Quantcast

CHDH RACEwas fun, BUT.....

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
I think that the event was more organized than the 1st redbull rampage was. Great job guys. I've help put on events with 500-1000 competitors before, it is hands down one of the most difficult/stressful things to do. Congratulations RIDE SFO for putting on your first successful event.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Maybe it's just because I don't know any better, but I had a great time at CHDH. It was my first ever mtb race (well, except for SCORBA!! :)), and I thought that overall rideSFO did a great job. Sure there were a few kinks here and there, and I'm sure it will be better next time. I guess the most annoying thing for me was waiting for the results and then having them completely forget about the class I was in. Sure I would have like to hear my name called out over the loudspeakers for placing, but that's really just my ego. The main thing was that I got to ride a great course, hang with buddies, and didn't get hurt. I'm hooked. Just signed up for Sea Otter. See ya there.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
holyrider said:
you homo's complaining need to zip it. I don't think. No wait! I know you guys could not even have come close to doing a better job if you tried to put on such an event.
So it's ok that they messed up some things because we couldn't do it better? If you go to a race, local or not, you expect things to run a certain way. When the award ceremony and results go like they did people get annoyed. By continuing this race they set themselves up for this, the racers expect it to run as it has in years past and it didn't.

And to the GGG organizer, were you at the race to see the CHDH podium? You guys had a podium area with photos and medals for everyone. The CHDH had an announcer (which couldn't be heard very well) quickly rattling off the podium calling the winners up. I heard my name, super stoked to podium, and went up to the announcer to find a tiny area (during the raffle everyone had crowded around him), no medals and a hat for me. I realize that this was their first time and it's tough but if I could choose one thing for them to do better next time it would be a better organized award ceremony. As a racer I felt my efforts were disrespected with the ceremony. The awards are a time for racers who worked their ass off to have all the attention on them, for many people this is an important part of the race. Obviously Ride SFO respects the racers (why else would they do the race) but much more effort should have been put in to this.

If any of the organizers are on this board, sorry for any of my (and our) harsh comments. You guys tried really hard and all things considered did an awesome job. You organized 300 racers and a huge raffle and took on a very important Bay Area race. Props to all of you who volunteered for this and good luck next year.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Unless you are a pro and you had money on the race you have lost point in the point of riding. If you are getting so mad about time on something that realy doesnt matter, why do you care? It was a fun course, good people, and good riding. If you are realy that pissed off about the race times, then this isnt the sport for you. Unless you are sponsored it is about having a good time, not being the beating every one else.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
holyrider said:
you homo's complaining need to zip it. I don't think. No wait! I know you guys could not even have come close to doing a better job if you tried to put on such an event. You try something first you figure out how to do it better the next time. Phil and his crew put on in awesome event with the money and support they had. yeah the timing of the race was a little wierd but I am sure they did not have the bank that NORBA does. For a local event you need to support it not bitch and moan about it. Good event Phil and Your crew. Oh yeah and the raffle was killer. HUGE!!! thanks for the good time.
I actually did put on a two part race in SC a couple of years ago, consisted of a dh race and a pixie bike race. All the times were perfect for the DH race (althoug it was only 16 people) and the pixie bike race's only mishaps were when daisy ate concrete and when that dude got stitches in his lip.

EDIT: Dude, we seriously need to do another SCORBA race. Someone find a good piece of property so we can build a pixie course again. As for the DH portion, I was thinking of something like chupa cabra or sweetness...

EDIT:EDIT: RideSFO is a bunch of pimp and pimpettes fro building such a pimp/ -ette course.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
TheMontashu said:
Unless you are a pro and you had money on the race you have lost point in the point of riding. If you are getting so mad about time on something that realy doesnt matter, why do you care? It was a fun course, good people, and good riding. If you are realy that pissed off about the race times, then this isnt the sport for you. Unless you are sponsored it is about having a good time, not being the beating every one else.
Well, we do pay money to attend races, so it is expected that they are run a certain way and that things run smoothly. If we just wanted to have fun and ride, couldn't we just go there the practice day, not pay, and ride the course?

Check all of the sigs, many people on this site are sponsored. And with the Sponsorhouse craze, many become more and more worried about their results...

I agree that you should have a good time, but if you are going to pay money to race it should work well. If not, what are you paying for?

I think its great that they took it on and did a great job, the awards ceremony and possibly timing were the only things I found to be lacking. The raffle, course, and everything else was great.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
beaverbiker said:
as far as big sky goes, gotta stick with the Summer Honey. that's by far my favorite. my dad is a huge advocate for the moose drool though. before bevmo carried it, he used to buy it on the internet.
Did anybody ever tell you that you are too tall to ride bikes? Get over it man...try the high jump or something.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
El_Chimichanga said:
EDIT: Dude, we seriously need to do another SCORBA race. Someone find a good piece of property so we can build a pixie course again. As for the DH portion, I was thinking of something like chupa cabra or sweetness...
We sure do. For the pixie course there's Dufour! And for the DH it should be Airborne for sure. Start "gate" at the top right before that little lip through the 2 trees, then take the left further down to cut out that uphill. That would be sick. Long too.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
black noise said:
We sure do. For the pixie course there's Dufour! And for the DH it should be Airborne for sure. Start "gate" at the top right before that little lip through the 2 trees, then take the left further down to cut out that uphill. That would be sick. Long too.
Hmmmm...du-fer might actually be a good idea...
I think airborne has too much side hill exposure for a race type format. What about the top of airborne from where you were talking about, then connect back to sidewinder and hook a right at the big stump to leaf trail? Mark it up with caution tape in the morning...
Chupa cabra is still the steepest, longest, most downhill orientated trail besides airborne...I love that trail.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
That route would have a ton of pedaling though. Maybe Chupacabra, I've just never been on it. If it's like you say it'd be cool.

Anyway, back to talking about the CHDH.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
black noise said:
That route would have a ton of pedaling though. Maybe Chupacabra, I've just never been on it. If it's like you say it'd be cool.

Anyway, back to talking about the CHDH.

you've never been on chupa cabra? Do youself a favor and hit it up.

It's one of my personal favorites..... then again what do I know, I just ride skateparks.