Quantcast

Cheap-a$$ computers

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So...... what's the best cheap computer deal going out there right now? I want processing power (photo editing mostly)... not so much interested in gaming or much of anything else. Would like to have a good number of expansion possibilities (3-4 slots open in back)...

Any screaming deals out there right now? Under $500 is my budget.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Build it if you want the ability to upgrade further...Just my experience. Most lower end computers come with mobos with 1 pci expansion slot, or tiny formfactors, or whatever. You have all the peripherals and a monitor? If so, no problem getting one together...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Dell always has some sale going on.

You could get something like this:

http://bensbargains.net/deal/45246/

Add the Core 2 Duo processor upgrade for $70, and the 20" monitor upgrade for another $20.

Probably not a whole lot in the way of expansion, but in another couple years you can just buy another faster one for the same price.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Dell always has some sale going on.

You could get something like this:

http://bensbargains.net/deal/45246/

Add the Core 2 Duo processor upgrade for $70, and the 20" monitor upgrade for another $20.

Probably not a whole lot in the way of expansion, but in another couple years you can just buy another faster one for the same price.
[rant]
Why FFS won't it let me choose NO OPERATING SYSTEM? Goddam scam... :mad:
[/rant]

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - when you say "photo editing", what exactly do you mean? Lightweight everyday stuff or deep Photoshop work?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
BTW - when you say "photo editing", what exactly do you mean? Lightweight everyday stuff or deep Photoshop work?
I'm talking my wife opening 10 Nikon RAW files and doing a bunch of crazy $hit with Nikon Capture then opening them in Gimp and doing a bunch more crazy $hit.

The 900 will do it... but she gets pi$$ed waiting for it.

Oh - she does alot of batch processing too. That takes forever. I think she just needs some CPU to be honest.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh - she does alot of batch processing too. That takes forever. I think she just needs some CPU to be honest.
CPU + RAM = Happy Happy.

Go for a Core 2 Duo machine w/ at least 2gb ram and you will be stoked.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
CPU + RAM = Happy Happy.

Go for a Core 2 Duo machine w/ at least 2gb ram and you will be stoked.
That's kind of what I figured... maybe I'll just build the damn thing myself. Now if this was a rack mount server I'd have no problem building it... does anyone have any suggestions for DIY?

This will be utilitarian - I'm looking for solid stuff but am uninterested in sexy or any of that nonsense.

Help a :monkey: out... I've got too many kids to do much research on my own. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Do you need a new monitor? If not, DIY. If you do, going with a prebuilt option is SOOO much cheaper.

But yeah, what H8R said. Core 2 Duo+2gb of RAM=happy .RAWing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Case: Antec. Any.

Solid and simple. Get one with an Antec PS.

Mobo - I love my MSI (for Athlon anyway)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That spec looks pretty good. I'd be inclined to add a second drive to it, a bigger storage drive. ~250gb or more. If your storage needs are small, it'll allow you to keep a copy of important data on both drives which should help protect against drive failure. Plus, storage needs will go up fast with RAW files so it'll give you some room to grow.

Only thing that I see sorely lacking in that build is a decent video card but you won't need it if all you do is photo editing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
That spec looks pretty good. I'd be inclined to add a second drive to it, a bigger storage drive. ~250gb or more. If your storage needs are small, it'll allow you to keep a copy of important data on both drives which should help protect against drive failure. Plus, storage needs will go up fast with RAW files so it'll give you some room to grow.
I've got data security covered with backups. I'm still probably going to go with a small OS drive and a larger data drive. Although I'm going to turn the old PC into a NAS-type storage device... it'll run Linux with software RAID...

And I've already got a 1/2 terrabyte drive I picked up a few months ago, so maybe I'll throw that in...

Hmmm...