind..so far so good, and yes the military is another efficient model of budget and spending as most of the "projects", whether it be development of weapons or confllicts, have fallen within budget predictions.

Do I need to add smileys so you can comprehend and read between the lines?

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
No, I did not say the government was incapable of running national programs. I think we need more government intervention and that they have done a fine job with most. Look at the bail out plan so far...fantastic everthing is fixed, social security is also a fine example of a well oiled machine, medicare..no issues with that, public school involvement such as no child left behind..so far so good, and yes the military is another efficient model of budget and spending as most of the "projects", whether it be development of weapons or confllicts, have fallen within budget predictions.

Do I need to add smileys so you can comprehend and read between the lines?
Only if you have a Glen Beck smiley. It could be :selfcontradiction:

Last edited: