Quantcast

Cataloochee bike park

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
Hey guys! there has been some talk about the Cataloochee ski place allowing a lift assisted bike park. I just want to see how many of you guys would favor it, and what you all would want to see, trail and feature wise, if this were to happen. Im not making promises, just gauging the amount of support for it.:thumb:

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
Here's my 2 cents:
I would like to see more of a bike park. Like the Ballhooter side of Snowshoe with drops, elevated features, wall rides, and wooden jumps. Some good flow trails like the famous a-line with high speeds and dirt jumps. Just seems like there is nothing like this south of Snowshoe.

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
im in the same boat. i think a nice A-line style trail would be nice and draw a solid number of people. thanks for the input!

Jan 12, 2009
I'm in total support of a mountain bike park over in cataloochee. Although it is a bit far from me (winston-salem), it would sure beat having the drive to Snowshoe.

After I heard that 26 West closed I was pretty bummed out about no lift assisted bike park here in NC. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people in saying that I'm in total support of another place to legally ride with the bonus of having a lift to get you to the top.

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people in saying that I'm in total support of another place to legally ride with the bonus of having a lift to get you to the top.[/QUOTE said:
Excellent! make sure the post up here. the more people we get on here the better the chances

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ha, the one time I went and raced there, they ran us at 40mph through a cow pasture with high wet grass. It was foggy as hell, and all they had for course markers was 12 inch high orange flags. I remember in my race being pinned out on a hardtail with v brakes. I couldn't even slow down. I lost the orange markers and about that time I heard................
Mmmooooooooooooooooooo!
Dodging cows at 40 mph.
That is the kind of trails I want.:rofl:

But yeah, that place is close enough for me to support it for sure, especially if a lift is involved.

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
as far as land size, thats one thing we are looking in to, from what i can gather there is enough to have 3-4 trails, right now. were just gauging support for it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
what's the status of the massive unused slope that never gets used in winter? It's usually a pasture in the summer (the one Jeremy refers to) and the best place to have a lot of trail.

Let me know if you need a trail designer.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
If they want to do the bike park right they need to have a dedicated (paid) trail crew to construct and maintain their trails. The resorts in our area don't have the tons of usable acreage so each trail must be built well with allot of features (berms, rock gardens, jumps, rollers etc) to keep people satisfied and having fun. This is crucial because there's no way any of our resorts could have as many trails as snowshoe so we've got to get quality over quantity. The trail crew is also key. You can't have a one man show and expect pimp trails to get built. You also can't have an unpaid trail crew and expect pimp trails to get built. Building fun, fast, and SAFE trails on a bike park scale takes allot of man hours. Too much time for the crew to commit if they aren't getting due monetary compensation. If the trails are bada**, the lift is running, and marketing is done correctly then there's no reason this area couldn't support a bike park (or multiple, but that's just in my dreams:think:).

Well thats my two cents. Hope it helps and I do support downhill biking at the Cat:thumb:

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
i go to the looch snowboarding cuz they have the closest terrain park,,2.5 hours,, better than 4 hours to beech or sugar, im down!!!! after my shoulder heals.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I did a race there BACK in the day. Same one Jeremy went. Cataloochie is only an hour from Knoxville area so I'd support it. But you'd need a couple good trails that are maintained with high fun factor. Maybe even run a race to gauge interest.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I would totally support this. Learn from others' mistakes: you NEED to have a variety of trails. Tech, jump, etc. And they need to be well maintained.

If you really want it to succeed and be a destination-oriented bike park, I would talk to these guys: http://www.whistlergravitylogic.com/.
who will say immediately that unless you have a high speed quad, you will not succeed mathematically. But if we believe everything we're told....

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
who will say immediately that unless you have a high speed quad, you will not succeed mathematically. But if we believe everything we're told....
Well they're probably right then. Think about it - a bike park/ski resort will be successful depending on capacity. That's why Sugar will NEVER work for a bike park (I can't believe people go there in the Winter either).

You could have something half ass like that but if you want a sustainable business, talk to those guys. Plain and simple - when experts are available, tap into their knowledge to become more successful. This applies in all facets of life.

NCrider5

Chimp
Jul 9, 2008
Asheville NC
I think its safe to say that asking a question like "Would anyone be interested in a lift assisted bike Park in NC?" is a dumb one. Of course we would. But talking about it is not going to make it happen. Grab a shovel and go at it.

