Quantcast

CHALLENGE: You must now drive from wherever you are to Anchorage. You can only use your DD.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stole this off Reddit, but thought it would be a fun slow day game here.

How would you go about preparing your daily for that drive?

Rules are: Must be your daily driver $5,000 or equivalent to spend on mods, wheels, repairs, etc. $600 for gas Journey begins in November. NO roadside assistance once inside Canada. 1 week to arrive.

So let's hear it!! Really curious to see what cars would be going and how you guys would prepare for that! Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just think I need to tell the wife and the job about the trip and the Volvo XC70 is ready no need for mods or repairs. 600 should be plenty of gas money and 1 week driving time should be enough too. Where do I get my price?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's what i would need:

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Daily Drive: BMW M5

Mods:
Roof rack to carry lots of extra fuel
Light bar attached to said rack, so as not to hit a moose
Put on my winter tires and grab 2 spare wheels
Snowshoes and winter camping gear so I can get around and have somewhere to sleep when I run out of gas in the Yukon Territory.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
+/- $500 for gas
Oil change at the start, no mods or repairs needed.
Drive for 6-7 days, so 5-6 nights in a hotel.
$50/day for food.

What's the challenge, exactly?

edit: tent and food for the stint between BC and Anchorage??

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Mods:
Get it to leave the garage
Snowshoes and winter camping gear so I can get around and have somewhere to sleep when I run out of gas in the Yukon Territory.
yup

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
here's what i would need:

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.
There's nothing more depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Pffttt.... They had to truck in snow for the Iditarod this year.
this. If anything, get four seasons and bring chains. but I doubt you'd need chains.

Just checked. That's a 4000 mi drive for me. All I'd need is a shit-ton of podcasts on my phone and my Mazda CX-5 is ready to go. I guess I'd check/top up fluid levels...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Mods:
Doesn't the highway go all the way up there? It's not like you have to small back roads. I guess if winter then some good winter tires would be nice and supplies in the car in case you get stuck in some bad weather. Plenty of room to sleep inside the Volvo. I would be nice to bring some hot girl for company and we could help keep each warm at night.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Doesn't the highway go all the way up there? It's not like you have to small back roads. I guess if winter then some good winter tires would be nice and supplies in the car in case you get stuck in some bad weather. Plenty of room to sleep inside the Volvo. I would be nice to bring some hot girl for company and we could help keep each warm at night.
It does, but the M consumes gas like it's going out of style. 15 mpg street, 22 highway.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
anchorage is quite far from here...
i´d do an oil change. take a few air/fuel/oil filters, cash in $20 bills and a credit card and start driving... would ferry the panama channel, and posibly most of guatemala.

i drove from new orleans to acapulco when I was 18 (similar distance), on a beat up 4 liter jeep cherokee my friends and I purchased on a whim on the Texas border for $4k..... did it on $600 over one spring break, and had change leftover for beer in south padre island, acapulco and mexico city; including some emergency repair in the sierra madre (fuel filter clogged) and a ghetto brakejob somewhere in northern mexico after frying the brakes...

I seriously considered riding a motorcycle back from Alabama to Peru, once I left college.... but my family convinced me not to.
still on my bucket list of things to do. probably will once my kid is old enough to fend for himself...

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My car is a road trip monster. The weekend after I bought it we did 1700 miles over 4 days and got 28mpg (EPA is 17/26) average. That included high speed runs through the redwoods and down the Oregon coast. I can fit the wife, both dogs, both kennels and a few choice pieces of luggage.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My car is a road trip monster. The weekend after I bought it we did 1700 miles over 4 days and got 28mpg (EPA is 17/26) average. That included high speed runs through the redwoods and down the Oregon coast. I can fit the wife, both dogs, both kennels and a few choice pieces of luggage.
Did you get something other than an upside down vette?