Quantcast

cassette

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
To install no, to remove yes, you need the splined tool to tighten and loosen the cassette.
The hub doesnt have a cassette on it now. So i just need to put the one i got on there. Your saying that there is a tool i need to do that though?!?

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
yeah, you need the splined tool that is used to tighten down the lockring....or you can use my whitetrash poor college student method. tighten the lock ring by hand and then use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to tighten it down the rest of the way.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
The cassette tool to tighten the lockring is about $10, that and a decent sized adjustable wrench is all you need to install the cassette. To remove it, you will also need a chainwhip or other device to hold the cogs while you loosen the lockring.

Spline tool is PARK part# FR-5

take a look here for

details.http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by downhil
yeah, you need the splined tool that is used to tighten down the lockring....or you can use my whitetrash poor college student method. tighten the lock ring by hand and then use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to tighten it down the rest of the way.
Thats a scary method, on the trail its one thing, but other than that not good. I'd go to the LBS for 30 seconds.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by downhil
:eek: Ouch! I think my lock ring just ran away and hid!:D Seriously, I've used my chain whip / lockring remover more than I ever expected to when I got them. Its a worth while investment. I've since built up two sets of wheels for differnt riding, and switching them into the drive train is a snap...er, a whip! (bad, I know:rolleyes: !)