Quantcast

cement bike-only bikeparks

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Awsome!

I have a dream of building a concrete pump track/pool behind my shed. Imagine a big kidney bean shaped pool with a couple rollers across the bottom. . .

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Awsome!

I have a dream of building a concrete pump track/pool behind my shed. Imagine a big kidney bean shaped pool with a couple rollers across the bottom. . .

yeah part of what i was thinking about was how RAY's style trails lines would be essential to a bikepark, assuming there was enough space and money to do it.

why not have 2 cement trails loops around the outside perimeter of the more skatepark-ish set up?

assuming additional space and money, i'd do another area dedicated to street--trying to incoporate banks to planters, curved wallrides, rails with slanted (instead of flat) landings, etc.

kind of interesting how a skatepark design company won the bid to build a BMX park. although this would clearly be an awesome place to ride.... it does seem like a typical skate layout, with certain bmx tweaks--like the box jump pyramid and the sub-box. the coping-coping spine is debatable, i think most bmx'ers prefer the no-coping street-spine design with a 12" or 18" platform.

even though these basin+bowl style parks are awesome as far as lots of lines, they are difficult to ride when crowded. you never know which way a rider is going to go, and everyone has to stand around waiting. i think it's worth at least splitting the park into two halves that are not easy to cross over into so that you can keep groms and randomness under control, and then have the other half for more high speed intermediate/expert/pro level stuff.

nate wessel built some awesome setups for contests... then there were all kinds of places that looked rad in videos i never got to go to. like the old chenga, mesh, section 8 . . . .

another pic of Chandler. i like the rollable bubble things in the background.... :

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
not bike-only, but i hear is bike-friendly Louisville KY:

and this..........wtf ?

heh heh. these are bike-only strictly by design.

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
One near me, bikes not allowed but I hear they don't enforce the rule. . .

What do you think the minimum depth would be for a pool that you could air like a quarter?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . .

What do you think the minimum depth would be for a pool that you could air like a quarter?
rad BMX'ers will find a way to air out of damn near anything. but to answer your question... a typical BMX mini will be at a bare minimum 5 feet tall, more likely 6 or 7 with an 8' or 9' radius transition. a lot of skateparks built by old pool dogs IMO are too tight to be ideal for bikes--not saying dudes don't shred them, they're just not bmx-designed...

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
TT,
Where's that park that you listed/photo image near you? W.C.?

A buddy of mine said that the town of Denver (and maybe Lititz) have put them in. (Lanc. Co.)
Will have to find out more...
Eric

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Word!

I'll check on the other two leads... My friend Chris (with me at your place last/this year) lives in Lititz and told me about them. Thinking the one's not cement tho.

Up early today, huh?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
sweet !! i had not seen Fresno before.

* rhythm line
* BIG wallride
* larger radius capsule (larger than the one at my local skateboarder-designed park)
* rounded corner on box jump landing
* great spacing

. . . . rad !

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC

i dont think this will be bike only - but still, its going to be stupid sweet.

AND right in the middle of Manhattan.
I've got mixed feeling about this man. I went out there the other day, and it's in the middle of the harbor, so on a windy day it may totally suck. We'll see...

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I've got mixed feeling about this man. I went out there the other day, and it's in the middle of the harbor, so on a windy day it may totally suck. We'll see...
ha! mixed feelings? how is that even possible about a park that ill?
i think it will be ok, u ever session riverside park when it was open, right by the water and all? no one flew away.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
anyone ridden Hoffman's park in OKC?

http://www.okc.gov/parks/skatepark/index.html

11-foot half pipe
10-foot oververt pocket
Panda bowl with 3 shapes
Volcano with sub box on top
Loveseat
Molehill
Waterfalls
BMX Berm
Rollers
Bowls range in depth from 5 to 11 feet

8-stair with two hubba ledges and a handrail
Bank to flat bar
Bank to picnic table
Block Combos
Double set with a step up, hubba ledge and handrail
Manual pad

Transition decking
Flow Course
Steel Coping
Lighting
25 Parking Spaces
Picnic Bench
Free Admission
Public Art

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . so i've seen several dome constructions at cement skateparks, but i had the idea of combining a dome on top of ordinary box jump geometry.

rather than making the dome be a half-section of a sphere, the dome part is just a third of a sphere. the launch is a typical 2/3 of radius tall (5.3 ft. out of 8ft) i.e. 60 degree take-off. but because the dome is mellower, the result will be that you'll float above the surface instead of being stuck to it.
heh heh, whaddyall think? anyone ever seen a "roller" this big?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
weird article about a Fresno BMX park (looks like it's not the same park that opened in '08):

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/23/2051059/orange-cove-loses-state-grant.html

Orange Cove loses grant money for BMX park
Posted at 11:33 PM on Monday, Aug. 23, 2010

Orange Cove spent lavishly on a state-of-the-art BMX bike park that attracted few of the kids it was supposed to keep off the streets. Now the state is withholding a $490,000 grant that was meant to cover most of the cost.

