Quantcast

chain too long when using 40\42 teeth cassette

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
check my idea
I think no matter what we do, when going bigger on the back like 40-42 or today even 44...
the chain tension will be poor when using the 11 teeth when going downhill.
so maybe we need to have another chain guide up front, one that will also have a spring and pulley like on the derailleur,
and that will keep the chain tension.View attachment 121017
:no: That can't work. If you really need an additional chain tensioner (which I doubt), it has to go below the BB. Got any pictures of your current setup, preferably in the most stretched position?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
every pedal stroke you take is going to start with you taking the slack out of your tensioner.

just run a small upper guide, or a full guide and the proper length chain

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
yea I now see its medium cage. was sure I have a long (cage :) )
and you and Kickstand right , it needs to tension it from the bottom.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
here are pics of my setup
36 front
11-40 back
X9 type 2.1
View attachment 121023 View attachment 121024
That's a medium cage, which is probably ideal for your setup (assuming the clutch still works). I'd start by adjusting that chain guide properly, it looks like it's sitting way too high. If that doesn't help then I'd probably replace that chainring next, the teeth look pretty worn. If you're still dropping chains then you might need a guide with a lower pulley/ slider. You don't need an extra chain tensioner.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have a similiar setup- same derailleur, 11-42 one-up rear, 28t narrow wide front. It was mentioned previously, but the only difference in my setup is that I have the long B tension screw, and it's cranked in apparently quite a bit more than yours. aside from the sluggish shifting, I have sufficient (what I would consider "normal") chain tension in the 11t.
Chain was sized as short as possible, in the big cog, with the bike bottomed out.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
here are pics of my setup
36 front
11-40 back
X9 type 2.1
]
In the photo where the drailuer is being pulled tight, I think you could get away with removing 1-2 links (possibly even more) and still have some slack. That derailuer still has some room to stretch.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you can also tighten the tension on the clutch...the work loose over time, occasionally. carefully work the cap loose (next to the lockout button), tighten maybe 1/4-1/8 turn...

it'll also drop if the front ring is too worn.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
If you haven't cleaned the "narrow" portions of the front ring make sure to do so. Mine was dropping all the time until I cleaned them out good with a flat head screw driver. They tend to accumulate dirt and chainlube which prevents the chain from dropping in deep enough.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Your top guide is too high.

The reasons I linked to the One-Up guide above.

1 set-up instructions are idiot proof.
2 The little One-up guide does a better job of both retaining the chain and clearing of mud than ALL of the pointlessly long enclosed guide plates found derived from most DH top guides.
3 the shorter guide plastics of the One-up doesn't need to be compromised (angle/height) to allow for swing arm clearance.

A properly set-up top guide will help keep your chain on the ring even if your drivetrain is worn and your clutch mechanism loose. Yours isn't doing it's job.

For years (way before the existance of One-up) I'd bodged/made/cut all my top guides to be more open/smaller for ALL the above reasons. - if money is tight you can go this route too.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
well, my chain guide may look too high, but it is not. the front of it, seat 2 mm on top of the chain.
the rear of it probably built like this to make it work when the suspension work. it supposed to be higher in the back of it.
but yes, my front N\W ring is worn out, I will replace it soon.
I'm going to order the Sunrace 10 speed 11-42 cassette too, that will even make my chain longer by at least 2 links....
any suggestions for N\W ring?

thanks guys for all the answers

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you need a new ring and cassette I'd suggest upgrading the drivetrain entirely at this point.
My X01 set-up has been flawless (30t ring, no guide, never dropped a chain even at bike park).
If you can get one, the Cromag direct mount rings are great.