Quantcast

Catholic vs. Christian

Jun 30, 2007
I'm catholic,but I've been to christain churches many times because my mother is christain.I hardly see a difference between the two religions.Only thing is that catholics recognize Mary more,and we wear a rosary.I feel that if I were to have children someday or my sisters decided that christain was the religion for them,I wouldn't have a problems with it.I feel that they are basically the same thing.People make such big deals out of the smallest things.I take it as christains think that catholics worship Mary.I don't worship Mary,I recognize her as the virgin mother of Jesus,I sort of look up to her.But I love God with all my heart,no one comes before him.What I'm getting at is can't we get over these small differenes? We have the same rules,same wrong and rights.We are the same.
A catholic saying a christains beliefs are wrong,or a christain saying a catholics beliefs are wrong is like the pot calling the kettle black.lol

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It was always my understanding that Matthew and John were the only apostles, Mark and Luke were not part of the 12.
Mark was dictated by Peter to Mark. and Luke was the only non-apostle but spent a lot of time with them and did many eye-witness accounts as he states in the opening of his book. He was a physician and very into the facts when gathering evidence for his account of Jesus. Remember, these people didn't know what they were writing-in terms of what it became to us as we know it-they were writing history. As for the difference between catholics and christians-the church history explains a lot of how the two split-Martin Luther was the agent of change and it primarily happened because of the perversion that was going down and the lack of truth being shared with the non-literate people. Luther declared the Justification by faith and denounced the teachings of the catholic church that heavily led people into the beliefs that they could work or pay their way into heaven. Catholics can be christians, but then why would you call your self a catholic instead a chrisitan? That's like saying I'ma downhiller and not claiming cyclist-you're missing the picture. It's not about you as an individual-it's about Christ and what He did for the world. Claim Christ.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
According to Mormon doctrine, the Book Of Mormon was written way back before, during and shortly after Christ, but was not discovered and translated till 150 years ago. Now, is it true? Well I've heard extensive arguments pro and against, and I've never heard anyone change their mind one way or the other, so to be honest I really don't care to try to figure it out.

As far as the word of God being contained in other documents and through revelation and comunication with modern Christian leaders, I don't see why it could not be possible. The Bible afterall, though claiming to be the word of God, was written by men. Sinning, human men with their own prejudices, personalities, and fears. It therefore cannot be a perfect document, especially with the multiple translations it has gone through. The Bible, and whether it is a perfect representation of God's word is kind of a tangential discussion topic, but it seems to me that people living in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries might need a little clarification of God's word. That isn't saying God forgot anything at all. Just that we as humans are imperfect in our understanding of the word. What's wrong with a few extra notes to help us along. Did God stop communicating with men (and women for that matter?) when the last book of the Bible was finished? Do Christians not pray to communicate with God? Do they not pray with faith that God will answer? If God were to communicate with some religious leader, or even a layperson, and they transcribed that information / revelation, would that not be modern day scripture? Just food for thought. I'm going to Vegas.. Later!
Anyone who studies the book of Mormon will see right away it is an interesting piece of fiction. There is no geological evidence for ANY of the places named in it for example. EVERY place in the Bible has been discovered-except the garden, which is never to be discovered until the end times. The doctrines for Mormonism change as regularly as cultural trends-Christ is not lucifers brother-black people are not descendents of Cain, etc. etc. There are differences between cults and christianity, christianity stands on it's own. Cults are led by people. Talk to mormons, my whole family alomost is mormon-they have NO relationship with God-it is strictly rules and works to get into heaven. It is hard to read the Bible and not see that that is why Christ came in the first place-to establish relationship and end empty works as a means to get into heaven. Just the thought of wanting to get into heaven without having a relationship with God is silly and selfish.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Unfortunately, we would think this person who was "speaking to God" was mentally ill and hearing things.
And we would be absolutely correct.

