Quantcast

Castles in the sky, Daves impending disastrous house build thread

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Make a change to the plan today, I canceled the strandboard overlay flooring, and just ordered $6k of Beech flooring.
The chipboard would irritate the shit out of me in sub 6 months, and be impossible to easily replace later on.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a high quality timber.... totally puts me over budget, but I think it's one place that I can't cheap out on.

I wanted the wider 105x10mm planks but I missed out on the next production run, so those won't be available for nearly 2 months.
The 85x10mm are about 3 weeks out, and that's as much of a delay as I can handle at this stage.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hey Dave, did you ever answer my question many pages back for why this is on stilts in the first place? because I still do not know

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
My apologies Toshi!
a few reasons;
1/ instant garage, no need to build one now.
2/ I retain vehicular access to the back of the property being able to drive thru under the building.
3/ Space for a woodworking workshop, I plan to get back into wood carving & wood work.
4/ the height gives me better view (and sun) over the tops of the trees and simultaneously blocks views to and from the road. So privacy, views and sun in one.
5/ Design ascetics, viewed from the rear garden, the building looks like it's floating (Castles in the sky yo), it's very cool to see but hard to tell at the moment in pics due to the scaffolding.

*edit*
longer term I plan to have clear seethru walls either side so it will also be like a mini glasshouse down there other than the roller doors either end, so there will be plants/vege's/herb down there as I have a 9m long by 5m wide by 4.7m high space to play with under the house.