The California Department of Parks and Recreation has determined that Orange Cove violated its own policies by awarding no-bid contracts and failing to properly document its spending on the bike park. As a result, the state is forcing the struggling farm town to pay for the whole project.

"There's too many blatant concerns with the way the money was handled," said Patti Keating, a Parks Department official in charge of awarding grants to cities and counties. "We couldn't support making the payments."

Keating said it's the first time in her five years on the job that she's had to terminate a grant in its entirety.

The city built the park with money from its redevelopment fund. Orange Cove City Manager Alan Bengyel said losing the grant means the city will have less money to pursue other projects.

It's unclear whether city operations will be affected.

Also, the state Parks Department may be less willing to award the city grants in the future because of how Orange Cove handled the bike park grant, Keating said.

Victor Lopez, the city's longtime mayor, has proudly touted the park as one of his major accomplishments. A Fresno Bee investigation last year, however, found that the city often broke its own rules in its rush to build the park, which opened in late 2006 as Lopez was facing a tough re-election campaign.

The city awarded no-bid contracts without City Council approval, kept incomplete records, failed to have all parties sign contracts and paid an electrical-supply company nearly $139,000 -- even though it didn't have a contract with the city, The Bee found.

The city put the mayor's son, Victor Lopez Jr., in charge of overseeing the park's construction even though he had no engineering experience. He also got paid for construction security work that he told The Bee he never did. In addition, he was paid to provide security for the city's adjacent skate park for 3 1/2 years, even though his contract was supposed to last only six months.

In the end, the park cost about $800,000 to build.

Glenda Hill, who joined the City Council in 2007, blamed Mayor Lopez for trying to rush the project and for failing to make sure the city followed its rules.

"Some grave mistakes were made by our mayor," she said. "It appears that there's a lack of transparency and honesty in putting the park together and building it."

Lopez, who has been mayor since 1986 and is up for re-election in November, disagreed with the Parks Department's findings and said he plans to appeal.

"I truly believe that there was a lot of misconceptions and a lot of dirty politics trying to make my administration look bad," he said, but declined to elaborate.

A Fresno County grand jury report in May echoed concerns raised by The Bee's investigation and by a July 2008 Parks Department audit of the project. It also questioned whether the city, which is home to about 11,000 residents, should even have a bike park. A BMX bike costs at least $1,000 -- money that few families in Orange Cove can spare. The town also doesn't have any hotels or many restaurants, which means it wouldn't benefit much from large events at the park.

Bengyel said that few people use the park. A BMX team that was coached by Victor Lopez Jr. folded in May 2009, he said.

The city bought seven BMX bikes, but they were all stolen last summer, Bengyel said.

The Bee investigation found that the city relied on subcontractors instead of paying a general contractor to oversee the job, thereby avoiding a city rule requiring bids on contracts worth more than $15,000.

But even some contracts larger than $15,000 were awarded without bids.

Mayor Lopez said those contracts did not violate city policy because the City Council declared the bike park an emergency priority at a September 2006 meeting. But the meeting's minutes don't reflect an emergency declaration.

The Parks Department sent Orange Cove a letter on July 30 letting the city know that its audit found that $220,000 spent on the bike park were ineligible costs and that costs totaling $301,000 were "questionable."

The department decided not to reimburse the city for any of the costs because its grant contract with the city had been breached.

The bulk of the project was completed under the guidance of former City Manager Bill Little, who died in a car accident in June 2008.

Last edited:

fresnocvb

Chimp
Sep 1, 2010
That is because it is a completely different park and city called Orange Cove. Fresno Is still operating the BMX Track, including all of the jumps just outside the track, as well as Mosqueda Park, ( a 33,000 sq. ft. bmx only cement park), Todd Beamer park ( a cement bmx and sk8 park), Kiaser Park ( modular ramp park), The Ark Vert ramp ( 14 ft. deck, 18ft. roll in, 42 ft. wide) and a couple other parks. Everything mentioned above is fully operational and bikes are welcome! Check out the links to see the parks for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPo9mZnDe0&feature=related

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
^ LOL ^

Seems like I read or heard of a group of citizens suing the city for something like 'inappropriate use of funds' because of a park similar to the one above. Basically the city spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on cement that was unusable by the intended group of users (skaters).

Personally, as a bike rider, I love when parks get build wrong..... :)