Quantcast

CDN dollar

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah we have been holding out emptying the rest of our American accounts hoping for a better exchange rate but it doesn't look like that's going to happen so we're just going to have to bite the bullet...D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Sure come spend your money here. We will happily take it and the jobs that will follow.

We're going to send a message to our local businesses....."you'd better get your pricing in line"

They still price things here like they did when the dollar was at $.67. $80 Oakleys in the US at $150 here.....plus sales tax!

There is NO reason to shop locally right now.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
We're going to send a message to our local businesses....."you'd better get your pricing in line"

They still price things here like they did when the dollar was at $.67. $80 Oakleys in the US at $150 here.....plus sales tax!

There is NO reason to shop locally right now.
yeah I'm just wondering how long the adjustment will take to go into effect....right now I'm still paying nearly double for my car mags...D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My guess...never. Canadian consumers are used to paying inflated prices. The dollar has been at under 10c for a year now, and pricing hasn't budged. New product has been stocked at reduced pricing to the wholesaler, and still no price changes.

You shoudl see the absurd prices for high end canon gear in canada. Cheaper for me to buy from NY, ship at atrocious prices and pay 15% sales tax, than to order from Toronto with free shipping and only 7% tax. Like $500+ cheaper per item.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My guess...never. Canadian consumers are used to paying inflated prices. The dollar has been at under 10c for a year now, and pricing hasn't budged. New product has been stocked at reduced pricing to the wholesaler, and still no price changes.
that's what I'm afraid of...now that I'm here maybe I'll start a revolt...then I can be labeled as that "crazy American" :D

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
yeah I'm just wondering how long the adjustment will take to go into effect....
I was thinking that the US prices were just going to go up and screw everybody...I thought Specialized was already taking that approach? :confused:

Aren't you Canucked yet or are you just "here"?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I was thinking that the US prices were just going to go up and screw everybody...I thought Specialized was already taking that approach? :confused:

Aren't you Canucked yet or are you just "here"?
not quite...I'm still waiting on the slow ass FBI to send back my criminal background check...once that's done' I'll officially be a permanent resident...then I can apply for citizenship...D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

You shoudl see the absurd prices for high end canon gear in canada. Cheaper for me to buy from NY, ship at atrocious prices and pay 15% sales tax, than to order from Toronto with free shipping and only 7% tax. Like $500+ cheaper per item.
They're gonna have to sort it out soon as "enterprising" Canadians are going to start bringing back stuff from across the border at 3 in the morning and selling it out of car boots across the land.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
They're gonna have to sort it out soon as "enterprising" Canadians are going to start bringing back stuff from across the border at 3 in the morning and selling it out of car boots across the land.

shh....you'll blow my cover :D...seriously though i just bought a bunch of stuff online in the last 2 months because I knew I would be visiting my sister in California soon...D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a month ago, it cost me $1010 US for $995 cdn. i have about $100 cdn left over, and am converting it to baht for a friend. no way would i see close to $100 us.

also, y'ever notice books read one price in us dollars, & another in cdn which seems to always be 40% higher? what to the up?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
a month ago, it cost me $1010 US for $995 cdn. i have about $100 cdn left over, and am converting it to baht for a friend. no way would i see close to $100 us.

also, y'ever notice books read one price in us dollars, & another in cdn which seems to always be 40% higher? what to the up?
We consumers have noticed that. It goes beyond books. The revolution will be televised....