And to those that are saying "oh yeah that would be sweet! just make sure you have a lot of flow and jumps on the trails" Keep in mind the amount of work it takes to build such a thing. If you want this to happen, then you will need to do more than just say you will support it.

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
I think its safe to say that asking a question like "Would anyone be interested in a lift assisted bike Park in NC?" is a dumb one. Of course we would. But talking about it is not going to make it happen. Grab a shovel and go at it.

And to those that are saying "oh yeah that would be sweet! just make sure you have a lot of flow and jumps on the trails" Keep in mind the amount of work it takes to build such a thing. If you want this to happen, then you will need to do more than just say you will support it.
I understand what you're saying. but just sneaking in and building is a sure fire way to get it to not happen. One of the fellow people in this is the owner of bryson city bicycles, a kona dealer. apparently if we show enough support, and it gets approved kona will help greatly with the trail building. im going to talk to him and get him on here to help clear up some questions i have yet to know the answers to.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

...Building trails takes work???

Nevermind, I'm out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I understand what you're saying. but just sneaking in and building is a sure fire way to get it to not happen. One of the fellow people in this is the owner of bryson city bicycles, a kona dealer. apparently if we show enough support, and it gets approved kona will help greatly with the trail building. im going to talk to him and get him on here to help clear up some questions i have yet to know the answers to.

That is some good info, and it would be great to get a bike company involved.
I have to admit though, after many years in the game, I am OVER the whole
"grab a shovel and go at it" deal when it comes to building free trails for ski resorts. I have built my share of free courses for ski resorts over the years and have good friends who do it as well, but without a financial commitment from the resort itself, they will never succeed as a bike park.
Look as the success of some place like Diablo where they have a organized trail crew. That is how you run a successful bike park.
If Cataloochee wants a bike park that will turn a profit, they need to hire proper trailbuilders, invest in running the lift for sure, and approach it just like running any other business. No Brah shovel days.
I will support the park by showing up and paying for my lift ticket and plopping my butt down on the chairlift.
I don't show up at Disney to help them build free roller coasters. They let me ride them when I pay my admission free.
If should be no different for a bike park.

Last edited:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I came to the conversation late, but I just wanted to add my support. If you build a good bike park at Cattaloochee, I'll buy a season pass. I'm in.

M41fuNcT10n

Chimp
Jan 27, 2009
I'd drive from 30 miles west of knoxville to ride at a "real" bike park that close to home. Something quality like snowshoe, but obviously on a smaller scale. Windrock is 15 min. from the house, but having some diversity in DH riding would be great, as I have never been to snowshoe, but will eventually, however distance will make it a rarity in terms of frequency.

OldSkool

Chimp
Nov 4, 2009
Fletcher NC
Ha, the one time I went and raced there, they ran us at 40mph through a cow pasture with high wet grass. It was foggy as hell, and all they had for course markers was 12 inch high orange flags. I remember in my race being pinned out on a hardtail with v brakes. I couldn't even slow down. I lost the orange markers and about that time I heard................
Mmmooooooooooooooooooo!
Dodging cows at 40 mph.
That is the kind of trails I want.:rofl:

But yeah, that place is close enough for me to support it for sure, especially if a lift is involved.
I did that same race as well. Cows move pretty fast when you're heading straight for them with a blood curdling scream:D. Anyway, I would also support lift supported trails at Cataloochee. I always thought it is a great mountain and wished something had been created there for bikes. The fact that it is less than 2 hrs away helps also.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I did that same race as well. Cows move pretty fast when you're heading straight for them with a blood curdling scream:D. Anyway, I would also support lift supported trails at Cataloochee. I always thought it is a great mountain and wished something had been created there for bikes. The fact that it is less than 2 hrs away helps also.
You guys forget the funniest part. The cows thought the orange survey flags in the ground were electric fence. Depending on what side of them they were standing, they lined up along it to watch us.

I'm pretty sure we all fell victim to the Scott McClain/Hal Sumpter/Eric Buck rule of racing "if it ain't taped, it's track" :rofl:

That weekend I raced the DH and slalom on Saturday in a blinding fog and Sunday raced the XC in ankle deep mud. Such an awesome weekend.:weee:

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
I know that its winter now but was there ever any progress with this? Any Kona research or approval or whatever