I can't understand how any adult capable of rational thought can believe that something called "God" really faxed a small group of semi-intelligent primates a stone rulebook and then made a personal appearance later to warn them not to play with themselves or they'd end up in a big firepit. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This thread, at least, proves that resurrection is possible.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Catholics are less "in your face" than Christians, but they will come and convert you by force from time to time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Talk to mormons, my whole family alomost is mormon-they have NO relationship with God-it is strictly rules and works to get into heaven. It is hard to read the Bible and not see that that is why Christ came in the first place-to establish relationship and end empty works as a means to get into heaven. Just the thought of wanting to get into heaven without having a relationship with God is silly and selfish.
Maybe it's me, but the Mormons are far nicer/cooler than Born-Agains (perhaps it's the sincerity?). When I was 12 and in the post-Mo transition I took it upon myself to take a few different churches for test drives and discovered the Evangelical Born-Again places to be the most terrifying/sinister/fake of the bunch. In any case, you nebbish lot would do well to make nice-nice with the MoMos, as Romney is your ace in the hole for a prez "values"-wise, and they have a whole helluvalot more money than the evangelicals. In reference to your faux-relationship with da Jeebus, I'd say the Mormons also have a strong faux-relationship with some mythical being. There is that whole Holy Ghost bull****...

Makes no difference to me, both cults anyway. Your book is as full of **** as the BoM, Koran, or Torah is. Fvckin' whackjobs.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I always felt the only real difference between all religions is that:

The Catholics feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Baptists feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Mormans feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Muslims feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Jews feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The __________(insert religion here) feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

I think Buddism is the only theology that allows you to follow another religions, but I'm sure.

It's amazing how many people believe in God, but can't agree on a God to believe in or a way to worship him. Maybe we should discuss which religion is the wealthiest- surely that would be the true religion because "the Market" has proven it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The Jews feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven.
Not true at all.

And for one thing, Jews don't believe in hell.

that's a fvcking retarded concept.

"My" God wouldn't send you to hell for any reason.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I never understood the jewish religion. Please straighten me out. Jewish people believe in a God...and a Heaven, right so far?? But they believe when you die, that's it- you go nowhere?? I must have that wrong.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I have been. On a road trip. Is that near-ish Chicago?

I stopped at what is considered a fairly major town along the coast in IN on my way. I wanted some books, asked someone where the closest book store was and someone said, "I think they opened one of them new Barnes and Nobles a couple of towns away, about 45 miles."

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think I have been. On a road trip. Is that near-ish Chicago?

I stopped at what is considered a fairly major town along the coast in IN on my way. I wanted some books, asked someone where the closest book store was and someone said, "I think they opened one of them new Barnes and Nobles a couple of towns away, about 45 miles."
Tank Johnson is from Gary. Pretty good representative really.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I never understood the jewish religion. Please straighten me out. Jewish people believe in a God...and a Heaven, right so far?? But they believe when you die, that's it- you go nowhere?? I must have that wrong.
A big difference is that Jewish don't believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, our savior. "They" believe that our savior has yet to arrive.

My roommate and I drove home from Vegas two Sundays ago. Stuck in some traffic in BFE, we decided to turn on the local Gawd station for some entertainment. We listened earnestly for a good 30 to 45 minutes, agreeing with some and having a few good laughs (the dude played a ram's horn in the studio. wtf?). The best joke of it all was when it became apparent that this was a Jews for Jesus spiel. Laughed our f*cking @sses off.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I always felt the only real difference between all religions is that:

The Catholics feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Baptists feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Mormans feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Muslims feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The Jews feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

The __________(insert religion here) feel that their religion is the only true one and all others are false and won't get you to heaven. Their God is the one true God.

I think Buddism is the only theology that allows you to follow another religions, but I'm sure.

It's amazing how many people believe in God, but can't agree on a God to believe in or a way to worship him. Maybe we should discuss which religion is the wealthiest- surely that would be the true religion because "the Market" has proven it.

:clapping: