Quantcast

CBR1000RR Cassette transmission..

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
I was looking at honda canadas website and they are saying that the CBR1000RR has a close ratio Cassette type transmission for easy ratio modifications at the race track.

are they talking about a cassette simular to a bikes being housed in the transmission case being shifted by what I can only assume a "derailer like object" ???

Honda must have tested this "cassettee trans" in the RC112V GP racer

what Im really wondering is did they adapt this technolgy for use on Greg Minnaar's honda.

http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/CurrentModels/Sport/CBR1000RR5.htm?Year=2005

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Ok I'm too lazy to read that webpage to which you posted a link, but Honda's internal transmission is basically a derailleur and cassette in a can. Take a normal bike drivetrain (cassette, chain, derailleur, freewheel, bottom bracket), put it in a can, and mount it centered and low in the frame, and that's the Honda mtb transmission.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Dirt rider said:
I was looking at honda canadas website and they are saying that the CBR1000RR has a close ratio Cassette type transmission for easy ratio modifications at the race track.

are they talking about a cassette simular to a bikes being housed in the transmission case being shifted by what I can only assume a "derailer like object" ???

Honda must have tested this "cassettee trans" in the RC112V GP racer

what Im really wondering is did they adapt this technolgy for use on Greg Minnaar's honda.

http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/CurrentModels/Sport/CBR1000RR5.htm?Year=2005
It's not the same...it means that the complete cluster in the gearbox(gears, shafts and selector) can be removed without the needing to split the main crankcases

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
dexterq20 said:
Ok I'm too lazy to read that webpage to which you posted a link, but Honda's internal transmission is basically a derailleur and cassette in a can. Take a normal bike drivetrain (cassette, chain, derailleur, freewheel, bottom bracket), put it in a can, and mount it centered and low in the frame, and that's the Honda mtb transmission.
yeah I read about that.

basicly Im wondering is the same idea is being used on the CBR

a bike is High torque Low rpm Low horsepower

a motorcycle has when compared to a bicycle High tourqe (but fairly close to a bicycle) very high Rpm and very high horsepower (when compared to a bicycle.

My thought process makes me think that having a derailer shifting a chain over a Cassette turning @ 10,000 RPM things are going to eiter snap ,bend or wear out so fast that its not practical

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Zutroy said:
It's not the same...it means that the complete cluster in the gearbox(gears, shafts and selector) can be removed without the needing to split the main crankcases

Oh. thats pretty cool actualy, very practical for a racebike

thank you Zutroy :thumb:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Honda has been using this type of tranny since the late 80's. The NSR 250 GP bike I rode in 1989 was one of the first to use it. You could do a total gear change in under 30 minutes, and change any gear you wanted. Not just 1st-6th but the primary too.